Non Imm O Retirement Extension 800k method, annual balance check

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Remind me, what checks on the bank balance do Immigration do? 

In the last year first 3 months 800k+?

Next 7 months 400k+?

2 months prior to renewal 800k?

So 12 months only? 

Required:

800k 2 months before application

800k for 3 months after application

400k at all other times (7 months)

Only a few offices nationwide are requiring checks of balance at 3 months post. Many simply ask you to sign statement acknowledging you understand the consequences of non compliance.

If you fail to maintain balance, next visit will be unsuccessful and you'll need to leave

10 minutes ago, smylee52 said:

Previously Non - O extension did not require proof of insurance .  With all the current focus on foreigners

having substantial insurance are they still offerring Non - O extension without insurance ?

Yes.....

My renewal is due this month and a heads up for those in a similar situation to me.

I use the 800k in bank method and went to update my bank book to hopefully show the full years transactions & balance, (I don't use the account for anything other than paying bills and the odd transfer to my other account). After updating the book it only showed the current account balance.

Online statements only go back for six months, so I will have to purchase a full years statements along with the bank letter on the day of application, not a major problem but avoidable if you update your bank book regularly. 

15 minutes ago, Adiudon said:

so I will have to purchase a full years statements along with the bank letter on the day of application, not a major problem but avoidable if you update your bank book regularly.

You may need to order the 12 month statement in advance as for some banks it has to come from head office. I have been updating my own bank book regularly....will have to take 2 with me as it spilled over into a new book. 

23 minutes ago, Adiudon said:

I use the 800k in bank method and went to update my bank book to hopefully show the full years transactions & balance, (I don't use the account for anything other than paying bills and the odd transfer to my other account). After updating the book it only showed the current account balance

Which bank. Mine shows every transaction even though I rarely use bankbook. 

There was a thread some time ago where a guy was stating that each month his transactions were consolidated and he had to obtain bank statements for his annual extension. Turns out the guy had an online thing going on and was using his account multiple times per day for withdrawal and deposits, his his bank consolidated his transactions. 

My understanding is that the bank consolidates if there is certain amount of transactions.

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My understanding is that the bank consolidates if there is certain amount of transactions.

Never been able to put a formula on it.... but I expect there is also a time factor involved. If a book has not been updated in the last 11 months (ie last time an extension renewal forced it), you are expecting the system to have access to very old records, every transaction, and for every single account in the country. Even using online banking, I can only go back 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Adiudon said:

My renewal is due this month and a heads up for those in a similar situation to me.

I use the 800k in bank method and went to update my bank book to hopefully show the full years transactions & balance, (I don't use the account for anything other than paying bills and the odd transfer to my other account). After updating the book it only showed the current account balance.

Online statements only go back for six months, so I will have to purchase a full years statements along with the bank letter on the day of application, not a major problem but avoidable if you update your bank book regularly. 

Kasikorn told me they consolidate after 29 transactions, so yes update the passbook regularly

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Which bank. Mine shows every transaction even though I rarely use bankbook. 

There was a thread some time ago where a guy was stating that each month his transactions were consolidated and he had to obtain bank statements for his annual extension. Turns out the guy had an online thing going on and was using his account multiple times per day for withdrawal and deposits, his his bank consolidated his transactions. 

Bangkok Bank, I know its my fault really for not updating monthly, as I said though this account isn't my day to day account & I have no ATM card for it.

From December when the extension was issued to now maybe 10-15 transactions.

Still have 4 weeks before I need to extend my visa, but need to do a 90 day report this week, I will call in to the bank then to find the time needed to order a years worth of statements.

31 minutes ago, Adiudon said:

Bangkok Bank, I know its my fault really for not updating monthly, as I said though this account isn't my day to day account & I have no ATM card for it.

From December when the extension was issued to now maybe 10-15 transactions.

Still have 4 weeks before I need to extend my visa, but need to do a 90 day report this week, I will call in to the bank then to find the time needed to order a years worth of statements.

Putting 90 day report aside. That's nothing to do with annual extensions. 

I went to Koh Samed March and due to covid decided to stay. 7+ months in fact. 

No banks on island. So over period of months withdrew 20k at a time using ATM, as required from 2 accounts, separate banks.

So ~ 12+ withdrawals from each account. 

When eventually back to bkk off to both banks and every transaction was shown in updated accounts that had not been updated for many months.

Kasikorn and Krungthai.

Recently did my annual extension CW and just photocopy bankbook and the other requirements.

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Putting 90 day report aside. That's nothing to do with annual extensions. 

I went to Koh Samed March and due to covid decided to stay. 7+ months in fact. 

No banks on island. So over period of months withdrew 20k at a time using ATM, as required from 2 accounts, separate banks.

So ~ 12+ withdrawals from each account. 

When eventually back to bkk off to both banks and every transaction was shown in updated accounts that had not been updated for many months.

Kasikorn and Krungthai.

Recently did my annual extension CW and just photocopy bankbook and the other requirements.

Different banks different procedures ?, I did update the book at a small sub branch within a Tescos maybe the main bank in the city would have been different.

Either way when I go to do the report it will be easy to call in at the BKK Bank main branch near my immigration office to order or pre order the statements I may or may not need, along with every other photocopy they may or may not want this year, so whatever they wish to see I have on hand. 

Next year it will be getting updated monthly

If your bankbook has deposits printed out of order or on top of one another, as mine does, Joe recommends getting a one-year statement the month before you apply and then a single statement for the month in which you apply.  That way, no months are missed out.  Bangkok bank can get you a 12 month statement in one week.  Just apply at your local branch and pay the fee.  I think it's 200 baht.

22 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

If your bankbook has deposits printed out of order or on top of one another, as mine does, Joe recommends getting a one-year statement the month before you apply and then a single statement for the month in which you apply.  That way, no months are missed out.  Bangkok bank can get you a 12 month statement in one week.  Just apply at your local branch and pay the fee.  I think it's 200 baht.

I recently did a similar thing at Siam Commercial Bank for the Jomtien office. I had some composite entries in my passbook even though it was still obvious that I was in compliance, I decided to be proactive. So I asked for a 13 month statement on the day of application which did cost 200 baht. I think they told me 12 months would have been free though. But at least at SCB 13 months is no problem on the spot. At immigration, I don't think they really even looked at that statement as they flicked through it quickly but did ponder the copies of the bank book. So I'm guessing I could have done without it. But you never know.

Can anyone explain the rationale behind the “bond” system as I call it for Retirement visas?  In the 800k system, why is this required only for 5 months around renewal, reducing to 400k for the rest of the year? Is it a de facto health insurance guarantee, and if so, why the difference? In the 65k monthly income option , I assume visa holders have a wave curve of 400k to 465k each month in their account. Given what I read above about the importance of ensuring one’s balance doesn’t drop below the chosen levels, and I have to physically go to the bank , make a transaction, and get a letter before heading to Immigration, despite having a fully updated passbook to that date, what is it that the Thai authorities believe you can do on the way to Immigration to cheat the system?

16 minutes ago, Ray Ban said:

Can anyone explain the rationale behind the “bond” system as I call it for Retirement visas?  In the 800k system, why is this required only for 5 months around renewal, reducing to 400k for the rest of the year? Is it a de facto health insurance guarantee, and if so, why the difference? In the 65k monthly income option , I assume visa holders have a wave curve of 400k to 465k each month in their account. Given what I read above about the importance of ensuring one’s balance doesn’t drop below the chosen levels, and I have to physically go to the bank , make a transaction, and get a letter before heading to Immigration, despite having a fully updated passbook to that date, what is it that the Thai authorities believe you can do on the way to Immigration to cheat the system?

Nothing to do with health insurance. 

Immigration wants to discourage people getting short term loans unless you're paying an agent wink wink nod nod.

Bank letter is about Thai culture wanting official stamps on stuff.

Overthinking this is a black hole that leads to insanity.

Just learn the rules.

Then follow them.

Also keep track of changes too.

Is the set and forget method not a workable option?  Transfer in 800K 2 months prior to application and leave it there.  Never touch it.  Never take any money out.  Once a year prior to applying for an extension, deposit 100 baht at a teller, then update the passbook.

Then set up a second account at another bank for daily use.

10 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Yes, that works for many people.  Leaving the 800,000 in the bank untouched is the charm.  

I suppose. 

But banks sometimes deduct automatic annual fees.

Also if you never touch it, wouldn't the bank eventually call it dormant?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I suppose. 

My FD account does not seem to have any automatic fees, there is no ATM card or SMS service linked to it. To avoid it becoming 'dormant' I withdraw the interest each year and get some chewing gum.

Just now, jacko45k said:

My FD account does not seem to have any automatic fees, there is no ATM card or SMS service linked to it. To avoid it becoming 'dormant' I withdraw the interest each year and get some chewing gum.

can i ask, what bank you use, that gives interest on foreign deposit accounts ?

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I suppose. 

Those are good points.

Having several thousand extra baht over the 800K is probably a good idea (which is what I do). 

Not sure about the dormant account issue, but definitely worth looking into!  I suppose adding 100 baht every few months isn't a bad idea too. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I have never paid a annual fee (ATM/Debit card fee on one of them) on my accounts but they are all active.

The don't consider them dormant if the balance is under a certain amount and their will be activity on the account for interest payments and taxes for the interest earned.

Archived