The Five Most Annoying Things Golfers Do on The Course

ASEAN NOW Golf

On 12/1/2020 at 3:18 PM, vogie said:

Members of your group walking to the next hole as you are about to take your shot.

Do you mean, "as you are about to putt"? If so, I do that, especially if I'm not holding your scorecard. It speeds up play to just get on with it. I'll be teed up and ready to go while you're walking off the green. 

On 12/1/2020 at 3:09 PM, bkk6060 said:

Slow play especially by lousy golfers.

I played this morning early with a buddy in a little over 2 hours very enjoyable.

So proud. 

My peeve is people who don't know the difference between a golf course and a race course. Do you wear running shoes? 

• Haha 1

Hmmm, nobody has mentioned the six-ball of Thais or Koreans drinking, gambling, and shouting like they own the course, and never heard of allowing anyone to play through. Speaking of which, I play at two courses in Chiang Mai that are owned by the military. You dare not open your mouth. The group in front might be generals, or their spoiled sons. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Hmmm, nobody has mentioned the six-ball of Thais or Koreans drinking, gambling, and shouting like they own the course, and never heard of allowing anyone to play through.

Common sense.

Go to the next hole and come back later to play it or play another hole twice.

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Have you tried hitting the ball straight there?

my friend did 1 time. was the funniest thing I'd ever seen on a golf outing. He hit the shot, it went straight into the tree about 30-40 yards down, came right back at him, whereas he lifted his club and swatted at it like badminton, connected and it went 40-50 yards straight past the tree. ????

as for peeves, part of the group in front taking a break at the kiosk while the other half tee up and take practice swings when they see my group coming.

"experts" who quote you a rule AFTER you've said what you intend to do and then do it. (tour packages) a simple , "oh, you can't do that because..." would save a lot of annoyance. (I'm not a PGA pro with my own rulebook)

spending more than 2-3 minutes hunting for a ball in the tall grass or woods, or even worst, trying to rescue it from somewhere off shore for 10 minutes.

my biggest peeve in thailand is caddies with phones.

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Have you tried hitting the ball straight there?

Point taken, and I gave you a laugh emoji. But what I mean about Lanna in particular is so many holes are like that, no imagination. It's the same one-trick pony over and over. Even some of the par 3s. (In case you've lost track, I'm talking about a tree in the middle of the fairway, and a green on a mound higher than your head.) 

Let's count, on courses 1 & 2, which holes fit the description: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14. 15, 16, 18. Enough? 

15 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Point taken, and I gave you a laugh emoji. But what I mean about Lanna in particular is so many holes are like that, no imagination. It's the same one-trick pony over and over. Even some of the par 3s. (In case you've lost track, I'm talking about a tree in the middle of the fairway, and a green on a mound higher than your head.) 

Let's count, on courses 1 & 2, which holes fit the description: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14. 15, 16, 18. Enough? 

I've played Lanna a few times years ago. Agree on the raised greens, usual design on a flat course prone to flooding. You should try a Peter Thomson green, buried elephants intended to shed the ball away from the hole. Can't remember trees in the middle on all of those holes. Speaking of which, the 12th hole at Keysborough Golf Club and the 10th at Royal Queensland have BIIG trees.

2 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

my friend did 1 time. was the funniest thing I'd ever seen on a golf outing. He hit the shot, it went straight into the tree about 30-40 yards down, came right back at him, whereas he lifted his club and swatted at it like badminton, connected and it went 40-50 yards straight past the tree. ????

as for peeves, part of the group in front taking a break at the kiosk while the other half tee up and take practice swings when they see my group coming.

"experts" who quote you a rule AFTER you've said what you intend to do and then do it. (tour packages) a simple , "oh, you can't do that because..." would save a lot of annoyance. (I'm not a PGA pro with my own rulebook)

spending more than 2-3 minutes hunting for a ball in the tall grass or woods, or even worst, trying to rescue it from somewhere off shore for 10 minutes.

my biggest peeve in thailand is caddies with phones.

I don't bother calling rules on other people here, while I am pretty well versed in them it's not worth an argument.

Caddies with phones are easy. I tell them if they use them again on the course, they won't be getting a tip. I must be reasonably convincing, because they all turn their phones off.

• 3 weeks later...

Now and then you join up with a guy who believes in following all the rules of golf. This is ridiculous for a social round of golf -- can you imagine going back to the tee after losing a ball -- the added time to the round, let alone the <deleted> off group behind you, should dictate just dropping a ball in the vicinity of where you lost the last one. And, even hitting a provisional is time consuming -- and unnecessary for social rounds, including a provisional for a known out of bounds shot (just play it as a lateral). Improving one's lie? Why not, within reason. Of course, if this is a betting round of golf with your buddies, you decide on the ad hoc rules ahead of time. Otherwise, playing your own game, use whatever rules you like.

And, this will NOT result in a sand bagging handicap, since the better than real number you post towards your handicap results in a lower handicap than you deserve under the rules. Thus, in a tournament, where you do adhere to rules, your inflated handicap gives you no advantage over those with legitimate handicaps.

I think there's even been a movement in the States to wicker the rules to speed up play, as the new generation's turn off with golf is the time it takes to play.

To answer the OP's question; trying to play the ridiculous game.   Golf, in of itself, is intensely annoying, I've tried for 40 odd years, I know that I never finish a round in other than a towering rage, having used every vulgar expletive known to man,. vowing never to play again, but of course, like an idiot, I always end up trying again.  

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2020 at 11:25 AM, Pilotman said:

To answer the OP's question; trying to play the ridiculous game.

Agree totally. Why 'intelligent' people try to knock a small ball into a hole from 300 yds x 18  ,to me, is <deleted> stupid.  lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Agree totally. Why 'intelligent' people try to knock a small ball into a hole from 300 yds x 18  ,to me, is <deleted> stupid.  lol

Then you should read the book ... 'The Man Who Inherited A Golf Course'   by Vernon Coleman ... it is not only funny but a paragraph within explains exactly why .........

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Then you should read the book ... 'The Man Who Inherited A Golf Course'   by Vernon Coleman ... it is not only funny but a paragraph within explains exactly why .........

Can't be a.sed to read a full book. Come on, you tell me why please.

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Can't be a.sed to read a full book. Come on, you tell me why please.

You can read a review here ...https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Inherited-Golf-Course-ebook/dp/B00KGH5K1G  ... I read very few books but this one along with 'Brave New World' are books that I just did not want to put down once I started reading...it's also available on Kindle.

• Confused 1

My hitparade:

when others talk after I addressed the ball

when others start walking away before I hit my teeshot

when people practice "ready golf" a bit too eagerly by going to play a ball that lies in a zone where my ball could pitch next, so making me wait until they go away

intentionally cheating - even when there is no real advantage in doing it, such as teeing up 10cm before the teebox, dropping at grossly improper places, placing the ballmark 5cm nearer to the hole than it should be on the green, flattening tall grass, etc.

people who drag their feet on the green or are too clumsy to use their putter to extract the ball from the hole without damaging the edges but do it anyway

On 12/4/2020 at 3:29 PM, Lacessit said:

I've played Lanna a few times years ago. Agree on the raised greens, usual design on a flat course prone to flooding. You should try a Peter Thomson green, buried elephants intended to shed the ball away from the hole. Can't remember trees in the middle on all of those holes. Speaking of which, the 12th hole at Keysborough Golf Club and the 10th at Royal Queensland have BIIG trees.

That tree at RQ was perfectly placed when i was a younger man. Its actually on the edge of the fairway to start the dogleg. Now the young guys just bomb it over.

On the walk from 11th green to 12th tee greg norman tried to hit a 5 iron over the gateway bridge. No chance.

Ive never paricularly liked RQ. I played at redcliffe.

On 12/26/2020 at 12:08 PM, JimGant said:

Now and then you join up with a guy who believes in following all the rules of golf. This is ridiculous for a social round of golf -- can you imagine going back to the tee after losing a ball -- the added time to the round, let alone the <deleted> off group behind you, should dictate just dropping a ball in the vicinity of where you lost the last one. And, even hitting a provisional is time consuming -- and unnecessary for social rounds, including a provisional for a known out of bounds shot (just play it as a lateral). Improving one's lie? Why not, within reason. Of course, if this is a betting round of golf with your buddies, you decide on the ad hoc rules ahead of time. Otherwise, playing your own game, use whatever rules you like.

And, this will NOT result in a sand bagging handicap, since the better than real number you post towards your handicap results in a lower handicap than you deserve under the rules. Thus, in a tournament, where you do adhere to rules, your inflated handicap gives you no advantage over those with legitimate handicaps.

I think there's even been a movement in the States to wicker the rules to speed up play, as the new generation's turn off with golf is the time it takes to play.

I believe the new rules allow you not to go back to the tee for lost balls.

on asian senior tour we mostly play all ob as hazards, speeds up play immensely.

Edited by Sujo

20 hours ago, Sujo said:

I believe the new rules allow you not to go back to the tee for lost balls.

New rules - Only if a local rule is in place and you then add 2 shots but get to play from the fairway. Not for the pros however.....

20 hours ago, Sujo said:

on asian senior tour we mostly play all ob as hazards, speeds up play immensely.

Which bar is this tour affiliated to and if treated as a hazard do you only add one shot?