O - A 1 year Visa Extension Financial Requirement

Hi All,

If I have a 1 Year Non-Imm O-A visa from the Thai embassy in London, and want to extend it in Bangkok, will I just have to show c.£20,000 in a UK account with no fund requirements in a Thai bank?

Just checking to make sure that extension does not require the need to show any funds in a Thai bank or income coming into Thailand....

Thanks.

For extensions to non O-A you require exactly same financials as per extension to non O.

800k in Thai bank in your name only. For 2 months prior to application for extension and maintained for 3 months post application date then not below 400k and back up to 800k 2 months prior to the date you attend imm for next extension.

Also you will require insurance.

If you opt for income method then deposits into Thai bank of 65k for 2 months prior then continue every month. Min deposit per month 65k. Messy option however many use income method.

Remember you can also use the monthly income method of not less than 65,000 THB per month for the previous 12 months using the monthly deposit method into your Thai bank account from your home country bank.  You will need to obtain 12 months of statements from your Thai bank showing the FTT transactions monthly if not using the 800K THB in your account for the previous 2 months without going below the 800K.  Remember that you will also need to show a 1 year Thai insurance policy certificate as well.

Thanks guys. Thats a shame, as I am in Thailand about 6 months per year so it may be better to go the tourist visa route if/when things begin to get more back to normal...

Of course I guess I can just apply for a new non O-A each year...

Just now, Dazzler said:

Thanks guys. Thats a shame, as I am in Thailand about 6 months per year so it may be better to go the tourist visa route if/when things begin to get more back to normal...

When borders are open you can actually obtain 2 years out of each non O-A..

26 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Dr Jack, do  I do this by exiting Thailand a few days before my visa expires with a re-entry visa, and then coming back into Thailand just before the visa expires?

Yes except you don't need a reentry permit.

Your O-A is multi for it's 12 month life. As you state just exit and re-enter prior to your non O-A expiry and you will be stamped in for additional 12 month. 

Be aware that if you wish to exit Thailand and reenter in the "second year" you need to obtain reentry permit. Easy process at airport.

DrJack, let's assume I come back into Thailand on April 25, 2021, just before my visa expires on April 30 2021.

If I leave Thailand again say on June 30th 2021, does the visa then expire, or can I come in and out after April 25 as often as I like until April 25 2022?

If I am free to come in and out after April 25, do I need a re-etry permit each time?

Thanks!

OP.... The O-A is a multiple entry visa with a life of 12 months from issue, its life cannot be extended, it expires on it's date of expiry. Each time you enter  during that year you will be given a 12 month permission of stay or less depending on the life of your medical insurance. (Also during Covid  there are extra requirements like a  COE, Covid insurance and 2 weeks quarantine. )

So during the life of the Visa you can come and go on  the Visa itself. When it expires, presumably you are sitting in Thailand with a long permission of stay, If you now wish to leave, a Re-Entry Permit is required to keep any Permission to Stay alive, if not, it is lost. You would need to return before the Permission to Stay Expires.

When near the end of that permission, a 12 month Extension based on marriage or retirement is possible. This will require money in a Thai bank (800,000 baht) or income from outside Thailand, again into a local bank of 65,000 baht each month in the case of retirement.

It is important to understand the differences between Visas, and Extensions. In the main (some exceptions), Visas you obtain from Thai Embassies or Consulates outside Thailand (and they will expire per the date on them), Extensions (to the permission to Stay) are obtained domestically. 

Just to add to the confusion, many people call Extensions 'Visas', even the Immigration people themselves..... an old, much argued, issue on this board. 

9 hours ago, Dazzler said:

you can get 2 years in Thailand with a non imm 'O''A' visa, just requires a border bounce/ fresh entry before the expiry date of the visa issued by London

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

OP.... The O-A is a multiple entry visa with a life of 12 months from issue, its life cannot be extended, it expires on it's date of expiry. Each time you enter  during that year you will be given a 12 month permission of stay or less depending on the life of your medical insurance. (Also during Covid  there are extra requirements like a  COE, Covid insurance and 2 weeks quarantine. )

So during the life of the Visa you can come and go on  the Visa itself. When it expires, presumably you are sitting in Thailand with a long permission of stay, If you now wish to leave, a Re-Entry Permit is required to keep any Permission to Stay alive, if not, it is lost. You would need to return before the Permission to Stay Expires.

When near the end of that permission, a 12 month Extension based on marriage or retirement is possible. This will require money in a Thai bank (800,000 baht) or income from outside Thailand, again into a local bank of 65,000 baht each month in the case of retirement.

It is important to understand the differences between Visas, and Extensions. In the main (some exceptions), Visas you obtain from Thai Embassies or Consulates outside Thailand (and they will expire per the date on them), Extensions (to the permission to Stay) are obtained domestically. 

Just to add to the confusion, many people call Extensions 'Visas', even the Immigration people themselves..... an old, much argued, issue on this board. 

Thanks for that jacko45k.

Can you confirm that once I am on my extension i.e. after the original visa has expired:

1. I can come and go on the extension for a period of 12 monhs from the extension stamp date?

2. Each time I leave Thailand on the extension I need to get a re-entry permit to allow re-entry on the extension?

3. During the period of the extension there is no requirement for 800k in a Thai bank or 65k transfers?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

1> You would need a multiple re-entry permit. And Covid restrictions to be lifted.

2> A single each trip (1000 baht) or multiple (3800 baht) for the term of the Extension.

3> The 800k must be retained for 3 months into the extension, then can be drawn down to 400k for 7 months. 800k for 2 months preceding a new extension OR 12 months of 65,000 baht deposits demonstrated. During a second year still on the Visa (before it expires) there are no financial obligations. 

15 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Can you confirm that once I am on my extension i.e. after the original visa has expired:

1. I can come and go on the extension for a period of 12 monhs from the extension stamp date?

2. Each time I leave Thailand on the extension I need to get a re-entry permit to allow re-entry on the extension?

3. During the period of the extension there is no requirement for 800k in a Thai bank or 65k transfers?

Thanks!

You can buy reentry permit. 1000 single entry.

3800 multi entry.

If using money in the bank, it's required for 2 months prior to application then maintained for 3 months after then not below 400 and raised back up to 800 two months prior to the day you apply for next extension

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

1> You would need a multiple re-entry permit. And Covid restrictions to be lifted.

2> A single each trip (1000 baht) or multiple (3800 baht) for the term of the Extension.

3> The 800k must be retained for 3 months into the extension, then can be drawn down to 400k for 7 months. 800k for 2 months preceding a new extension OR 12 months of 65,000 baht deposits demonstrated. During a second year still on the Visa (before it expires) there are no financial obligations. 

Re 3.,  I would be on a Non O-A issued showing money in a UK Bank.

Are you saying that to get the extension of the O-A I would then need to show 800k in a Thai bank (or 65k transfers)?

4 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Re 3.,  I would be on a Non O-A issued showing money in a UK Bank.

Are you saying that to get the extension of the O-A I would then need to show 800k in a Thai bank (or 65k transfers)?

Yes I am... and your O-A visa would effectively be expired.

You would be applying for an Extension of an O-A Permission to stay and that requires proof of funds in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes I am... and your O-A would effectively be expired.

You would be on an Extension of an O-A Permission and that requires proof of funds in Thailand.

Ah, that's a shame! At that point to spend 2-3 more months in Thailand nipping out for a tourist visa would be a better option than an extension, in non-covid restricted times obviously....

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Ah, that's a shame! At that point to spend 2-3 more months in Thailand nipping out for a tourist visa would be a better option than an extension, in non-covid restricted times obviously....

You get 2 easy years (non-Covid times) from an O-A Visa, and you can only get away with nipping in and out for a short while. Most would go home for another O-A in the past.

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You get 2 easy years (non-Covid times) from an O-A Visa, and you can only get away with nipping in and out for a short while. Most would go home for another O-A in the past.

But Covid or no Covid, I would still need the 800k in a Thai bank to get my extension i.e. a second year?

13 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Once you have done.used your second year.yes u do

Olmate, I think Jacko45 is saying I need to satisy the 800k or income requirement to get the extension, which then gives me a second year. After that second year I would need to get a new visa.

6 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Olmate, I think Jacko45 is saying I need to satisy the 800k or income requirement to get the extension, which then gives me a second year. After that second year I would need to get a new visa.

If you can leave the country and return before the end of the first year on your O-A visa you will be given a second year.  That second year is when you would need the re-entry permit in case you left the country in order to return and keep  that stay alive in your passport.  If you can not use the ME portion of your Visa to get a second year then yes you will need to do what is called an extension of stay based upon your O-A Retirement.  You would need to apply for that at CW or your local IO.  You will need to show the money in the bank method, your Thai health insurance policy or the monthly transfers supported by bank statements.

12 hours ago, Dazzler said:

But Covid or no Covid, I would still need the 800k in a Thai bank to get my extension i.e. a second year?

No..... under non-Covid conditions, and presuming you renew the Medical Insurance, a second year is obtained by leaving and returning to Thailand just prior to the expiration of the O-A Visa. This would achieve a new 12 month Permission to Stay.... that is NOT an Extension. 

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No..... under non-Covid conditions, and presuming you renew the Medical Insurance, a second year is obtained by leaving and returning to Thailand just prior to the expiration of the O-A Visa. This would achieve a new 12 month Permission to Stay.... that is NOT an Extension. 

OK, thanks for clarifying, much appreciated.

Archived