Convert wp extension into retirement extension

I have been working for many years in Thailand. I am now thinking about retiring. I am on an extension based on my work permit. Extension is until middle of March 2021. Is it painless to convert this extension into a retirement extension? My visa back in the days was non-O, not non-B. I have had yearly extensions for about eight years.

I am based in Bangkok, but will most likely move to either Bang Saen or Bang Saray.

I did it a couple of years ago, no real problem just needed the cert from Dept. of Labour re Work Permit cancelled (school helped with this) and I had to write a letter in front of the IO to explain why I wanted to stay in Thailand.

Easy for me as I had been on a non-O Retirement Extension before getting the non-B and Work Permit, also I have a Thai wife and 2 children still of school age.

Problem is that not all offices act the same, I'm sure somebody in the past has said it was not possible without leaving the country, but I'm happy to be corrected either way.

No problem to change the reason for your extension based upon working to retirement.

You will need a letter from your employer stating your last day of work to have your current extension canceled. The cancelation will need to done at the office that issued it. Most offices will post date the cancellation to the date on the letter so you would have time to apply for the extension at a different office.

You will need the 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for the extension or proof of 65k baht income.

You will either apply at the immigration office in Sriracha (Bang Saen) or Jomtien (Bang Saray).

Thanks for your answers.

So no need to leave the country then. But how about people with extensions based on a w.p. where the visa is a non-B? My friend was wondering about this.

Would two weeks be enough time for immigration to process my application for a retirement extension? Meaning, I can go to immigration in the beginning of March.

10 hours ago, Bertil said:

So no need to leave the country then. But how about people with extensions based on a w.p. where the visa is a non-B? My friend was wondering about this.

No need to leave the country to get a new visa entry. You are just changing the reason for your extension of stay not your visa category.

10 hours ago, Bertil said:

Would two weeks be enough time for immigration to process my application for a retirement extension? Meaning, I can go to immigration in the beginning of March.

Extension of stay based upon retirement are completed on the day you apply. Jomtien and maybe another office have you return the next day to pick up your passport with the new extension stamp in it.

Archived