Recycling Batteries

Chiang Rai Guy

My last where to post, I swear. Does anyone know if there is a place in town that will take old batteries and recycle them. I have hundreds and refuse to throw them in the trash. I always have this image of little children with nothing better to do than pick up old batteries thrown in the street, forced open by passing cars, playing with the little buggers and ending up with some terrible disease. Battery disease. Ok, well, if you know pass it on...

Realizing that you're not very mobile (and that I've "disappeared") I'll yet explain:

Our best recycler (there are many) is near KhunGon Interscetion at the south end of town.

Pass KhumJaoNang (Western-style) restaurant and music venue (and ultra-famous Tup Ya-dong!) going south and make the right onto the wonderful diagonal road which leads to on-coming highway traffic (just east of the ChiangRai Municipality boundary marker by the entrance to Ban Paruksachat and a big fairly new AIA building).

Just before you hit the on-coming traffic (careful!) there's a big speed-bump or rise or something where Khun Santi's hard-top paving wore through (all that traffic into the on-coming, I suppose) and remains quite rough (last time I was by, anyway). Just past that, on the right, is the recycler (which has previously been mentioned at CR forum, but years ago and not by me). They paid me well for a useless old car battery there. Cans don't get so much anymore, and bottles less, but this is where many of the folk on motorcycles with wagons take what they can scrounge up going around calling "Khong gao! khong gao" (they aren't giving it away, but generously offering to pay for whatever you might not want). I'm not positive the recycler pays for old double A or D batteries, but expect they'd take them (safely) off your hands. When living in town, I dug a garden and found lots of those, but planted anyway and ate the produce (which may relate to my "disappearing" - I don't know).

thought about a 3-wheeler? (sorry, couldn't resist)

other recyclers - one's near the Ha-yaek, mostly paper and card-board, another near Doi KhaoQuai Intersection (car parts may be their speciality).