New Rider, "Is it ok to go for big bike?"

screwman

This is my first post in Thaivisa. I am 3 months to 55. Living in Bangkok for past 15 years. Never have a bike license. I have a Filano for me to go from home to 7-Eleven.

Since a teen many years ago I dream of having a big bike. Now that I am getting older I was thinking there's not much time left and I gotta do it now or never. So I intend to go get my riding license and after that go get a big bike (750-1200cc type). I have absolutely no experience riding on open roads. Is it advisable to get my dream bike soon after getting my license or better to wait and ride a normal bike to gain experience first? I drive a lot in Thailand though as I am a salesman.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, hydraides said:

Riding a 750cc+ bike in Bangkok, Sorry but that's a death sentence waiting to happen, even if you are experienced......you would be nuts to ride a powerful bike around Bangkok. Too many cars skipping lights, way too busy with too much traffic, crazy minibus drivers and pickup drivers etc etc. Thailand is in top 5 countries in the world for road deaths. 

Even if you're riding in somewhere like Koh Samui, its a bit better but not by much.....

My advice just don't do it.....

Thank you. My plan is to go upcountry with my colleagues who does this often in their big bikes. I don’t plan to use it for traveling within Bangkok though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Since you've been riding illegally for years...why change now with a big bike ?

oh I have not really ridden except going to convenient stores near home talking about 2-4km on minor roads. Completely no experience on major roads.getting a big bike is a dream to travel with friends to countryside 

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

if you don't know how to ride a big bike the first thing that will happen is you will drop it. 

suggest you start looking at YouTube how to ride videos then practice turning and stopping in a remote place like a empty Makro parking lot. emergency avoidance of a object is critical to learn. mastering a proper u-turn on a big bike takes time and is very difficult to do in Thailand because of the constantly changing madness that is going on all around you. 

i have  a Honda click 125cc and a Kawasaki Versys 650cc. 37,000 kilometers all over Thailand on the Versys and no accidents. However I don't drink and I plan everything I do far in advance. Riding the Click is super easy. The Kawasaki is a big physical effort.

have you ever worn riding gear in Thailand? I am covered head to toe when I go out out on the big bike. Just that alone is a challenge in this heat and humidity. make sure you invest in a proper helmet. boots that you can slam your feet down without any hesitation and give you good traction and cover your ankles would be next followed by gloves. this would be bare minimum to wear while practicing. 

the Kawasaki is so much more difficult to maneuver in traffic. It is very heavy. parking is difficult and requires more space. Duck walking the bike is hard to do. 

i would buy a Kawasaki 300cc Ninja if you want to go fast and have a bike you can drop and scrape up and learn on and then buy something larger after a year or so. many used bikes now. 

and there is another issue. the "muscle memory" of switching between a automatic scooter and and manual big bike. in a emergency you will default to years of what you do on a scooter which is to hit both hand brakes. if you do that on a big bike one will be the clutch and you are dead. it takes time to overcome this automatic reaction. 

good luck.

Very insightful thanks a lot.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

You can sit in a rocking chair, be bored and sit and think about why you didn't do it and got out riding and enjoy life while you can.

Thank you @guzzi850m2 this is very assuring. I have the same attitude as your paragraph above. Still I’m coming into this forum to post hoping to get some good advice which so far I am getting them and I’m grateful to all of you.

• Like 1