My Mate Nate back in Thai favour ??

Andrew Dwyer

Hey, Andrew.  Whatever happened to that young Thai guy I believe you befriended, the one who  had the blog at 16 and was given a column in the Bangkok Post.?

IRRC, he was going great then his life did a huge U-turn and he ended up in Jail for drugs and armed robbery.  Maybe 10 years ago? 

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

What is it with mormon missionaries coming here and becoming youtube stars?  Let's not forget the original mormon convert Adam Bradshaw, AKA Ajarn Adam. I know they all receive Thai language training prior to 'mission,'  but do they also teach digital marketing skills?

I don't know him, but I have heard of his ridiculous videos. Including one about showing a cat vs scorpion. Moronic videos seem to make a lot of bank though. Have a look at his estimated earnings; https://us.youtubers.me/my-mate-nate/youtube-estimated-earnings

On behalf of the cat in his video, I do hope he got a solid kicking and lost a tooth or two on the '10 fight 10' show.

He won his bout, wasn’t a pretty match as both were definitely not boxers but they went at each other with gusto and Nate came out well in front .

Increasing his celebrity status no doubt ????

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have to give the guy credit for turning from a Mormon missionary into a respected , if not by everybody, YouTuber.

Anyone that has the courage to escape the religious bs they were fed as a child,

I say good luck to them,  for going forward.

• Like 1

Let the first YouTuber, living here, embarrassing Thailand, they will be kicked out very quickly.

One complaint and they are toast.

They live in Thailand, make their videos only in Thailand and some make a profit.

They are not travelling through Thailand, no, they are living here.

Work permit? No.

Just a matter of time when they will have a close look at those "movie stars".

Edited by AlfHuy

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The beauty of lot of foreign YouTubers in Thailand is that at some stage they think they are stars and they think they can do whatever they want and they think they get away with it.

And then one day they find out that their thinking was incorrect. Bye bye Thailand, we won't miss you.

I am sure with this crazy guy it is also only a question of time when we will leave the country (again).

This one is here to stay I think , with just shy of 10 million subscribers on YouTube he has survived 3 “ scandals “ as said above and here he is on prime time tv getting cheered on by celebrities and followers alike .

950487D5-B88B-4494-8408-CA5E36425B82.jpeg.1523a5de3ffe9d24d5e254af0a837ce1.jpeg

1 minute ago, AlfHuy said:

Let the first YouTube, living here, embarrassing Thailand, they will be kicked out very quickly.

One complaint and they are toast.

They live in Thailand, make their videos only in Thailand and some make a profit.

Work permit? No.

Just a matter of time when they will have a close look at those "movie stars".

He got fined for putting coins on railway lines here in Thailand ( not Thai coins I believe, that would have been a different story ), slated for cruelty to animals video ( a cat fighting a scorpion for example ) and took some public stick for trying to humiliate Thai students in videos using innuendo and racy slang in English.

Yet here he is to tell the tale ........ as my old dad would say “ he must have the negatives “ ????

To all outward appearances the Thais love him and expats are the ones voting for his deportation !!

Don’t get me wrong, I am not a fan , just wondering how he has risen again ( it’s not even Easter ????).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

To all outward appearances the Thais love him and expats are the ones voting for his deportation !!

There was a petition started by Thais which garnered thousands of signatures for his deportation. The petition, which had been signed by over 50,000 people, demanded that the Thai government kick him out of Thailand because he has “caused public annoyance and disrespected Thai people.” The petition went on to cite his previous misbehavior, adding that his YouTube channel, which he makes profit from, is “easily accessible by children” and is “setting a bad example” to the country’s youth, who staunchly defend him on internet forums.  

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:04 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Personally, he is not my cup of tea but he has , reportedly, made a lot of money from his antics on YouTube and he must be doing something right

Or just tapped into people with the same lack of mental capacity as his own?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Or just tapped into people with the same lack of mental capacity as his own?

Yup, seems like people are easily led nowadays.

The Tide Pod Challenge being a prime example of how people are desperate to fit in .

Obviously this guy hasn’t led anyone into anything as dangerous as that ( as far as I am aware ) but his coins on the track and cat fights scorpion videos were certainly  bad ideas that IMO should have resulted in some sort of ban or punishment ( 5000 baht I think was all he paid for the train stunt ).

• Like 1

I've seen many young guys like this become a victim of their own their own self importance here.  Eventually, he will learn, he's just another lowly farang here, like the rest of us.  

Whilst many retirees have worked hard all their life and are now enjoying the fruits of their labour in their twilight years here, this young guy is going to have to come up with idea after idea after idea for a video, and they will have to be popular, with a fickle crowd, or he doesn't earn. 

In many cases, the content of the videos have to get risker,  just to re-entertain their viewer base.

I doubt he will still be in Thailand 12 months from now, unless he has another source of income, legal, or illegal.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I've seen many young guys like this become a victim of their own their own self importance here.  Eventually, he will learn, he's just another lowly farang here, like the rest of us.  

Whilst many retirees have worked hard all their life and are now enjoying the fruits of their labour in their twilight years here, this young guy is going to have to come up with idea after idea after idea for a video, and they will have to be popular, with a fickle crowd, or he doesn't earn. 

In many cases, the content of the videos have to get risker,  just to re-entertain their viewer base.

I doubt he will still be in Thailand 12 months from now, unless he has another source of income, legal, or illegal.  

I came here young and certainly wouldn't wanted to retire here at 60 after a 9-5 for 40 years with the chance of dying any day. 

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I came here young and certainly wouldn't wanted to retire here at 60 after a 9-5 for 40 years with the chance of dying any day. 

If you wouldn't want to retire here, why would you want to come here when you were younger?  That makes no sense.  Especially if working, as the salary here isn't worth much in the west.

Most holidayed here before retiring here.