Moderna files for U.S. vaccine authorization, will seek EU nod

webfact

Moderna files for U.S. vaccine authorization, will seek EU nod

By Julie Steenhuysen and Michael Erman

2020-11-30T125356Z_3_LYNXMPEGAT0X6_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-VACCINES-MODERNA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Vials with a sticker reading, "COVID-19 / Coronavirus vaccine / Injection only" and a medical syringe are seen in front of a displayed Moderna logo in this illustration taken October 31, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

(Reuters) - Moderna Inc applied for U.S. emergency authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine on Monday after full results from a late-stage study showed it was 94.1% effective with no serious safety concerns, the company said.

Moderna, which also plans to seek European approval, reported that its vaccine's efficacy rate was consistent across age, race, ethnicity and gender demographics as well as having a 100% success rate in preventing severe cases of a disease that has killed nearly 1.5 million people.

Moderna will apply for U.S. and European emergency-use authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine on Monday after full results from a late-stage study showed it was 94.1% effective with no serious safety concerns, the company said. Lisa Bernhard produced this report.

(Reporting by Julie Steenhuysen and Michael Erman; Additional reporting by Ankur Banerjee and Manas Mishra in Bengaluru and Kate Kelland in London; Editing by Bill Berkrot, Edwina Gibbs and David Clarke)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-01

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see someone has indicated a "sad" response to my initial comment.

I am also sad  but not surprised  because it perhaps represents a core problem with society in general.

The world is currently in the grip of a situation that regardless of belief in the cause , opinions over reaction to it, opinions about vaccines ..pro or anti..the base  reality is it is an event that has disrupted  the  world.

If the way forward is any Vaccine which for better or worse, good or bad, works  or not, allows a resumption in a degree of normality of international flexibility I welcome that.

I do have  reservations  about those who are adamantly  "anti " vaccines but IMO that belongs in a separate  point of  debate to my opinion in this topic.

My sadness is  that I suspect there are those  that  would care less  about  effectiveness of a  vaccine  than would  care more about the  "profitability "of one that is presented even when developed with  public (taxpayer)

subsidies and massive reductions in regulatory  requirements on the  the basis of  "emergency" need  due to "investment" expectations!

I have an associate who is  "anti vaccine" but  who has  made a point of  buying  shares  in several of the  high profile developers of  covid-19 vaccines. He does not appreciate my opinion that he  desires  potential profit while  denying an outcome that arguably could save  his  own longer life.

I get silence  when I ask such if they would  reject the MMR  program that  has ensured their  viability thus  far !

• Like 1