Jump to content

Extreme low body temperature


Recommended Posts

In Big C extra Pattaya they now have those automatic temperature check where you wave your hand in front of a sensor.

 

Today when I enter there is a Thai lady in front of me, very white skinned all over her body, and when she holds her hand in front of the sensor and the display shows Lo.

 

She waves again but the display doesn't reset, so the big C employee waves and the display resets.

 

Then the lady waves again, and the display again displays Lo, so the employee has to wave again to rest, and this goes on 3 times that I have seen.

 

The fourth time it displays 32.5°, and she is allowed to pass.

 

My temperature shows 36.7°, so clearly the unit is not faulty, and actually at 32.5° I think people would be dead.

 

So someone can explain

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that happen twice at the local Macro,around 32 celsius but i am still alive.

Faulty reader,now no one around here seems to be bothered with checking temp. anymore.

With what is happening up north it will probably be reinstated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Susco said:

and actually at 32.5° I think people would be dead.

 

Nah, that's moderate hypothermia territory. Certainly strange reading though given your's seemed to be in the right ball park.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

 

Nah, that's moderate hypothermia territory. Certainly strange reading though given your's seemed to be in the right ball park.

 

The strange thing is that it didn't happen once, but 3 times displaying Lo, and the fourth time the extreme low temperature.

 

If it was an error in the appliance, I would think it would happen once, but the staff had each time to reset the display by waving his hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a young woman that worked for me whose body temp was consistently below normal. She was always cold, always wore leggings and heavy sweaters in the office even on hot summer days.  I forget the name of the affliction, it's quite rare.  I believe some type of anemia.  She was diagnosed as a child.

Edited by dddave
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes have a low axillary temperature reading. Don't worry (assuming a doctor says don't worry). I once took my wife to hospital over her hypotension, I've never once seen her go above 90/60, most of the time below that. She was dizzy from time to time, but the doctor said some people are just like that, don't worry. I sure wish my BP was as low as hers.

 

 

 

 

Edited by NilSS
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hands and feet will be colder than your internal cor body temperature on cold days, or if you are in a cold air conditioned or similar environment and are not being active or wearing socks / gloves.

 

It does not mean you have a low body temperature..

Only means you extremities are cooler because your body has reduced blood flow to them and stopped most blood going to the surface layers of your skin.

 

The lady probably has been sitting for a while in an air conditioned vehicle or room before having her hand temp checked.

 

If your core body temperature goes down only a couple of degrees you will be seriously at risk of death! 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Her husband complains she fridged ...

regards worgeordie

 

I guess mine is too, she checked her temp with a hand reader in Central today, 32.something. Just washed her hands.

Personally I'm fascinated by the temperature cameras at airports these days. Amazing technology.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Susco said:

In Big C extra Pattaya they now have those automatic temperature check where you wave your hand in front of a sensor.

 

Today when I enter there is a Thai lady in front of me, very white skinned all over her body, and when she holds her hand in front of the sensor and the display shows Lo.

 

She waves again but the display doesn't reset, so the big C employee waves and the display resets.

 

Then the lady waves again, and the display again displays Lo, so the employee has to wave again to rest, and this goes on 3 times that I have seen.

 

The fourth time it displays 32.5°, and she is allowed to pass.

 

My temperature shows 36.7°, so clearly the unit is not faulty, and actually at 32.5° I think people would be dead.

 

So someone can explain

 

No explanation, other than she may need medical attention.  With these hand sensors I mostly come out at 36.2 to 36.5, and I've noticed Thais are much the same.  So. combined with your description there is a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One possibility would be 'Raynaud's Phenomenum', which I have myself.  Spasms in the nerves within the tiny arteries of the feet and fingers cause contraction and in extremis, blockage, so that blood has trouble reaching the extremities.  Fingers go blue then white, very patriotic if you are Scottish.  I come to Thailand to avoid it, but aircon has to be avoided as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple had their temperature tested at the Avenue and were both 37.2+, alarm went off, they looked around and went straight in, I tested mine straight after and it was 36.4, so machine was working OK, point is no one is taking any notice of these warnings 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A couple had their temperature tested at the Avenue and were both 37.2+, alarm went off, they looked around and went straight in, I tested mine straight after and it was 36.4, so machine was working OK, point is no one is taking any notice of these warnings 

 

37.2 is not an abnormal body temperature as far as I'm aware, average temperature is 36.5 - 37.5, so why the alarm or concern?

 

image.png.aea6b369ac52e24c60dab304485d1d95.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...