Transferring Visa etc To New Passport

if you were still in the Kingdom when renewing the passport then your embassy may have provided you a transfer request letter that Thai Immigration would like presented with both old and new passports.

Though, interestingly, if you renewed your passport while out of the kingdom but have a multiple-entry visa or kept your extension (permission-to-stay) active with a re-entry permit then no letter is needed.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

You need to photocopy every page that has a stamp on both passports as requested by the officers who are fond of photocopies and also fill up a form.

That seems a little excessive since the new passport will not have any stamps in unless it was used for entry.

Normally they only want a copy of the photo page of both passports, Copies of every page that has a stamp or visa for Thailand in the old passport.

I have the request letter from the UK Embassy and will go armed with copies of the stamped pages from my old passport plus photo pages from both.

Still no clue as to how long this takes: should I take a book or plan to go out to lunch somewhere?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That seems a little excessive since the new passport will not have any stamps in unless it was used for entry.

Normally they only want a copy of the photo page of both passports, Copies of every page that has a stamp or visa for Thailand in the old passport.

That is what I said exactly... pages with a stamp.

Although it's not clear whether it means pages with a non-visa related stamps (eg. exit from Thailand stamps) are also included which I find silly. But I didn't want to argue with them because they couldn't understand much English anyway.

If the new passport doesn't have any pages with a stamp, why would you need to photocopy it?

32 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I have the request letter from the UK Embassy and will go armed with copies of the stamped pages from my old passport plus photo pages from both.

Still no clue as to how long this takes: should I take a book or plan to go out to lunch somewhere?

It really depend on your imm. office and the people who came on that day.

For me, it took less than one hour after submiting the documents. No need to queue up cause it's a separate counter.

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

That is what I said exactly.

You wrote this.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

You need to photocopy every page that has a stamp on both passports as requested by the officers

I defined it down pages with stamps and visas for Thailand. The way your wrote it could mean all pages that something on it.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You wrote this.

I defined it down pages with stamps and visas for Thailand. The way your wrote it could mean all pages that something on it.

There are many types of stamps. 

1. Visa and extension stamps

2. Entry and exit stamps to other countries

3. Entry and exit stamps to Thailand

4. Photo page.

The officer didn't tell me which ones but her English is poor and just pointed to the photocopy girl at the back of the office and said lazily 'she will know what to do'.

The photocopy girl photocopied all pages with a stamp i.e all non-blank pages and also the photo page.

14 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The officer didn't tell me which ones but her English is poor and just pointed to the photocopy girl at the back of the office and said lazily 'she will know what to do'.

That is not correct.

When I did the transfer to my new passport I was already aware of what stamps and visas were were required. 

It is the same ones they want when I do my extensions. 

I got new UK passport from UK embassy in BKK.  Embassy gave me letter to immigration asking them to transfer visas to new passport.

Morning visit to local I/O (Phayao) got   retirement visa stamped into new passport with minimum fuss and I do not recall much cost.  if there was any copying needed it was done at I/O, and not excessive.  probably only the visa pages from old passport.

Sorry but I cannot remember the details, only that it was easy, (unusually so for anything connected with Immigration dept.)

I have been through three passports while in Thailand.  The copies I was asked for during the last visa transfer were the Non-O A visa retirement stamp showing the date of my first retirement visa, which was a copy from my first passport, the latest visa stamp, the front page with photo and signature, the last entry into Thailand stamp, and a copy of the TM-30 from my last entry into Thailand.

When you transfer your visa to a new passport that immigration officer will not transfer any reentry visa you have in your old passport.  You need to see the immigration officer that issues the reentry visas to get the reentry visa transferred to the new passport.  Of course that probably isn't very important under the current circumstances but keep it in mind for the time when the pandemic is over.

18 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

I have been through three passports while in Thailand.  The copies I was asked for during the last visa transfer were the Non-O A visa retirement stamp showing the date of my first retirement visa, which was a copy from my first passport, the latest visa stamp, the front page with photo and signature, the last entry into Thailand stamp, and a copy of the TM-30 from my last entry into Thailand.

When you transfer your visa to a new passport that immigration officer will not transfer any reentry visa you have in your old passport.  You need to see the immigration officer that issues the reentry visas to get the reentry visa transferred to the new passport.  Of course that probably isn't very important under the current circumstances but keep it in mind for the time when the pandemic is over.

I met a grumpy female office who was too lazy to explain which pages to copy.  Just a simple word of 'every page'.

Do you have to copy all the previous years extension as well?

In Jomtien last week with UK Passport.  

I needed embassy letter, filled in a form and copies of old and new passport picture pages along with copies of last visa and subsequent extension pages.

Submitted late morning and collected after 2pm next day.  No charge.

OK, here's the answer you've all been debating: CM immigration, today 3:00pm...

They needed:

• UK Embassy Letter that VFS provided
  • Immigration form with the same basic details as the above
  • Old passport + copy of photo page
  • New Passport + copy of photo page
  • Signed copies of every (Thai) stamped page in the old passport
  • Original arrival card
  • Receipt for latest 90 day report

Immigration very quiet, but no parking spaces available due to huge flagpole thing they are construction opposite the main door.

No charge (as expected) and the whole thing was completed in 25 minutes.

Archived