Jump to content

Covid test issued 72 hours prior departure


Recommended Posts

Hi to all

I have a question to which I haven't found an answer both on the net and here on the forum

Let's assume that the test is positive just  few hours before the departure or that the flight is delayed, therefore invalidating my certificate as it would go beyond the 72 hours. I assume I would be denied to boarding in the event like that 

Then what happens to the payments that I obviously had to do in advance, I mean the covid insurance quarantine package etc ... Will I lose that money or will be there  any sort of compensation?

I hope someone can give me an exhaustive answer on it since it doesn't seem  a trivial matter

Thanks in anvance 

 

Edited by Russel
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Russel said:

Will I lose that money or will be there  any sort of compensation?

 

No compensation. How much out of pocket you will be will depend on your travel insurance and the conditions of your bookings e.g. does your travel insurance cover such an eventuality, changeable flights and if so any fees involved, how much have you paid up front for ASQ and cancellation policy of the same.

 

Bottom line, in the current situation, due diligence across all facets of your trip is a lot more important than normal IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Salerno said:

 

No compensation. How much out of pocket you will be will depend on your travel insurance and the conditions of your bookings e.g. does your travel insurance cover such an eventuality, changeable flights and if so any fees involved, how much have you paid up front for ASQ and cancellation policy of the same.

 

Bottom line, in the current situation, due diligence across all facets of your trip is a lot more important than normal IMO.

So I should have a travel insurance to be more peaceful  I think it's the wise solution

Thank you indeed

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Russel said:

So I should have a travel insurance to be more peaceful

 

I would, chances of coming back positive obviously depends on where you are and what "risks" you've been exposed to but I'd hate the scenario you proposed to happen to me that's for sure. Just double check everything to minimise potential losses then look forward to a relaxing two weeks in lockup before being free to roam again. Happy travels 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Russel said:

snip

 

... Will I lose that money or will be there  any sort of compensation?

I hope someone can give me an exhaustive answer on it since it doesn't seem  a trivial matter

Thanks in anvance 

 

Check all of the cancellation policies before booking.  For the airlines, the normal refundable or non-refundable ticket is going to apply for most people.  They haven't added any extra "out" for a positive covid test that I'm aware of, but maybe there is.   Most of the ASQ's have some cancellation for positive test, or denied COE.  Or change of dates, but not all, so have to ask them directly.  

 

The Covid insurance through the Thai insurers (Home - Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org), does allow a refund, less international transaction fees, for a positive test.  But you have to tell them right away, before the trip is supposed to start.  Or at least mine has this clause.  I suspect they are all the same terms since it seems to be a pool of insurers doing this.

 

Quote

7. Refund of Insurance Premium
The Company will refund the Insured Person the insurance premium that has been paid by the Insured Person after deducting the actual international fund transfer fees and difference of currency exchange rate upon the occurrence of any of following cases:
7.1 The Insured Person has not been granted a visa and/or certificate of entry;
7.2 The Insured Person changes the date of departure and/or arrival.
In the case of 7.1 and 7.2, the Insured Person must inform the Company of such event before the date of departure that the Insured Person has declared to the Company, with the exception that the Insured Person can demonstrate that there is a justifiable reason that the Insured Person was unable to inform the Company within the specified period.
7.3 If the Insured Person does not have a result of the medical examination for the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic issued to him or her within 72 hours prior to the departure from the country of origin, or the result of the medical examination for the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) positive is positive within 72 hours prior to the departure from the country of origin.
 

 

On travel insurance, there are specific new terms that have been added due to Covid, so have to check with the specific insurer.  In general, fear of Covid isn't a covered reason for cancellation insurance to apply, but a positive Covid test is.  Also including a non-traveling family member testing positive if it is life threatening case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, thats easy. All prepaid money is gone. But not wasted, your help the ASQ hotel, the airline and the Thailand Covid-19 insurance.

May be you should pay some extra refund insurances incl. legal protection insurance for the lawers

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Russel said:

So I should have a travel insurance to be more peaceful  I think it's the wise 

May be you should pay some more insurances incl. legal protection insurance for the lawerslegal protection insurance for the lawers

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Russel said:

Hi to all

I have a question to which I haven't found an answer both on the net and here on the forum

Let's assume that the test is positive just  few hours before the departure or that the flight is delayed, therefore invalidating my certificate as it would go beyond the 72 hours. I assume I would be denied to boarding in the event like that 

Then what happens to the payments that I obviously had to do in advance, I mean the covid insurance quarantine package etc ... Will I lose that money or will be there  any sort of compensation?

I hope someone can give me an exhaustive answer on it since it doesn't seem  a trivial matter

Thanks in anvance 

 

It is from the booked time of departure. If it is delayed it's not your problem. But you would check in as normal 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...