South Koreans, Chinese clash on social media over Chinese-style Kimchi winning international certificate

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

I read a media story that China now says Kimchi is theirs,

as always,  everything was invented by China, they Never still anything from anybody, Never ...555

note: some of the words above may have a sarcasm intent

• Haha 2

National cuisine can be a major point of pride, and something as well known as kimchi (I think it's great, though it does produce some powerful garlic breath) could certainly become an issue if some interloper claims it. I think it's fair to say if the entire world, save for China and South Korea, were polled as to the origin of kimchi, 99%+ would say South Korea.

Years ago I had two friends, one from Greece one from Lebanon, and often we all dined together. I could start a heated argument by asking, "Where did stuffed grape leaves (waraq einab in Arabic, dolma in Greek) first arise?" Both men were insistent that their nation introduced these delightful things to the world. All I would have needed for a Great Power conflict would be to add an Armenian to the group (yalanchi is what Armenians call it).

Fortunately, as an American, nobody else in the world is ever going to claim any US creation, such as Velveeta, and upset me. Okay, maybe spicy chicken wings?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Fortunately, as an American, nobody else in the world is ever going to claim any US creation, such as Velveeta, and upset me. Okay, maybe spicy chicken wings?

You're forgetting about our U.S. thin version of  "French Fries"???  :thumbsup:

Although french fries were a popular dish in most British Commonwealth countries, the "thin style" french fries have been popularized worldwide in large part by the large American fast food chains such as McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's.[58] In the United States, the J. R. Simplot Company is credited with successfully commercializing french fries in frozen form during the 1940s. Subsequently, in 1967, Ray Kroc of McDonald's contracted the Simplot company to supply them with frozen fries, replacing fresh-cut potatoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries#Etymology

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

21 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I think it's fair to say if the entire world, save for China and South Korea, were polled as to the origin of kimchi, 99%+ would say South Korea.

TBH that often just reflects which country's version of something the rest of the world became familiar with first. For example, people think go is Japanese...

There are fairly frequent spats between China and Korea/Japan over shared aspects of their cultures. Given the antiquity and nebulous origin of pickling vegetables in this way, i think this one is actually slightly more ridiculous than most of the others.

If this gripe is valid, Egypt, site of the world's earliest evidence of cheesemaking,  has a serious bone to pick with France

23 hours ago, Traubert said:

Whoever invented it, it's vile stuff.

Vile? Do you know how many types of Korean Kimchi there are? I suppose the speck of land you hail from may have "vile" foodstuffs as well.