2020 Africa Twin Owners.

BBJ

If you haven't experienced the fuel pump issues and tank rot on 2020 models and previous, there is now and ignition module issue being reported.  In faulty units the motorcycle will not turn off even with key removed.  Owners have had to disconnect battery.  Some reports already in Thailand including a friend's who has had 3 issues in the short time of ownership.  I did warn him about the new Iphone upgrades and display to the Africa Twin will be an issue.  It is an AT not a GS.

My 2017 Africa Twin just keeps going in the meantime.

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BBJ said:

In faulty units the motorcycle will not turn off even with key removed.  Owners have had to disconnect battery. 

Does it not have a kill switch on the handlebar ?

Altho this might keep power on to to fuel pump, lights, WHY

<deleted> - those darn second rate suppliers !!!

• Like 1

The new dash could be nice if it didn't take half a minute to boot and only work with iPhones. And like jackdd said only selling a lower version is also a problem. Oh and DCT also only available on the Adventure Sports model. So my AT from 2017 which has all the stuff that I wanted like proper luggage options, proper windscreen, DCT and not lowered is now impossible to buy. If it wasn't lowered then it would still be an increase from 580k THB to 700k. I test rode the lower Adventure Sports and my pillion said she could feel bumps much more than on my bike.

In Germany I just checked the AT Adventure Sports with DCT costs nearly 20k Euros which is very close to the price of the Ducati Multistrada V4 S which is getting rave reviews, has radar and 50% more power. The AT has become more expensive over time but at the start filled a void in the adventure bike market. Now it's reaching price levels of the top tier while at the same time getting attacked from below with bikes like the Tenere 700.

Long story short, I'll keep my current AT for as long as possible. Zero reason to upgrade. I don't have hard numbers but I can't imagine sales being great because I have not seen a single lowered AT on the roads but I have seen the original taller one quite a few times.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BBJ said:

I did warn him about the new Iphone upgrades and display to the Africa Twin will be an issue.  It is an AT not a GS.

My 2017 Africa Twin just keeps going in the meantime.

I serviced and rode a friends 750 AT that was a V twin he was a farm owner.

Very basic from what I remember he abused it but it never gave in.

Is your friends AT the 1000 or the 1100. ?  

On 12/2/2020 at 9:03 AM, Kwasaki said:

I serviced and rode a friends 750 AT that was a V twin he was a farm owner.

Very basic from what I remember he abused it but it never gave in.

Is your friends AT the 1000 or the 1100. ?  

1100.  I have a 2017 and abused it.  Not issues other than self inflicted from off road. 

• Like 2

On 12/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, canthai55 said:

Does it not have a kill switch on the handlebar ?

Altho this might keep power on to to fuel pump, lights, WHY

<deleted> - those darn second rate suppliers !!!

One reported in the UK.  Kill switch j didn't work.