Shock at the Post Office today.

worgeordie

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Why bother with either, Christmas is the time of family dramas.

As Al Bundy said "Christmas isn't a time of regrets, that is what anniversaries are for'.

I actually like my family. Sorry about yours. But Happy Christmas to you and yours.

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

There must be a Government dept, where they have several civil servants just sitting there ,their job is to think things up to make life more difficult for people.

I doubt there isn't a government world wide that doesn't have that type of department.!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frogmo1 said:

Mail to the United States is 220 baht plus a 40 baht surcharge.  More for heavy letters.  Quite a shock after years of inexpensive international air letter post.

There’s no longer an “air mail” designation for letters since all international mail, in theory, goes by air, but obviously that depends on regular passenger flights that take on some amount of mail. DHL, FedEx and others may have their own planes but post offices depend on commercial passenger flights which are next to nonexistent now.

And when supply of space available is little, undoubtedly prices charged rise. Attributing increased prices to the Thai post office seems to ignore the realty of the economic environment.

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

There’s no longer an “air mail” designation for letters since all international mail, in theory, goes by air, but obviously that depends on regular passenger flights that take on some amount of mail. DHL, FedEx and others may have their own planes but post offices depend on commercial passenger flights which are next to nonexistent now.

And when supply of space available is little, undoubtedly prices charged rise. Attributing increased prices to the Thai post office seems to ignore the realty of the economic environment.

I regularly have parcels sent to me from the UK and sometimes send one in the other direction. A month ago someone sent me my regular parcel from the UK and I sent one to him on the same day. parcel Thailand-UK, 6 days. Parcel UK-Thailand, 2 weeks, normally one. I haven't noticed any appreciable change in the price recently, certainly not UK-Thailand.

26 minutes ago, polpott said:

I like to celebrate my birthday with female strangers. Makes me feel that I'm not as old as the number suggests.

My GF knows very well what I am expecting on my birthday, and she always delivers.

Back on topic, I try to discourage her from Christmas, I'm sure she sees it as a gift opportunity. As for Christmas cards, I use gmail.

1 minute ago, polpott said:

So does mine but she's only 20 years younger than me. More kudos with a 40 year difference.

Strangers are a bit of a gamble, one never knows if they are getting a firecracker or a dead starfish. You wouldn't be trying to lure me off topic, would you?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Strangers are a bit of a gamble, one never knows if they are getting a firecracker or a dead starfish. You wouldn't be trying to lure me off topic, would you?

On my birthday, I always play "3 in a bed". Never had less than at least one winner.

To quote the title of the thread, I had a shock at the post office when I went to the Nana one on Sukhumvit in Bangkok. I was posting something to Kalasin and the child-brain assistant demanded to know what country it was in. I know that Thais are reputed to know nothing of the outside world, but Thailand too? And in a post office. Just unbelievable.

As for the green customs slip required, a friend of mine experienced the same thing a few years ago. Nothing new.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

4 hours ago, frogmo1 said:

The Thai Post international rate calculator is here:

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/index.php?page=index&language=en

Click on "calculate fee" at the list on the right.

Mail to the United States is 220 baht plus a 40 baht surcharge.  More for heavy letters.  Quite a shock after years of inexpensive international air letter post.

I recently sent a slip of paper which urgently needed signing to Hong Kong via EMS.(it needed to get there safely and be tracked ). 

Placed in their envelope, it cost B775 !!

When returned via Hong Kong Speed Post, it was marked $HKD165.....so roughly the same.

But they were both respectively hand delivered to the front door....and time? a bit over a week each way.

I just went to the main post office in Pattaya to post a parcel of Christmas and birthday cards to my brother in the UK using the track and trace service. The cards were all the large, pop-out variety and quite heavy, so I thought the 220 Baht plus 40 Baht they charged was reasonable, it works out a bit over a quid a card with tracking, that's much cheaper than it would be sending them from the UK. I also sent a non-tracked card to a cousin in Gloucester and that just 38 Baht, again much cheaper than what it would cost to send it in the other direction.

I've had a subscription to Jacqui Lawson for many years now, and use it a lot, but for my closest family and friends I like to send a real card, no matter how much it costs. I also appreciate receiving real cards here from them, it shows that you're more than just an electronic reminder on their PC or telephone, and that people are willing to spend a bit of time, effort and money because they care about you.

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I sent the wife to the P.O. today to post a Xmas card to the UK.

when she came back,she said she was charged 75 Baht to

post it,not only that she had to put one of those small green

customs declarations stickers on the envelope ,for a xmas card !

She said the lady at the desk said everything has now changed,

well the prices have certainly gone up, last week I posted a letter

to same address 27 Baht,but having to declare a Xmas card......*

I am pleased that's the only Xmas card I will have to post,the rest

will have to be happy with E-cards.          * There must be a Government dept,where they have several civil servants

Just sitting there ,their job to think things up to make life more difficult for people.

regards worgeordie

The Devil makes work for idle hands to do! ????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I sent the wife to the P.O. today to post a Xmas card to the UK.

when she came back,she said she was charged 75 Baht to

post it,not only that she had to put one of those small green

customs declarations stickers on the envelope ,for a xmas card !

will have to be happy with E-cards.          * There must be a Government dept,where they have several civil servants

Just sitting there ,their job to think things up to make life more difficult for people.

regards worgeordie

Only once a year. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I send one letter airmail to USA last week for 30 baht – I cannot remember if I got a 3 baht change, I probably did – no customs declaration. It must have been heavy-duty Christmas cards with plenty of dry ice to prevent the snow from melting, your wife was sending...:thumbsup:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, frogmo1 said:

The Thai Post international rate calculator is here:

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/index.php?page=index&language=en

Click on "calculate fee" at the list on the right.

Should read thecharges, mail to USA is not 220, more like 30baht for a letter.