A few pics from the press event.

BBJ

Solly - Slight  hi-lack 

Are bike tyres different? I refer to the direction of the chevron type pattern in the tread. 

On cars, and as far as can remember all 4 wheel vehicles, have tyres with the point of the chevron facing in the direction of wheel rotation.

676047037_DirectionalTyre.jpg.38a2f35cbb9689f92b0fa104deae0b8a.jpg

In the pictures I notice that the bikes fitted with chevron treads they have the point of the chevron pointing away from the wheel rotation.

655142447_BikeDirectional.jpg.f6901660eeb248fb285c8a147ff001b0.jpg

Opposite to the way car tyres are normally fitted.

Are bike tyres different or is it just a Thai thing :whistling: 

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Are bike tyres different? I refer to the direction of the chevron type pattern in the tread. 

On cars, and as far as can remember all 4 wheel vehicles, have tyres with the point of the chevron facing in the direction of wheel rotation.

In the pictures I notice that the bikes fitted with chevron treads they have the point of the chevron pointing away from the wheel rotation.

My Metzeler radials have the grooves on the rear going from outside tread to inside tread facing forward

The front is opposite - grooves from the outside tread to inside facing rear.

both are directional tires and installed correctly

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Bike tires are different, and it's not just a Thai thing.

I don't know the physical details, but i assume that it has something to do with that the rear tire is mainly used for accelerating and the front tire for braking, thus the patterns are reversed for some physical reason.

Edited by jackdd

37 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't know the physical details, but i assume that it has something to do with that the rear tire is mainly used for accelerating and the front tire for braking, thus the patterns are reversed for some physical reason.

Pretty much the same as a car then  :whistling:

5 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Solly - Slight  hi-lack 

On my bike both tires are installed same as car such that if you ride on water it exits on the outside. There is even an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction of rotation. 

52 minutes ago, Antifreeze said:

On my bike both tires are installed same as car such that if you ride on water it exits on the outside. There is even an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction of rotation.

Exactly my thinking also, that's how I see it.

Maybe Thai water, like Thai electricity is different. :guitar:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Car tires are flat. they are very prone to hydroplaning and have to push water away from the tire to the outside. Motorcycle tires are round. The contact patch is already reduced a lot and splice through the water. Plus there is lean. the direction of the grooves for the water are not as important, they just need to briefly provide a way for the water to to disperse to. The direction of the V shape has also to do with tire stability and wear under the forces they experience which is the opposite for front and rear tires (braking and acceleration). Those are the main reasons for opposite tread directions. But it's getting a bit much off topic, sorry!

Thanks for posting these pictures BBJ! I noticed that the S1000RR is shown in motorsport colors but according to the BMW Thailand website one cannot order that color anymore. Only gray or red. I wonder if the Triumph Trident is at the show.

25 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Where is the eye candy ?

If you see pictures of brand new bikes and are not seeing eye candy than you are not a biker, GTFO ????

On 12/3/2020 at 9:25 AM, Daffy D said:

Solly - Slight  hi-lack 

It's a show-model..They don't know how to mount them....:cheesy:????

• Sad 1