Cabinet gives green light to new 120kph speed limit

snoop1130

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

For sure they will be #1 next year.

They probably already are. Remember that the official figures only count those who die at the scene.

If you added all those that die later in hospital from their injuries they would probably be number one by a country mile.

• Like 1

Increasing the speed limits will certainly reduce deaths on the highways and improve the all important image of this country. A new marketing scheme for TAT. "Come to Thailand, the Hub of Chaotic Roadways".

• Haha 1

Hhhmmmmhhh, that means that Isuzu basically have to make their truck engines more powerful to allow for all these baby shrimp delivery guys to drive double the new official speed limit... So far, that was 180km/h in places, but now we are up to 240km/h to reach that totally understandable level, since Isuzu pickup drivers simply HAVE to show others who's Boss...

I fear that Isuzu will need at least three months of planning and redesigning to do that, what means that those poor drivers will have to be patient for a while, some trait they have never really learned... I deeply feel sorry for them.

Am actually looking forward to the then upcoming Isuzu advertising clips on cinema - I see more flames, slipping and sliding, amazing drift, screeching tyres, and rocket fast high power Isuzus overshooting the earthly limitations of the big silver screens while the souls of all these local, well educated and hyper responsible drivers in this country will yearn for these new, shiny rockets on wheels...

Most likely, the Isuzu videos will outperform the actual movies that follow the ads and the national anthem. It's all so exciting... and frightening at the same time. What a life!!! :cowboy: ????

1 minute ago, Freigeist365 said:

Hhhmmmmhhh, that means that Isuzu basically have to make their truck engines more powerful to allow for all these baby shrimp delivery guys to drive double the new official speed limit... So far, that was 180km/h in places, but now we are up to 240km/h to reach that totally understandable level, since Isuzu pickup drivers simply HAVE to show others who's Boss...

A loaded Izuzu pickup will weigh more than 2.2 ton..... 90kh/m limit for that bad boy !!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

A loaded Izuzu pickup will weigh more than 2.2 ton..... 90kh/m limit for that bad boy !!

Wow - so Isuzu has even some more power tweaking to do... Maybe they can add a tiny nuclear thingy to reach the desired speed level? Or a Flux Generator like in Back to the Future... ????

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:
15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The speed limits will apply on national and rural highways of four lanes separated by a barrier and without U-turn points.

So Expressways outside Greater Bangkok and The Motorway. The Motorway already has posted 120 limit. Everything else has U turns!

You see? They're not so stupid after all.

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Then there's those traffic jam ups at the red lights every few km or so on the main highways from north to south, east to west...????

Put there to stop people driving through towns at 120!

22 minutes ago, Freigeist365 said:

Wow - so Isuzu has even some more power tweaking to do... Maybe they can add a tiny nuclear thingy to reach the desired speed level? Or a Flux Generator like in Back to the Future... ????

They will do 200km/h out of the box without a load, need to remove the 180km/h speed limiter though.

14 hours ago, tgw said:

there's me scratching my head... I thought 120 Kph is already the current limit on the highway.

I think that's just on the Toll highways. The regular ones are slower.
This is highway 35 heading towards Bangkok:

g.png.0f8bbfdb57d2e38607ad8a387ff16b12.png

What's hilarious is they show a speed limit for motorcycles, but a couple weeks ago when I rode on the #35 to/from Petchaburi, I kept seeing these signs too:

f.png.5dd1352883aff6933d9afc26ea7eaee6.png

And it would usually be a "no motorcycles" sign first, then a couple hundred meters later a sign saying the speed limit for motorcycles is 90. Saw the same signs going both ways.

12 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I think that's just on the Toll highways. The regular ones are slower.
This is highway 35 heading towards Bangkok:

g.png.0f8bbfdb57d2e38607ad8a387ff16b12.png

What's hilarious is they show a speed limit for motorcycles, but a couple weeks ago when I rode on the #35 to/from Petchaburi, I kept seeing these signs too:

f.png.5dd1352883aff6933d9afc26ea7eaee6.png

And it would usually be a "no motorcycles" sign first, then a couple hundred meters later a sign saying the speed limit for motorcycles is 90. Saw the same signs going both ways.

This one does rankle, I have a 150 and I can quite understand why it shouldn't be on a motorway, but highways?   How are you supposed to get across the country?

Also, could someone explain to me why larger bikes - that can keep up with most cars and outperform many - aren't allowed?

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think I need to go into the undertaker business and rent out refrigerated caskets.  Looks like the investment will pay off nicely.  Have not found anything that says it is a Thai only job.

That’s a great idea but remember you own only 49% of it. 

14 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

"... Meanwhile motorcycles have an 80kph speed limit, though big bikes of 35kW or more have a 100kph ceiling. ..."

What were the bike limits before on a 90 kph highway?  90?

Big bikes are not allowed on the highway (7) so it does not make a different!

14 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Instead of raising the speed limit what about slipping a few patrol cars on the highways to fine people ( and a hefty fine at that ) who start using the hard shoulder when traffic gets busy or to jump ahead at traffic lights.

R U crazy D! You are asking the patrol to work. They claiming they not making any money now, which is probably true. No work, No pay. If they were out there enforcing the law, they would have lots of money coming in. The accident rate would be lowered within 6 months.

Saftey checks. Do you know how many vehicle be on the roads without stop lights or lights period? Countless...

When it comes to the highways they should adopt Europe system. Trucks/Buses can only use the passing lanes in a zone where they know a slower vehicle can be overtaken by other trucks/buses.

Overloaded vehicle is killing the highways and raids period. If the roads should have what weight can be transported on it. Vehicles have weight specification that is not being enforce. 

You don’t need a GED to see the BS they allow the trucks transport on these weightless roads. 

Bottom line, lives don’t matter in this country when it comes the highways, roads, and inter city streets. All foreigners can do is pray every time they leave their resident.????????????????????????????????????????

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

This one does rankle, I have a 150 and I can quite understand why it shouldn't be on a motorway, but highways?   How are you supposed to get across the country?

Also, could someone explain to me why larger bikes - that can keep up with most cars and outperform many - aren't allowed?

You will probably find that where there is a suitable service or frontage road they prefer bike to use that. Bikes ar allowed where there is no sevice road. Same logic as no bikes on overpasses with no hard shoulder.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Meanwhile motorcycles have an 80kph speed limit, though big bikes of 35kW or more have a 100kph ceiling.

Great, that puts big bikes in unnecessary danger because they are not allowed to go with the flow of cars which are 20kph faster. You can go fast enough to make it dangerous but not fast enough to remove some danger. Maximum danger potential.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The draft regulation also sets a minimum speed for the fast lane of highways of 100kph, aimed at easing traffic congestion and helping the transport sector.

Oh cool, so now I will have to go at a minimum speed of 100kph when overtaking oh but also not more than 100kph. Better go exactly that speed. Sigh.

Of course they found a way to screw the new rules up.

Edited by eisfeld

100 kmh limit fior 35kW big bikes? Still cannot use highway? Third world country!

A lot of different speed limits for different vehicles. Stupid to have on the same road even on the same lane speed limits from 90 to 12ü depending what u drive. Not exactly a safery improvement.

Road safety can increasy 1. If Thais get driving school education, and 2. If traffic rules, especially speed limits get enforced by the police.

The new limits will change absolutely nothing.