Jump to content

Transferring Visa etc To New Passport


Recommended Posts

You need to photocopy every page that has a stamp on both passports as requested by the officers who are fond of photocopies and also fill up a form.

 

I just did mine last week.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

if you were still in the Kingdom when renewing the passport then your embassy may have provided you a transfer request letter that Thai Immigration would like presented with both old and new passports.

 

Though, interestingly, if you renewed your passport while out of the kingdom but have a multiple-entry visa or kept your extension (permission-to-stay) active with a re-entry permit then no letter is needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricTh said:

You need to photocopy every page that has a stamp on both passports as requested by the officers who are fond of photocopies and also fill up a form.

That seems a little excessive since the new passport will not have any stamps in unless it was used for entry.

Normally they only want a copy of the photo page of both passports, Copies of every page that has a stamp or visa for Thailand in the old passport.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the request letter from the UK Embassy and will go armed with copies of the stamped pages from my old passport plus photo pages from both.

 

Still no clue as to how long this takes: should I take a book or plan to go out to lunch somewhere?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That seems a little excessive since the new passport will not have any stamps in unless it was used for entry.

Normally they only want a copy of the photo page of both passports, Copies of every page that has a stamp or visa for Thailand in the old passport.

That is what I said exactly... pages with a stamp.

 

Although it's not clear whether it means pages with a non-visa related stamps (eg. exit from Thailand stamps) are also included which I find silly. But I didn't want to argue with them because they couldn't understand much English anyway.

 

If the new passport doesn't have any pages with a stamp, why would you need to photocopy it?

 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I have the request letter from the UK Embassy and will go armed with copies of the stamped pages from my old passport plus photo pages from both.

 

Still no clue as to how long this takes: should I take a book or plan to go out to lunch somewhere?

 

It really depend on your imm. office and the people who came on that day.

 

For me, it took less than one hour after submiting the documents. No need to queue up cause it's a separate counter.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

That is what I said exactly.

You wrote this.

 

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

You need to photocopy every page that has a stamp on both passports as requested by the officers

I defined it down pages with stamps and visas for Thailand. The way your wrote it could mean all pages that something on it.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You wrote this.

 

I defined it down pages with stamps and visas for Thailand. The way your wrote it could mean all pages that something on it.

 

There are many types of stamps. 

1. Visa and extension stamps

2. Entry and exit stamps to other countries

3. Entry and exit stamps to Thailand

4. Photo page.

 

The officer didn't tell me which ones but her English is poor and just pointed to the photocopy girl at the back of the office and said lazily 'she will know what to do'.

 

The photocopy girl photocopied all pages with a stamp i.e all non-blank pages and also the photo page.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The officer didn't tell me which ones but her English is poor and just pointed to the photocopy girl at the back of the office and said lazily 'she will know what to do'.

That is not correct.

When I did the transfer to my new passport I was already aware of what stamps and visas were were required. 

It is the same ones they want when I do my extensions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got new UK passport from UK embassy in BKK.  Embassy gave me letter to immigration asking them to transfer visas to new passport.

Morning visit to local I/O (Phayao) got   retirement visa stamped into new passport with minimum fuss and I do not recall much cost.  if there was any copying needed it was done at I/O, and not excessive.  probably only the visa pages from old passport.

Sorry but I cannot remember the details, only that it was easy, (unusually so for anything connected with Immigration dept.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been through three passports while in Thailand.  The copies I was asked for during the last visa transfer were the Non-O A visa retirement stamp showing the date of my first retirement visa, which was a copy from my first passport, the latest visa stamp, the front page with photo and signature, the last entry into Thailand stamp, and a copy of the TM-30 from my last entry into Thailand.

 

When you transfer your visa to a new passport that immigration officer will not transfer any reentry visa you have in your old passport.  You need to see the immigration officer that issues the reentry visas to get the reentry visa transferred to the new passport.  Of course that probably isn't very important under the current circumstances but keep it in mind for the time when the pandemic is over.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

I have been through three passports while in Thailand.  The copies I was asked for during the last visa transfer were the Non-O A visa retirement stamp showing the date of my first retirement visa, which was a copy from my first passport, the latest visa stamp, the front page with photo and signature, the last entry into Thailand stamp, and a copy of the TM-30 from my last entry into Thailand.

 

When you transfer your visa to a new passport that immigration officer will not transfer any reentry visa you have in your old passport.  You need to see the immigration officer that issues the reentry visas to get the reentry visa transferred to the new passport.  Of course that probably isn't very important under the current circumstances but keep it in mind for the time when the pandemic is over.

 

I met a grumpy female office who was too lazy to explain which pages to copy.  Just a simple word of 'every page'.

 

Do you have to copy all the previous years extension as well?

Edited by EricTh
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...