Going to Chiang Mai for 5 days need some pointers.

Robbie63

Hello everyone I am going to CM for 5 days next month. I would like to know a few things to avoid so I do not get scammed. I have never been there and am going with the Wifey and daughter. We will be going to Doi. Suthep and Doi. Inthanon Park first then maybe there Hot Springs?? How about some good food spots and some thing off the tour. Thank you all in advance appreciate it.

For food recommendations go to the Chiang Mai Eats group in Facebook.  Plenty of good recommendations there.  And you can post food related questions there if there is a specific something you're looking for. 

Up by CMU, even above Nimman is less touristy, and one of the best hoods.  You can hike to the waterfall in an hour, or check out Wat Umong, which is a favorite.  The stuff around Thapae is frequently raunchy, and that is where they constantly attempt to try one on, but there are still some gems around there.  

22 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Avoid tuk tuks and anyone that walks up and wants to talk to you....the rest will just happen as I can only imagine the tourists are slim picking in cm...and there are always 1000 thai eyes on you.......be street smart

The red songtheaws are share taxis. Have to haggle and probably lose. If want to get somewhere in a hurry have to pay for sole occupancy ( minimum 200 baht ).

Restaurants were never a problem- thousands of them, but now????? Just see if they look OK- everyone probably has favourites. Mine was Gekko.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:37 PM, Robbie63 said:

I would like to know a few things to avoid so I do not get scammed.

LOL. Good luck with that.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:37 PM, Robbie63 said:

We will be going to Doi. Suthep and Doi. Inthanon Park first

Get a package van tour to Inthanon.

Can get songtheaw from near the zoo to go up the hill to Suthep. No need to pay a tour agent.

If want to go in Summer Palace need to dress properly.

Don't bother with the zoo, IMO.

This place is amazing.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attraction_Review-g293917-d1650675-Reviews-Royal_Park_Rajapruek-Chiang_Mai.html

Mae Ping River Cruise

from Wat Chai Mongkhon.

Night Safari is OK

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The red songtheaws are share taxis. Have to haggle and probably lose. If want to get somewhere in a hurry have to pay for sole occupancy ( minimum 200 baht ).

Restaurants were never a problem- thousands of them, but now????? Just see if they look OK- everyone probably has favourites. Mine was Gekko.

LOL. Good luck with that.

Get a package van tour to Inthanon.

Can get songtheaw from near the zoo to go up the hill to Suthep. No need to pay a tour agent.

If want to go in Summer Palace need to dress properly.

Don't bother with the zoo, IMO.

This place is amazing.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attraction_Review-g293917-d1650675-Reviews-Royal_Park_Rajapruek-Chiang_Mai.html

Mae Ping River Cruise

from Wat Chai Mongkhon.

Night Safari is OK

Thanks a lot

2 minutes ago, Robbie63 said:

I took a look at that Gekko restaurant on Facebook CM  will check it out.

Don't expect flash. Run by an American, friendly staff, western food+ Thai food. Popular with expats ( always a good recommendation ). Different specials every night- loads of salad with meals. NOT A RIP OFF.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robbie, I recommend you contact our friend Sasi at SabaiTour.com for recommendations and tips. She's super knowledgeable, speaks excellent English, and is not out to rip anyone off. Her office is conveniently located across from Wat Phra Singh (a must see) on Rachadamnoen Road, next to the 7-11. She's there every day (now selling fruit shakes and my homemade brownies & banana nut bread), so feel free to drop in for advice/pointers on what to see, where to eat and/or stay, what to avoid. She can arrange reliable drivers, tour guides, etc. An honest and altogether pleasant person to know. Tell her Karen & Norman recommended her. Chok dii!

Difficult to recommend restaurants when we don't know your preferences, do you use Google Maps etc. Parking in the city is easier now than in the past decade, you just have to accept you may not find a space in front of the place you are visiting. And you are coming in winter so bring  things like a sweater if you plan on being out early and especially for Doi Inthanon.

• 3 weeks later...

Chiang Mai City Arts and Cultural Center is a good tourist stop. Lovely old building in the center of the old town. Some temporary exhibits in the back of the building which are free, some permanent exhibits for which there is an entrance fee (haven’t seen them so can’t comment), and a very nice cafe for coffee and snacks.  Another exhibit hall/museum across the street, which I also haven’t seen inside. We enjoy going to Warorot Market and the area around it. There are some good Indian restaurants In CM which you may not have in your area. I don’t love any of the Mexican restaurants in town but there are plenty of acceptable ones, and salad restaurants are a thing and some pretty good ones (Ohkajhu) just to give you some ideas. Hummus Cafe is a new favorite for ME food.