New Rider, "Is it ok to go for big bike?"

screwman

On 11/30/2020 at 11:54 PM, screwman said:

This is my first post in Thaivisa. I am 3 months to 55. Living in Bangkok for past 15 years. Never have a bike license. I have a Filano for me to go from home to 7-Eleven.

Since a teen many years ago I dream of having a big bike. Now that I am getting older I was thinking there's not much time left and I gotta do it now or never. So I intend to go get my riding license and after that go get a big bike (750-1200cc type). I have absolutely no experience riding on open roads. Is it advisable to get my dream bike soon after getting my license or better to wait and ride a normal bike to gain experience first? I drive a lot in Thailand though as I am a salesman.

It is all a choice, either you ride a bike or as for many the bike drives you..... :cheesy:

• Haha 1

Go for smaller ones 250-400cc range. the smaller ones are more dangerous due to being so lightweight, smaller tires, and lack of safety features like ABS. 

On the other hand, Bigger ones above 400cc are heavy for new riders. 

good choices would be the Z300, MT03,ninja 400 or even the Honda Rebel 300. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 7:53 AM, screwman said:

Finally, after residing in Thailand for so many years I decided to go get a Thai motorcycle license 

EA8F9946-DAE0-4AF3-A58F-E8CCFFB3ABB8.thumb.jpeg.e2d859faaef4a8256fa485537fc3a70d.jpeg

It’s time to shop for a real bike this weekend????

Don't forget that you need to get the big bike driving license in about two months if you want to ride a bike above 400cc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:57 AM, jackdd said:

Don't forget that you need to get the big bike driving license in about two months if you want to ride a bike above 400cc.

Yes it starts on February 19th. I have checked with school and so far there is still no detail on classes nor tests requirement. I will keep a look out on this and if available will report.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, screwman said:

Went to a few bike shops to shop for a bike and compare prices it seems all are one price anyway settled on a ship that sells multiple brands - 

The bikes on your pictures are all small bikes.

2. Motorcycle driving license 

Not required to buy a motorbike

Finally settled on this Honda ADV150

Why a scooter? I thought "It’s time to shop for a real bike this weekend"?

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

Didnt botter reading all of the advises you got here

Conatct these guys, they will give you good training and also have bikes for you to use when you do their classes. 

And sure lots of those who give advises here would and should do a class or two as well. 

https://xrc-the-xtreme-paradise.com/courses/

If you had bothered to read at least the last few posts, you would have noticed that he bought a new small scooter and not a big bike ????

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you had bothered to read at least the last few posts, you would have noticed that he bought a new small scooter and not a big bike ????

Small bike  big bike still need to know how to handle a bike ???? never to old to learn better tricks 

• Like 1

Congrats on finally getting your "dreambike" after all the time spent thinking and reading the recommendations of guys here. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much since you've dreaming about it ever since your'e a teenager. As they say, live life to the fullest,  and you're currently living the dream. 

Well done. 

Edited by alx123
An askhole is basically a person who asks for opinions or advices, yet does the opposite. Their true intentions for asking is a mystery.
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, alx123 said:

Congrats on finally getting your "dreambike" after all the time spent thinking and reading the recommendations of guys here. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much since you've dreaming about it ever since your'e a teenager. As they say, live life to the fullest,  and you're currently living the dream. 

Well done. 

And you! take it personal which is hillarious ????

Edited by Tagged
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tagged said:

Didnt botter reading all of the advises you got here

Conatct these guys, they will give you good training and also have bikes for you to use when you do their classes. 

And sure lots of those who give advises here would and should do a class or two as well. 

https://xrc-the-xtreme-paradise.com/courses/

Thank you for the link. Was very excited when I went in the link see what they do however when

in contacted them found out they are in Pattaya. Sad.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Yes big bike ordered coming end February use this ADV for practice on main roads to gain confidence and experience.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

So what kind of Big bike did you end up with?

First of all I really appreciate your link I’m actually looking for a school just like that ????. They responded to my LINE immediately, good guys they are.

Got the Goldwing (DCT) white from Bigwing 

Edited by screwman
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I do remember when I bought the Filano many years ago license was not required. This time now my staff in charge of logistics and transport brought me to the shop at Payasuren and the boss of that shop asked me for my license, made 2 photo copies and made me sign on the copies.

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

And you! take it personal which is hilarious ????

Why should I? This is a fun thread actually. ????

Esp Now, that we know "screw" is finally buying his dreambike a month or two from now. 

I'll bet he'll be more than fully ready to jump from his ADV150 to his Goldwing DCT in two months. Way to go screwman! ????

Edited by alx123
Askhole LOL

On 12/1/2020 at 3:03 AM, hydraides said:

Riding a 750cc+ bike in Bangkok, Too many cars skipping lights, way too busy with too much traffic, crazy minibus drivers and pickup drivers etc etc.

Most of the above is utter rubbish as any proper Bangkok driver will tell you. 

The major downside is the slow speed of the traffic, police stops on 3 lane roads for not riding in the left lane, stopping at traffic lights in the sunshine and riding on wet roads at the begining of the rainy season. If the OP lives in the burbs and can leave Bangkok quite easily then OK. Of course OP will have to learn all the new routes out of town as he can't use expressways and some overpasses.

If OP lives downtown it is OK very early in the morning on a Sunday otherwise all of the above mentioned.  

At 55 maybe avoid sports bikes? Too much weight on the arms at slow speeds in Bangkok. 

Hmm. Let go of the Fino and get a Honda Forza for a year. You don't need to relearn anything and can use it to venture out of Bangkok. If really flush and need to impress there is always a BMW 400.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alx123 said:

Why should I? This is a fun thread actually. ????

Esp Now, that we know "screw" is finally buying his dreambike a month or two from now. 

I'll bet he'll be more than fully ready to jump from his ADV150 to his Goldwing DCT in two months. Way to go screwman! ????

Oh, Goldwing huh, thought that was for big boys who just was tired of their HD dream ????

35 minutes ago, screwman said:

First of all I really appreciate your link I’m actually looking for a school just like that ????. They responded to my LINE immediately, good guys they are.

Got the Goldwing (DCT) white from Bigwing 

I would absolutely give them a thry, especially when you make such a huge step to a big and heavy bike. When you can afforth such a bike, there is good reasons to also do the proper training needed. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 11:54 PM, screwman said:

This is my first post in Thaivisa. I am 3 months to 55. Living in Bangkok for past 15 years. Never have a bike license. I have a Filano for me to go from home to 7-Eleven.

Since a teen many years ago I dream of having a big bike. Now that I am getting older I was thinking there's not much time left and I gotta do it now or never. So I intend to go get my riding license and after that go get a big bike (750-1200cc type). I have absolutely no experience riding on open roads. Is it advisable to get my dream bike soon after getting my license or better to wait and ride a normal bike to gain experience first? I drive a lot in Thailand though as I am a salesman.

I am ex AU biker extreme!!!!   DONT do it here....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If the OP lives in the burbs and can leave Bangkok quite easily then OK. Of course OP will have to learn all the new routes out of town as he can't use expressways and some overpasses.

Yes I live in the suburbs around Fashion Island and it’s easy access to major roads to everywhere without the need for tollway and expressway 

32 minutes ago, alx123 said:

This advice a little too late. Screw's went for the real thing; a Goldwing 1800cc. No sweat at all for sure after a month or two learning to ride on his ADV150. 

I'm always late for a party. Does the Goldwing still have reverse?

• Haha 1