New Rider, "Is it ok to go for big bike?"

screwman

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

The delivery bloke handled that very well, unlike many I've seen. 

What was he fiddling with under the tank (if that's really where the fuel is stored, or is it a false tank like the original GW?) every time he stopped it on the sidestand? 

Not my type of bike at all but have fun on it and ride safely.

Thanks. Oh that was a handbrake.

Quote a friend of mine who rode big bikes when younger:  "  It is not a case of IF you have an accident, it is WHEN you have an accident."

he now drives a BMW 325 saloon.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

His loss

Had many accidents - all depends on how much risk you are not adverse to taking

And this not from "My Friend" 555

Indeed, as the saying goes "dont let your ambitions override your capabilities" !

Thats the error that many make whether it be 2 or 4 wheels.

You only have one go, live it to your best and enjoy it as its better to regret what you did, than to sit and regret what you didnt do. ????

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

^^^ Very True

If people did not do things that were dangerous we would still be living in trees.

Fuq

Fight

or Hold the Light as they say

Hold my Bud Light.

After riding a Kawa Er6N 650 cc for many years my  lad (22) has claimed it saying I have had my day, I am now using a Honda PCX 150cc and I am extremly happy with this machine and would not dream of going back to the big bike, Now 75 yrs Young!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Father to son ...'what do you want to be when you grow up'? 

Son to father ... 'I want to be a motorbike rider'

Father to son  ... 'make your mind up cause you can't do both'

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Robin said:

Quote a friend of mine who rode big bikes when younger:  "  It is not a case of IF you have an accident, it is WHEN you have an accident."

he now drives a BMW 325 saloon.

Well there's always risk in everything I am willing to take this risk with all the necessary safety precaution of course. If I don't do it I might regret it.

If you have never rode a big bike before, then don't. In an accident, there will be more serious injuries.

The small roads (except for highways) in Thailand aren't built for big bikes nor cars.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

If you have never rode a big bike before, then don't. In an accident, there will be more serious injuries.

The small roads (except for highways) in Thailand aren't built for big bikes nor cars.

Come to think of it there is always a first time for everything one want to do. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Nonsense - I have traveled all over the North on my HD, 95% of the time on secondary roads.

Doi Mae Salong, Doi Tung

Never an issue.

If a pickup can drive them, I can ride them

Right.... that's why the accident rate is so high in Thailand. I have seen cars or big bikes straddling the middle of the yellow line when the road is only meant for small bikes on each side of the road.

By straddling, I mean hogging both sides of the narrow road.

It's because of people like you who break the traffic rules and use small roads that are not meant for big bikes or cars.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And how do you figure this ? If I have a head on with a car, does it matter if I am riding a Wave or a Gold Wing ?

No

Do you ride large displacement bikes here ?

Most people buy big bikes because they want to speed at higher speed which the smaller bike can't do.

If a big bike with higher speed and a small bike with slower speed smash a slow moving car or a road barrier or a crossing animal, which do you think will have more serious injuries?

Momentum of a big bike is higher

Momentum = mass X velocity.

Of course, if an incoming high speed car smash a big or small bike, it doesn't matter because both will have serious injuries.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

Just now, EricTh said:

Most people buy big bikes because they want to speed at higher speed which the smaller bike can't do.

If a big bike with higher speed and a small bike with slower speed smash a slow car, do you think which will have serious injuries?

Momentum of a big bike is higher

Momentum = mass X velocity.

You are joking....have ever had a science lesson in your life?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

You are joking....have ever had a science lesson in your life?

You are the one who never studied physics. Ever heard of the word momentum?

Can the max momentum of a small bike ever be greater than a big bike?

Edited by EricTh

18 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You are the one who never studied physics. Ever heard of the word momentum?

Ha.....it has nothing to do with momentum per se.............the rider possesses a certain amount of kinetic energy which has to be dissipated when being brought to a halt.

This can done with a low force acting for a long time.....braking.   OR.......with a huge force acting for a very short period of time......a crash.

This is known as impulse.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I bought mine to travel long distance. Like Chiang Mai Singapore.

Could I take my PCX, or Forza ? Sure. I could walk too, even crawl.

Swim maybe.

Just because a bike can do 250 Kph does not mean one rides at this speed.

Just like some come on public internet forums and post things of which they have no knowledge of. Yet the truth will always come out.

Do you ride motorcycles in LOS ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I bought mine to travel long distance. Like Chiang Mai Singapore.

Could I take my PCX, or Forza ? Sure. I could walk too, even crawl.

Swim maybe.

Just because a bike can do 250 Kph does not mean one rides at this speed.

Just like some come on public internet forums and post things of which they have no knowledge of. Yet the truth will always come out.

Do you ride motorcycles in LOS ?

I am riding a small bike in Thailand at speed not more than 80kph, most of the time only 60kph.

I've seen foreigners riding big bikes and they are usually the first one to ride at high speed when the lights turn green at intersection.

I am sure that they won't ride at not more than 80kph on highways.

For long distances like CM to Singapore, it's better to take the plane or public buses.

Edited by EricTh

If it's what you really want: go for it!!!

To do that in any/most countries isn't smart. Here it's just, 'freakin stupid'. Let me know the location of your local temple, I'll happily supply flowers upon you're demise.