Extreme low body temperature

Susco

In Big C extra Pattaya they now have those automatic temperature check where you wave your hand in front of a sensor.

Today when I enter there is a Thai lady in front of me, very white skinned all over her body, and when she holds her hand in front of the sensor and the display shows Lo.

She waves again but the display doesn't reset, so the big C employee waves and the display resets.

Then the lady waves again, and the display again displays Lo, so the employee has to wave again to rest, and this goes on 3 times that I have seen.

The fourth time it displays 32.5°, and she is allowed to pass.

My temperature shows 36.7°, so clearly the unit is not faulty, and actually at 32.5° I think people would be dead.

So someone can explain

I had that happen twice at the local Macro,around 32 celsius but i am still alive.

Faulty reader,now no one around here seems to be bothered with checking temp. anymore.

With what is happening up north it will probably be reinstated.

7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Nah, that's moderate hypothermia territory. Certainly strange reading though given your's seemed to be in the right ball park.

The strange thing is that it didn't happen once, but 3 times displaying Lo, and the fourth time the extreme low temperature.

If it was an error in the appliance, I would think it would happen once, but the staff had each time to reset the display by waving his hand.

I had a young woman that worked for me whose body temp was consistently below normal. She was always cold, always wore leggings and heavy sweaters in the office even on hot summer days.  I forget the name of the affliction, it's quite rare.  I believe some type of anemia.  She was diagnosed as a child.

Edited by dddave

I sometimes have a low axillary temperature reading. Don't worry (assuming a doctor says don't worry). I once took my wife to hospital over her hypotension, I've never once seen her go above 90/60, most of the time below that. She was dizzy from time to time, but the doctor said some people are just like that, don't worry. I sure wish my BP was as low as hers.

Edited by NilSS

Hands and feet will be colder than your internal cor body temperature on cold days, or if you are in a cold air conditioned or similar environment and are not being active or wearing socks / gloves.

It does not mean you have a low body temperature..

Only means you extremities are cooler because your body has reduced blood flow to them and stopped most blood going to the surface layers of your skin.

The lady probably has been sitting for a while in an air conditioned vehicle or room before having her hand temp checked.

If your core body temperature goes down only a couple of degrees you will be seriously at risk of death! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:

In Big C extra Pattaya they now have those automatic temperature check where you wave your hand in front of a sensor.

Today when I enter there is a Thai lady in front of me, very white skinned all over her body, and when she holds her hand in front of the sensor and the display shows Lo.

She waves again but the display doesn't reset, so the big C employee waves and the display resets.

Then the lady waves again, and the display again displays Lo, so the employee has to wave again to rest, and this goes on 3 times that I have seen.

My temperature shows 36.7°, so clearly the unit is not faulty, and actually at 32.5° I think people would be dead.

So someone can explain

No explanation, other than she may need medical attention.  With these hand sensors I mostly come out at 36.2 to 36.5, and I've noticed Thais are much the same.  So. combined with your description there is a problem.

One possibility would be 'Raynaud's Phenomenum', which I have myself.  Spasms in the nerves within the tiny arteries of the feet and fingers cause contraction and in extremis, blockage, so that blood has trouble reaching the extremities.  Fingers go blue then white, very patriotic if you are Scottish.  I come to Thailand to avoid it, but aircon has to be avoided as well.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A couple had their temperature tested at the Avenue and were both 37.2+, alarm went off, they looked around and went straight in, I tested mine straight after and it was 36.4, so machine was working OK, point is no one is taking any notice of these warnings 

37.2 is not an abnormal body temperature as far as I'm aware, average temperature is 36.5 - 37.5, so why the alarm or concern?

image.png.aea6b369ac52e24c60dab304485d1d95.png

The temperature the device is reading is probably calibrated for the hand of the subject being a specified distance from the detector.

As no test subject knows what that distance should be, it's not surprising readings would be all over the shop.

When people would fail the head temperature check at our local mall they would ask them to stand under the air con in the doorway for 5 minutes.

Now the “ operator “ of the hand temp monitor pushes it forward to touch your hand every time you wave your hand in front, when I complained about this practice the “ operator “ says that it is broken and only works upon touching, been like that for about 3 weeks already.

I think the directive is not to protect the population only to appear to protect the population !!

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The temperature the device is reading is probably calibrated for the hand of the subject being a specified distance from the detector.

As no test subject knows what that distance should be, it's not surprising readings would be all over the shop.

My temperature seems to be a consistent 36.4 or there abouts on those machines

1 hour ago, Susco said:

37.2 is not an abnormal body temperature as far as I'm aware, average temperature is 36.5 - 37.5, so why the alarm or concern?

image.png.aea6b369ac52e24c60dab304485d1d95.png

As a guess they are set not just at fever temperature but higher than average temperature, most people are in 36ish

23 hours ago, Susco said:

So someone can explain

Mine going into Central Chaengwattana showed 33C on my forehead ... my wifes showed 36C+ ...the car air con had been blowing on my forehead

On 12/1/2020 at 11:14 AM, scubascuba3 said:

A couple had their temperature tested at the Avenue and were both 37.2+, alarm went off, they looked around and went straight in, I tested mine straight after and it was 36.4, so machine was working OK, point is no one is taking any notice of these warnings 

Assuming we are talking celcius, 37.2 isn't serious. 37 is normal. Have to be above that for me to be calling the Dr.

google tells us

Normal: 36.5–37.5 °C (97.7–99.5 °F)
Fever: >37.5 or 38.3 °C (99.5 or 100.9 °F)

According to the brow scanner in the dentist's office I should be hypothermic. Took it with my own thermometer later and it was normal.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Assuming we are talking celcius, 37.2 isn't serious. 37 is normal. Have to be above that for me to be calling the Dr.

google tells us

Normal: 36.5–37.5 °C (97.7–99.5 °F)
Fever: >37.5 or 38.3 °C (99.5 or 100.9 °F)

According to the brow scanner in the dentist's office I should be hypothermic. Took it with my own thermometer later and it was normal.

I went to Memorial a couple years ago because my fever wasn't breaking, anyway they measured it, it was 42 degrees, said it was "high", probably Covid

Edited by scubascuba3

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I went to Memorial a couple years ago because my fever wasn't braking, anyway they measured it, it was 42 degrees, said it was "high" probably Covid

Did you lose your sense of smell and taste?

If I'd taken a patients temp and it was 42 I'd be calling the Dr for sure.

I had a friend who put his child in bed under a load of covers because she complained she felt cold ( but felt hot to touch- sure sign of fever ). When he finally asked me I checked it and it was high enough for her to start convulsions. She went into a tepid bath pretty fast. Had an ear infection and antibiotics fixed her.

BTW, in these times every one should have a thermometer. When we went into lockdown I bought the last one available in the town.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you lose your sense of smell and taste?

If I'd taken a patients temp and it was 42 I'd be calling the Dr for sure.

I had a friend who put his child in bed under a load of covers because she complained she felt cold ( but felt hot to touch- sure sign of fever ). When he finally asked me I checked it and it was high enough for her to start convulsions. She went into a tepid bath pretty fast. Had an ear infection and antibiotics fixed her.

BTW, in these times every one should have a thermometer. When we went into lockdown I bought the last one available in the town.

Yes I bought a Mercury thermometer recently from Fascino 49 baht, good to check what your normal temperature range is so you know when something is ify

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I went to Memorial a couple years ago because my fever wasn't breaking, anyway they measured it, it was 42 degrees, said it was "high", probably Covid

A couple of years ago they were already informed about Covid in memorial?