Renewal of Retirement Visa to my new passport

Hello

I am due to renew my Retirement Visa shortly.

As my old passport is nearly full I obtained a new passport.

Do I need any documentation for immigration to use my new passport for the renewed retirement visa.

I did some research on this forum and it seems the embassy should issue a letter to transfer a visa. My activity is to obtain a renewal so I hope I do not need this letter.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It sounds as though they tried to assist you by giving you the necessary transfer letter, and you declined their assistance.

If they ask for a fee then explain politely that there is no charge for the transfer of stamps. If they ask who told you this say the 'Immigration Help Line'.

no Old passport no invalidations.   To cancel or invalidate a passport they usually cut the corner off

Many thanks for your comments and assistance so far.

When I picked up my Second New passport last year from HM Passport Office Trendy Building Bangkok I declined the transfer letter as I was not ready to use my New passport.

So I need to organize the letter.

I found the British Government webpage for this :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#transferring-your-thai-visa-after-renewing-your-british-passport

Their WEBFORM link does not work so this was out.

I then phoned the British Embassy in Bangkok, Their Consular Services connection gives only a repeat message and the option to speak to an operator does not work.

By trying all the other options i managed eventually to speak to a man who gave me a telephone number in UK that gives 24 hour advise, Same repeat messge but it did say you have to put a credit card number in first to get a question addressed.

Overall regarding the British Embassy I got the impression they seem unwilling or unable to assist with any thing like this.

So I put this option on hold as I was not hopeful of them solving this problem.

Next option was to try to contact HM Passport Office Trendy Building Bangkok. Their letter only gave a UK telephone number, whilst I wanted to speak to them to ask advise.

So no letter so far or clarity on how to get this.

As I live up country best scenario for me would be to have whoever post one to me by EMS.

Any comments / advise appreciated.

19 hours ago, localexpat said:

Hello

I am due to renew my Retirement Visa shortly.

As my old passport is nearly full I obtained a new passport.

Do I need any documentation for immigration to use my new passport for the renewed retirement visa.

I did some research on this forum and it seems the embassy should issue a letter to transfer a visa. My activity is to obtain a renewal so I hope I do not need this letter.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

When you received the new passport you should have been given an application form.

You complete that form and take it with your old/new passport to immigration to stamp your new passport.

They will transfer the details etc to the system and your new passport.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, localexpat said:

I received my New Passport Last year July and was not ready to start using this New passport. Possibly a mistake on my behalf,

Anyway as they say you are where you are, how to go forward?

Wasn't your old passport invalidated when they provided you a new one?  Not sure about UK but US Embassy will punch a hole in old one making it invalid from that point forward once a new one has been issued. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tonray said:

Wasn't your old passport invalidated when they provided you a new one?  Not sure about UK but US Embassy will punch a hole in old one making it invalid from that point forward once a new one has been issued. 

Ditto AU.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tonray said:

Same in EU, Corner cut off + red stamp " Canceled " on every page. Don't understand why wave the Embassy letter as it is Standard issue... 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, localexpat said:

Their WEBFORM link does not work so this was out.

After clicking on the webform link at https://www.contact-embassy.service.gov.uk/?country=Thailand&post=British Embassy Bangkok it seems to me that in the "What's your enquiry about?" box you need to enter "Visa transfer letter". Then after clicking the icon to the right of this box, you need to answer "Do the suggested pages answer your enquiry?" question by clicking on the "No, I would like to submit my enquiry" circle, whereupon you should then be able to submit an online request to the Embassy for the much hallowed visa transfer letter (basically a signed pro-forma on which you will need to enter relevant personal details yourself).

A bit of a convoluted procedure I know, but, hey, that's life for the typical British expat in LOS these days, I'm afraid!

Incidentally,  it's a "visa transfer letter" which the Embassy themselves misleadingly call this particular letter, even though you are, in fact, seeking to transfer your current extension of stay stamp into your second new passport. In any case it is not possible to transfer unexpired real genuine McCoy non-immigrant visas of the "OA" or "O" varieties (as distinct from extensions of stay masquerading as such) from old to new passports.

Edited by OJAS
5 hours ago, localexpat said:

When I picked up my Second New passport last year from HM Passport Office Trendy Building Bangkok I declined the transfer letter as I was not ready to use my New passport.

Your new passport is the only valid passport you have (unless you are one of the very few people who have 2 current passports) , your old passport became invalid/cancelled the day your new passport was issued, so ready or not it’s the only one that is legally valid.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tonray said:

UK passport issued at Trendy will cut the corner off the old passport thus making it immediately invalid, that's why they give you an application form to complete and take your new passport to the immigration office to transfer any relevant stamps and enter your new passport details to the system.