Thailand is in the process of "Ease of Doing Business" reforms

This is the sign language of power. Read: We (who are in the know) expect to have the plebs vaccinated during '21 (because otherwise they won't travel), such that by '22 we can start to resume our lives as we mean to remember - only now bio-controlled. Welcome to the NWO. 

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

49% ownership is a major obstacle for international business.

It's a dead end, always has been, always will be.

I think they are talking about making business easier for Thai’s.  I can’t imagine they are sufficiently progressive to want to make things easier for foreigners to complete with Thai’s.  They know they can’t win on a level playing field.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Invest 100% of the capital in a thai company and then you may own it for a maximum of 49%. ????

That’s how easy doing business they have made. Work-permits extensions etc also very easy ????????????

If you invested 100% of the capital for 49% of the shares, you've been suckered.  Like everywhere in the world, there's more money in Thailand looking for returns than there are good investment opportunities.  If you can't find that money, I'd suggest you revisit your business plan.  And look for capital in places over 10' away from the bar.

BTW, by capital, I don't just mean "cash".  It can come on the form of real estate, machinery, and other contributions that are very difficult for foreigners to manage...

Strange how Ford, GM, Toyota, Western Digital and 10,000 other foreign companies can do business in Thailand without giving up the crown jewels to their Thai partners.  They structure their Thai entity as a subsidiary and keep the decisions, the technology and the cash in their home countries.  If you can't figure out how to do that, I'd suggest taking some international business classes.  Or hire people who have a clue...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you invested 100% of the capital for 49% of the shares, you've been suckered.  Like everywhere in the world, there's more money in Thailand looking for returns than there are good investment opportunities.  If you can't find that money, I'd suggest you revisit your business plan.  And look for capital in places over 10' away from the bar.

BTW, by capital, I don't just mean "cash".  It can come on the form of real estate, machinery, and other contributions that are very difficult for foreigners to manage...

Strange how Ford, GM, Toyota, Western Digital and 10,000 other foreign companies can do business in Thailand without giving up the crown jewels to their Thai partners.  They structure their Thai entity as a subsidiary and keep the decisions, the technology and the cash in their home countries.  If you can't figure out how to do that, I'd suggest taking some international business classes.  Or hire people who have a clue...

It's possible to do business in a country that requires you to have a do nothing local partner, but it's certainly not an incentive to bring business here.

7 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

It's possible to do business in a country that requires you to have a do nothing local partner, but it's certainly not an incentive to bring business here.

Why on earth would you take on a do-nothing local partner?  You're certainly not required to seek out a deadbeat partner.  Most of the foreigners we did business with had very active Thai partners who contributed cash, real estate, distribution networks and other capital that foreigners struggle with in Thailand.  Not to mention greasing the skids with local authorities.  That's what they contribute for their 51%.

Of course, if you want to open a business with your favorite bar girl, that's different.

Edited by impulse
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Why on earth would you take on a do-nothing local partner?  You're certainly not required to seek out a deadbeat partner.  Most of the foreigners we did business with had very active Thai partners who contributed cash, real estate, distribution networks and other capital that foreigners struggle with in Thailand.  Not to mention greasing the skids with local authorities.  That's what they contribute for their 51%.

Of course, if you want to open a business with your favorite bar girl, that's different.

If the typical local partner contributed 51%, there would be no need for the requirement. 

1 minute ago, ftpjtm said:

If the typical local partner contributed 51%, there would be no need for the requirement. 

If you pick a partner that doesn't contribute 51% in cash or in kind, whose fault is that?  As stated previously, there's a lot more Thai people with money and resources looking for opportunities than there are good investment opportunities. 

But they don't go chasing sad dreamers sitting on barstools lamenting how unfair the Thai system is.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you pick a partner that doesn't contribute 51% in cash or in kind, whose fault is that?  As stated previously, there's a lot more Thai people with money and resources looking for opportunities than there are good investment opportunities. 

But they don't go chasing sad dreamers sitting on barstools lamenting how unfair the Thai system is.

But it is an impediment to locating a business here.

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

Go  on keep on insulting people. Most of those that I know with an active Thai partner lost that business to that active Thai partner :).  Even the big companies that actually have a choice get cheated by their Thai (business) partner. A big French swimming Pool constructor for example. Probably bar girls are more trustworthy than a Thai (Chinese) business partner ????  I understand why they have that law, I just don't understand why we in the West don't have such law.

45 minutes ago, impulse said:

what does "greasing a skid" mean ?

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

49% ownership is a major obstacle for international business.

It's a dead end, always has been, always will be.

It might depend of you business and how much you invest. You can for example as foreigner/foreign company own a hotel 100 percent, if you invest enough in the project (if I remember right, it's from 500 million baht and up). I presume there will be similar possibilities in other kind of business. US Americans can own a Thai company 100 percent, even a small one...????

• Like 1

Really! Why not prepare a plan and execute it to vaccinate the entire population against Covid within the next 6 months that would be a start then a plan for an even playing field for business with minimal red tape and visa requirements and execute it. 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Meh....

It's not about 51/49

It's about ease of doing business as it is about finding competent Thai staff.

My wife tells me only Thai Engineers are worth their salt. The rest are incompetent and lazy.... most likely both.

Just yesterday wifey read me a Thai article about Vietnam obliterating Thailand in just about every aspect of business. She is concerned as the has been a sales manager for 10 years in a Japanese company that if you know their culture don't promote females, let alone females that aren't Japanese. So she knows what she is talking about as she is very very good at her job. She thinks there is no future in Thailand and in 5 years she will be redundant. All the companies you mentioned in your post she has very close relations with and knows all the rumors first hand. 

Do you?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Govt hopes to make Thailand one of the top countries for business in two years

hope, wish and if are words constantly used by Thai government..... as for business, I did business in many different SEA countries over the past 25 years, Thailand was never one of them, even China, with it's difficulties for foreign business, was  a piece of cake compared to Thailand.... as Thailand was never/is not a foreign business oriented country

More crazy and fake news. He says He added that Thailand is ready on all aspects, especially logistics infrastructure, in order to achieve this goal. Huh? Where is the high speed rail for cargo? Any company manufacturing here, that is interested in domestic sales and distribution, is limited to distribution by trucks up to 40 years old, on overly clogged highways. What infrastructure is he referring to?

Combine that with a bloated baht, overly zealous mountains of red tape, poor english skills, challenging visa policy, limited ownership rules, and an administration that is both despised and hugely incompetent, and I do not think this is anything more than another one of the silly and fleeting dreams of the TCOU crowd (Thailand is the center of the universe).

Talk to us about sacrifices. What are you guys willing to give up? Are you willing to lower luxury taxes? Are you willing to offer a tax holiday for new companies? How about ownership of properties? Land? 5 or 10 year visas for management? Come on. Get real. Do something. Anything, but incessant blabbering, about policies that were designed by empty suits, that have no substance, nor any hint of progressive policy. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

You can't do business in Thailand without engaging in corruption, that is big problem for many companies all over the world trying to do business in Thailand, because any under the table money paid in Thailand could easily end them in jail in their home country.

• Like 1