New Rider, "Is it ok to go for big bike?"

screwman

39 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I find this impossible to believe.

Rode Pans, Shovels, Evo, Twin Cam. Felt every flat tire.

If - and a BIG if - you were running a rear car tire like we did in the 60's, I can maybe see it.

But other than that - no way

i googled all of those and none even came up with a pic on what sort of bike you are referring to, and even less did they tell how many cubic.

and again, i said i could discern i was out of air, but only because i knew the bike so well it was like an extension of my body, not like a scooter that inform by going down in an instant

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

If you do not know what they are, you never rode a chopper

Or you rode a Japanese "wanna look a like" "chopper"

you keep deflecting from my question,

what size of bike are you referring to ?

its fully plausible that tyre thickness scale with weight,

have you ever own and daily ride a bike above 1000 cc,

long enough that you eventually got a puncture ?

i also argue that chopper vs racer is going to make a difference on the front tyre, due to weight distribution.

someone driving a racer do so in a fetal position with most of the weight closer to the front wheel,

which i suspect is going to influence balance and sensitivity more then on a chopper where most of the body weight

is on the back tyre

Edited by scammed

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Pan, Shovel, Evo, Twin Cam - all models of Harley Davidsons

If you rode a 'chopper' and do not know what these terms mean ...

Or do you mean a chopper in Thailand - a 250cc single cylinder Honda

it sounds like you have no actual experience in ownership and daily driving

of a heavy chopper, you found some names on some bike forum

that you think can make up for riding experience

• Confused 1

On 12/29/2020 at 9:49 PM, alx123 said:

Hey, TS got a real bike already. Let it go guys!

Spent the long New Year weekend zipping around eastern Bangkok with the ADV150, its pretty fun I must say. I am more confident now doing cornering and driving between cars.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:00 AM, canthai55 said:

This from a person who says he rides choppers and does not know what a shovel is

clown.jpg

Actually we referred to them as Pan head, shovel head, etc., due to the shape of their cylinder head. Never dropped the word head when discussing. But my 'chopper' was a '72 Triumph with coffin tank, hard tail, and springer front end, so what do I know.

Edited by frantick
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wonder how's TS doing with his Goldwing now? Realizing his teenage dream of owning real  bikes, guess he's too busy riding to give us an update here. 

Did the ADV150 really helped him prepare for the Goldwing?

Did he had trouble somehow with the big Goldwing?

Or did he buy a different model?

Or maybe he decided that the ADV is good enough and kept it? 

Too many unanswered questions. ????

I wouldn't do it. I have been riding bikes for 49 years. Without any serious accidents. A few minor ones over the years. Riding a bike here is very dangerous. If not the highest, one of the highest fatality rates in the world. And an accident here can be very costly, to your person. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have three friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last several years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. The third one is a close friend, who was hit by a sidecar, and nearly lost his leg. 11 operations later, he can walk, but with a limp, and the leg caused him constant problems, many years later. 

I would advise getting a smaller bike. Maybe a bike like a Honda Forza 350. Easy enough to drive, enough power to take some road trips, and good training. A step up from your little scooter. After a year or two, begin by taking some shorter trips. Get some training. Learn how to become a good bike rider, how to avoid accidents, how to react, and how to survive. Bangkok traffic is insane, the average driver can be cavalier at best, and it is all about them, and not you, even if you have the kind of experience I have, and many of the guys on this forum have riding a bike. The issue I have with a crotch rocket, is that there are few highways here, where it is safe to ride them at high speeds. So, it ends up becoming either a big tease, or a death trap. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, alx123 said:

I wonder how's TS doing with his Goldwing now? Realizing his teenage dream of owning real  bikes, guess he's too busy riding to give us an update here. 

Did the ADV150 really helped him prepare for the Goldwing?

Did he had trouble somehow with the big Goldwing?

Or did he buy a different model?

Or maybe he decided that the ADV is good enough and kept it? 

Too many unanswered questions. ????

In January the Big Wing dealership called and informed me there’s an update on the model to Goldwing 2021 with quite a few changes (please see the video below). Dealership asked me if I wanna wait but it will be coming in April. I agreed.

The ADV150 had definitely given me more confidence on the road now after 2 months and I highly enjoyed the ride.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 12:00 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

You should get a turbocharged Hayabusa. Who wants one of those girly bikes in stock condition?

354 km/h wheelie? ????

One of the riders of my team has held the wheelie world record for several years at 257.2 km/h, that was in the mid nineties, and the current world record is held by a Dutch man and stands at 343.3 Km/h, and trust me, you don't realize that on a highway

Edited by Susco
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

I do not understand ...

OP says he has never had a big bike in post #1, and now buys one of the biggest bikes around.

Yes correct. My first bike was a Yamaha Filano to go to 7-Eleven, then last year the Honda ADV150 to practice on major roads help me get use to be on big roads for the Goldwing. Goldwing will not be my daily vehicle, its for going upcountry with my group of big bike colleagues.

By the way I have beed scheduled to go for 20hrs of big bike lessons, with the covid partial lockdown it had ben postponed.

Edited by screwman
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 9:03 PM, screwman said:

Was a very long wait finally its arrived. Received message from dealership this morning

rU5a6hK.jpg

and some photos too

RDOeogH.jpg

Undergoing glass coating

S3gEK1Y.jpg

Yc8qMKW.jpg

To be delivered on Saturday

8rFDlvt.jpg

Can't wait

Not my style of bike but i must say it looks very nice.

I see a few of these when i'm away on my bike and the look incredibly comfortable for driver and passenger when cruising along.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the damage, about 1.4M??

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Not my style of bike but i must say it looks very nice.

I see a few of these when i'm away on my bike and the look incredibly comfortable for driver and passenger when cruising along.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the damage, about 1.4M??

Of course not, this is public knowledge. 

https://www.thaihonda.co.th/hondabigbike/motorcycle/touring/hondabigbike-goldwing2021

1,340,000 baht

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Agusts said:

Have fun , looks fantastic... ????

Be careful , it's a lot heavier than ADV150, and if dropped need a couple of people to help get it up again (maybe more if Thai)  ....! ???? 

Yes Sir!. I will be going for course for big bike.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:47 PM, screwman said:

Yes Sir!. I will be going for course for big bike.

Lovely looking machine,like an armchair on wheels. Hope it brings you all the joy and thrills you hope for.

Best wishes, stay safe !

• Like 1

The delivery bloke handled that very well, unlike many I've seen. 

What was he fiddling with under the tank (if that's really where the fuel is stored, or is it a false tank like the original GW?) every time he stopped it on the sidestand? 

Not my type of bike at all but have fun on it and ride safely.

Edited by MartinL