Renewal of Retirement Visa to my new passport

20 minutes ago, garygooner said:

What if you get your new passport in the UK for example. Do they give you a letter to take to imm in Thailand when you return?

They would not provide you with a letter.

If you used your new passport to enter the country most immigration offices do not ask for the letter.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They would not provide you with a letter.

If you used your new passport to enter the country most immigration offices do not ask for the letter.

OK, but how do they do if let's say some Visa is in the old passport and since issued in UK not transferred??

On 12/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Your new passport is the only valid passport you have (unless you are one of the very few people who have 2 current passports) , your old passport became invalid/cancelled the day your new passport was issued, so ready or not it’s the only one that is legally valid.

I have 3 current passports.

When I renewed passport last year I did not get a letter from the Oz Embassy---(it wasn't offered) I took it from there to IO they just looked at both & transferred everything across with no problem, I had lost some visa (extension)  months on the last year of that passport as it would expire in 8 months so when renewing my yearly (extension) --they will only give you 1 year or up to when your passport expires....same price of course.

23 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

OK, but how do they do if let's say some Visa is in the old passport and since issued in UK not transferred??

If there is a valid multiple entry visa or valid extension of stay with a re-entry permit in the old passport you show both passports on entry to use the visa or re-entry permit in the old one and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

Then you go to immigration to have your stamps transferred if on a extension of stay. No need to have them transferred if you have a valid multiple entry visa.

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If there is a valid multiple entry visa or valid extension of stay with a re-entry permit in the old passport you show both passports on entry to use the visa or re-entry permit in the old one and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

Then you go to immigration to have your stamps transferred if on a extension of stay. No need to have them transferred if you have a valid multiple entry visa.

Interesting. Good to know.

22 hours ago, OJAS said:

So how come the actual amounts involved appear to have slipped your mind? Maybe because you had given the receipt the @luckyluke "treatment"?

My 'new' UK passport was issued 11 09 2018 and my razor sharp brain does not retain details of all the various service charges that  have occurred during the past couple of weeks, let alone the last couple of years.  How many times have you paid the inevitable 100 baht charge for the various small services at any bank?  The UK is pretty bad as they have subcontracted many consular services to private companies and anyway that government is cash hungry. 

20 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Maybe there is a scanning system able to read the authenticity of the stamp.

Never heard/read about someone encountering this situation.

18 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

All Visa's are registered in their central computer system.....As are marriages and divorces.....

You must obtain a letter giving permission to leave and return from the immigration office otherwise your retirement vise is voided when you leave the country.  There is a small fee for this authorization but, you guessed it, I forget what it is.

48 minutes ago, notrub said:

You must obtain a letter giving permission to leave and return from the immigration office otherwise your retirement vise is voided when you leave the country.

That would be a re-entry permit not a letter. The fee is 1000 baht for a single or 3800 baht for a multiple re-entry permit.

Job done, letter in hand

Well I got my letter, I emailed VFS 28th Floor, Trendy Building, Soi 13, Bangkok

They invited me to come and pick up the letter. This I did took 5 minutes, very very helpful staff. No charge

Thanks to all those you replied to my post

• 2 weeks later...

Archived