Has something changed in the counting days of visa extension?

Did anything change in conditions of visa extension last month? I had applied on covid stamp extension 17.11 in Phuket IO, got u/c stamp till 30.11. And yesterday I got my final stamp till 16.01.2021. They counted 60 days from the date of my application, but not from the next day of my current stamp expiration. As I remember, many years they counted days of extension from the next day after last stamp in the passport. Before I had 30 day covid extension by letter from embassy till 30.11. And as I know several people. who got their final stamp yesterday in Phuket IO had got same stamps, counting from date of application.

Yeah, Bangkok Immigration switched to doing that sometime in the last month.  I think the only result of them doing this is that the crowds may be more manageable at extension application time because it spreads the deadlines for doing those extensions out,.

Except of course for all the people who waited until the last day.  Reports from MTT on November 30th sounded rather nightmarish.  If I were any of those people, I'd probably sacrifice a few days of the current extension and go in earlier next time.

1 hour ago, asiacurious said:

Yeah, Bangkok Immigration switched to doing that sometime in the last month.  I think the only result of them doing this is that the crowds may be more manageable at extension application time because it spreads the deadlines for doing those extensions out,.

Except of course for all the people who waited until the last day.  Reports from MTT on November 30th sounded rather nightmarish.  If I were any of those people, I'd probably sacrifice a few days of the current extension and go in earlier next time.

Arrived at 11, left with under consideration stamp at 9:53.

Wanted to go tuesday or wednesday, but simply could niot get an appointment for any slot other than november 30 at 1 pm.

3 hours ago, n00dle said:

Arrived at 11, left with under consideration stamp at 9:53.

Wanted to go tuesday or wednesday, but simply could niot get an appointment for any slot other than november 30 at 1 pm.

So you left before your entered? Clever.

All extensions of stay now appear to commence on the day you show up at ( Chaeng Wattana ) immigration, irrespective of when your previous stamp was originally due to expire. So it is not worth turning up early ( as in the past ). 

A good example was today when I picked up my covid extension - It should have run 60 days from from 25 Nov to 24 Jan. Because 25 Nov was the original end date of the visa amnesty. But my passport was stamped with an extension from 18 Nov to 16 Jan instead. This is due to the fact I went there on 18th Nov which was a few days early. Lesson learned. 

Report from MTT - 1 Dec

Apply 60 day extension on 17 Nov, got under consideration stamp until 1-Dec. Coming back again yesterday and got stamp until 29-Jan-21. 

I guess different IO have different practice.

Anyway, MTT yesterday was a nightmare. The people who need to get final stamp must join with others who do last minute application. We enter at 9AM (they move to other building where counter J located), got final stamp at 1PM. 

In Pattaya Thai Immigration counts the day you get your visa as day 1 of your stay. 

The do the same for the 90 day report, start counting the day you report as day 1.  If you do your 90 day report early then the new 90 days starts on the day you report, not the day the old 90 days expires.

1 hour ago, Fat George said:

All extensions of stay now appear to commence on the day you show up at ( Chaeng Wattana ) immigration, irrespective of when your previous stamp was originally due to expire. So it is not worth turning up early ( as in the past ). 

Nobody warned me in advance on the day of application that could be so ????

Visited today to ask officer why they stamped such dates in the passport, she answered that I must be happy that stay so long in Thailand and don't go out for visa. Look like she gave the favor, but other immigration offices don't know that they give the favor for my money.

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

In Pattaya Thai Immigration counts the day you get your visa as day 1 of your stay. 

The do the same for the 90 day report, start counting the day you report as day 1.  If you do your 90 day report early then the new 90 days starts on the day you report, not the day the old 90 days expires.

Not so down here (Hat Yai  )It goes by Date what's on your slip in your passport .

One can do the report  up to 14 days before and up to 7 days after the date on your slip in your passport.

Same with the yearly extension that goes by date not from the day you apply that's why one can go up to 30 days early if one wishes to do so. 

16 hours ago, fishtank said:

So you left before your entered? Clever.

9:53 pm. There were still people lined up to get into the building after dark.

It was quite the adventure. I wouldnt be surprised if the last few got out after midnight.

11 hours for an under consideration stamp.

There were reports on Phuket Immigration turning people away in mid-November, warning them that they would lose 2 weeks if they applied then so better to come back at the end of the month. I scoured the forum here last week and it was clear that the practice for COVID 60 day extensions has been changed to giving 60 days from the date of application rather than from when the current permission to stay expires.

Here's my 60 day COVID extension report from Phuket, to cut a long story short:

Day 1: I went to Phuket I/O at 8:30AM on Friday 11/27, only to be told to come back on Monday 11/30 because all 200 queue tickets for Friday had already been given away the day before. They promised everyone would get their application processed on Monday, "don't worry". That was reassuring.
Day 2: So I went on Monday 11/30 and got there at 8:15AM, before the office officially opens. Already bustling with lots of people milling around. I was given a queue ticket for the day in the mid 100's, told to come back after 1PM and I did. My application was checked quickly and accepted with no fuss. I was told to come back the next day to pick up passport.

Day 3: Tuesday December 1st, showed up after lunch to pick up passport. All done in a minute, no waiting. Got Under Consideration stamp for 12/15. Now I need to go back again to get final stamp. I was told that I will be given 60 days from Nov 30.

So it takes 4 trips to I/O all in all and 8 very expensive taxi rides back and forth from the other end of Phuket. I thought we had it pretty bad with all the time wasting with the unnecessary expensive taxi trips. Looks like we had it easy comparing to MTT! I got my previous end of amnesty extension done in MTT. 

6 hours ago, n00dle said:

Im might suggest it is worth losing a few days to never go through 11 hours at immigration again. I figure thats worth a week easy.

Did my Extension only yesterday, Retirement at Jomtiem,  A wait of 10 minutes, handled efficiently. and on my way 15 minutes after arriving. Just have to traipse back again today to pick up the PP. A shame I have to go through this unnerving process each year, always fear one day they will give me grief, it is like being on probation.

10 hours ago, n00dle said:

9:53 pm. There were still people lined up to get into the building after dark.

It was quite the adventure. I wouldnt be surprised if the last few got out after midnight.

11 hours for an under consideration stamp.

Surely an agent is now worth the money !

30 minutes ago, poohy said:

Surely an agent is now worth the money !

it was a one off experience and I learned my lesson to book appointments a few days earlier. 

I cant see the point in hiring an agent for this task when I would bave beeded to be there anyways.

Archived