Fastest DNS to use in Thailand ? Does it matter ?

thepdru

6 hours ago, NilSS said:

For most users, anyone that says they can tell the difference in speed of DNS lookups is lying. The difference is in the tens of milliseconds, beyond the limits of human perception,

Sure, it could be psychological, but when I changed my DNS server, loading of pages definitely felt more "snappy."  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I've always used Google public DNS

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

You can use either address as your primary or secondary DNS server.

ISP's have to offer this service but they don't throw loads of resources at it so try some others.

• Haha 1

So if I hard-code my ethernet adapter to a specific DNS does that "rule" over what I've hard-coded within my router (if different)?

What happens to my preferred DNS when using a VPN? Assume it changes but to what? A DNS server located in the country of my VPN IP?

And why does it look like my DNS is 172.nnn.nnn.nnn (also Google) when set to 8.8.8.8? Is Google 8.8.8.8 simply directing me to their closest/best/fastest DNS server?

Strictly IMO, I think people should give some consideration to DNS logging and traceability.  You may say that you have nothing to hide, but may feel differently about that if you learn someone/something has taken an interest in you and yours.

17 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What happens to my preferred DNS when using a VPN? Assume it changes but to what? A DNS server located in the country of my VPN IP?

This is best asked to your VPN provider.  There should be a paragraph or two on this in the setup instructions regarding this.

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, mtls2005 said:

Can you elaborate on these considerations?

Your ISP may log what sites you go to.  

Some of the other DNS server providers state they have a zero logging policy, or similar words.  

This is on the Quad 9 website.

"When your devices use Quad9 normally, no data containing your IP address is ever logged in any Quad9 system."