Thai students defy school dress code on the first day of the second semester

snoop1130

6 hours ago, uncleP said:

It's all to do with control and conformity but nothing to do with education. 

it's to do with a level playing field, the same in many countries, it stops the creation of division between those who have and those who have not. education is equal for all so all should follow the rules.

teachers being allowed to cut a student's hair is another matter.

• Like 2

I`ve often wondered about the scout uniform that`s being worn to school. Do the boys get taught at the school about the scouting traditions etc?  

It`s just I never see the boys going off to a hall somewhere in the evening to meet up. Are they a part of the scouting movement?

7 hours ago, CLW said:

Nonsense, the rich kids aren't in those schools, they are studying abroad

Poppycock. "Rich" and "poor" are not absolutes. Even if the uber-rich are studying abroad, there will still be vast differences in means within classes and schools.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

A school uniform has masses to do with education.  It literally has a positive effect on education.  Lack of school uniform has a negative effect.  How can that possibly mean that it has nothing to do with education?

citation please ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, uncleP said:

IMO nothing to do with that at all. It's about preventing those with rich parents lording it over those with poor parents by their clothing quality.

Poor students would feel humiliated having to wear their shabby clothes to school while rich students would be wearing the latest fashions. It's an extra way for bullies to operate.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, uncleP said:

I wore school uniform, and it didn't make me study less or more hard than I would had I been wearing casual clothes.

Without control, schools can't teach zip, and what is wrong with conformity?

Teenagers in the west are all about conformity with their jeans.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, CLW said:

Nonsense, the rich kids aren't in those schools, they are studying abroad

What countries would they be studying in? NZ has banned all overseas students.

Methinks you are talking about the super rich, not ordinary people that are wealthy enough to buy better clothes than others.

I get the uniform argument(s), at least the socio-economic one (managed costs, lack of display of status). But everyone already knows where they stand in the Thai social pyramid so that toothpaste is already out of the tube. Rich kids bust on less-rich kids every day.

And I understand why the PtB, minions/dinos are afraid of the youngsters, and their independent thought.

For now, I'd go with one day a week, casual, for M1-6. Remove all hair restrictions. Any trainer-style footwear OK 5X.

Give it go, and if society collapses you can always go back to uniforms. I mean how much worse can the edumacation system get here? It's barely one step removed from prison anyway.

Not sure about Scout Day, Soldier Day, Fitness Day, Cheering days, etc. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I get the uniform argument(s), at least the socio-economic one (managed costs, lack of display of status). But everyone already knows where they stand in the Thai social pyramid so that toothpaste is already out of the tube. Rich kids bust on less-rich kids every day.

And I understand why the PtB, minions/dinos are afraid of the youngsters, and their independent thought.

For now, I'd go with one day a week, casual, for M1-6. Remove all hair restrictions. Any trainer-style footwear OK 5X.

Give it go, and if society collapses you can always go back to uniforms. I mean how much worse can the edumacation system get here? It's barely one step removed from prison anyway.

Not sure about Scout Day, Soldier Day, Fitness Day, Cheering days, etc. 

Far as I'm concerned, schools are just somewhere to park the kids so adults can work. My school was so disruptive that I learned nothing useful till AFTER I left school.

All I got from school was being bullied, a hatred of organised sports, and dislike of authority.

However it did make it easy to join the services as it was just more of the same.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its about the kids being equal and the rich kids not wearing expensive designer clothes and the poor kids not wearing rags .

Kids of rich families usually do not frequent same schools as kids from poor families.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, djayz said:

They have to wear a scout's uniform on at least one day a week. I distinctlybremember thinking everytime I see them what they could possibly be learning about the boy/girl scouts at school. Then, there's the separate uniform for "sports day". Again, me often wonders why there's a whole school day per week dedicated to sports. Finally, there's at least one more uniform, the typical white shirt and shorts/skirt one. So, maybe I exaggerated a little when I implied that there are 5 uniforms, nevertheless, 3 different uniforms are still two too many IMHO. 

Several schools in Phuket also have a colourful shirt they wear on Fridays, making four uniforms.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to The Isaan Record webpage, students at Kaen Nakhon Wittayalai School, in the northeastern province of Khon Kaen, who were not wearing uniforms, were separated in a conference hall and barred from attending the daily playing of the national anthem.

Bonus.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

They are legally required to send their kids to school .

If they can afford non uniform clothes, then they can afford uniforms .

Every Mother in Thailand can afford to pay for school uniforms , 

And those that can't can get assistance from charitable institutions. 

• Like 1