Thailand confirms another domestic COVID-19 case after returnee skips quarantine 

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand confirms another domestic COVID-19 case after returnee skips quarantine 

breaking news banner V2.png

Thailand’s Department of Disease Control on Thursday confirmed another case of COVID-19 from a Thai returnee from Myanmar who skipped quarantine.

The patient is a 25 year old woman from Phayao province.

The National News Bureau shared a timeline of the woman’s entry into Thailand:

Timeline:

Early Nov: Travelled to Tachilek district in Myanmar with two friends. Had no symptoms. 

24 Nov: Travelled back to Thailand via land crossing (illegally) with two friends. Skipped quarantine. Wore masks the entire time.

24 - 27 Nov - Stayed at a hotel in Mae Sai. Did not leave the hotel room. Ordered food via Grab. 

28 - 30 Nov - Moved to another hotel in Muang district, Chiang Rai. Contacted authorities for COVID-19 testing. 

30 Nov - Test results came out positive. 

The woman is the fourth found to be infected with COVID-19 in recent days after entering Thailand illegally and skipping quarantine.

On Saturday, health officials annoucned a 29 year old woman in Chiang Mai had tested positive for COVID-19, while two other women tested positive in Chiang Rai on Monday.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Tuesday that the full force of the law will be used against anyone entering Thailand illegally and skipping quarantine.

The Minister said that Thailand’s plans to re-open the country to tourism would now have to be revised due to these recent cases.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-01

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Minister said that Thailand’s plans to re-open the country to tourism would now have to be revised due to these recent cases.

Yep, sure thing, whatever you say, but what will it be next week and from what department, oh, don't bother.

Merry Go Rounds GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

This Anutin is one gangster with PM ocha. If they want to keep closing the border, they always find someone infected like miracle. They did it couple time already. There were some excuse before the case of french woman. 

If you follow the news continously, it's not really hard to read their intention. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, alianware said:

This Anutin is one gangster with PM ocha. If they want to keep closing the border, they always find someone infected like miracle. They did it couple time already. There were some excuse before the case of french woman. 

If you follow the news continously, it's not really hard to read their intention. 

Perhaps I am not clever enough and so I have to ask. What do you think are their intentions? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Seriously - where is the real connection between Thai criminals going to and fro across the Burmese border and foreign tourists flying in legally???

Exactly. There is absolutely zero correlation. Just another idiotic stab at foreign nationals

• Like 2

Fourth woman tests positive after sneaking back from Myanmar

By The Nation

800_7e384b80d25283f.jpeg?v=1606816684

A fourth Thai woman has tested positive for Covid-19 after crossing from Myanmar to Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district, local health officials said on Tuesday.

The three other women were found to be infected after they sneaking back into the northern province last week. Two remained in Chiang Rai and one travelled to Chiang Mai, sparking fears of an outbreak in the North.

The fourth case reportedly worked with the three other women in the entertainment industry in Myanmar’s Tachileik city, before sneaking back over the border to escape Covid-19 restrictions there.

The infected woman quarantined herself at a Chiang Rai hotel, before developing symptoms and surrendering to public health officials.

Sanitisation operations have begun at public venues in Mae Sai district, including the market.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398902

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-02

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

It's already here.....how long until they lock up the north in a quarantine all of its own?

I suggest that people avoid the cooler dry (in terms of humidity) places during the pandemic.....

No chance of that happening, people a flocking up north every weekend now for the nice weather and beautiful scenery, no chance that's gonna stop coz of 4 cases ( as someone has mentioned probably a lot more ).

I'm heading up there this weekend and looking forward to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

It's already here.....how long until they lock up the north in a quarantine all of its own?

I suggest that people avoid the cooler dry (in terms of humidity) places during the pandemic.....

Good ideas.

Monday morning we saw an unusual caravan of three large army helicopters and a fourth civilian copter flying due north from Bangkok. The same four copters later returned around midnight. I assume the army-govt are taking some kind of action. Three large copters would be troops, maybe the smaller on was medical personnel?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and the numbers keep going up, with the illegal back and forth to Myanmar, the extended week end travel, the change in attitude with mask wearing as less and less wear them, it sure doesn't look good .... get ready for a lock down very soon

Yeah, and the shops here are barely managing to do temp checks if in fact they do anything, and customers scan the QR code or fill in the book you must be joking (last week when I entered my details in the book I was surprised to find the person before entered the store 5 hours after me, wrong it was 4 days before).