Teach English With criminal Record (drink driving)

Jamiehex

I've seen enough of Ingrish teachers in Thailand over the decades to know why the level of spoken English all over Thailand is so poor. I was frustrated by it before I had kids here, and now I have kids here I'm pretty selective about where they go to school (well, went in the case of my adult daughter). I think the best thing that can be done for the OP is be candid. I think that you should want to come here for other reasons than being all luvved up with a bit of squeeze you were nobbing at university, you'd be like a kid in a candy store when you get here anyway, the relationship is doomed. Frankly I wouldn't want a reckless kid with garbage grammar teaching MY kids.

Sure, we all make mistakes when young, anyone can teach English and might even find a passion for it, but there are reasons English is so bad in Thailand, low standards. Teachers should have the very highest standards, in background, behavior and actual skills in the language they dare to teach, which the OP clearly lacks.

Edited by NilSS
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Stay there, I'd rather not have someone as irresponsible as you teaching my children.. Drunk driving! Shame on you! With so many public transport services available there is no excuse for your actions.. ????

As you have said this, I’m going to go ahead and tell you the story.

I was at an event and supporting a friend perform, at the venue there was a yard with my scooter stored and I was never intending to use it as I lived round the corner. I was approached and told some strangers were acting suspicious, so I went to retrieve the bike to give to a friend. As this has happened I’ve been crowded and had no choice but to start it and make an escape, the police then witnessed them dragging me off the bike but I was still arrested. 

maybe now you know the story you’ll understand I’m not as irresponsible as you think, it was just bad luck. 

Edited by Jamiehex
  • Like 1

All foreigners who work at the schools I am affiliated with are required to get a criminal records check.  The check is done by the police and it includes any country in which you have resided for a period of time.  It also involves a check of your home country.   There are a few exceptions as some countries (such as the Philippines) do a criminal records check when you apply for a passport.  If it is a new employee with a new passport, that record is submitted with the application for a Work Permit/Teacher's License. 

If you are from a foreign country, went to work in another country such as Korea, then came to Thailand, they will check your home country and Korea.  

3 hours ago, Jamiehex said:

As you have said this, I’m going to go ahead and tell you the story.

I was at an event and supporting a friend perform, at the venue there was a yard with my scooter stored and I was never intending to use it as I lived round the corner. I was approached and told some strangers were acting suspicious, so I went to retrieve the bike to give to a friend. As this has happened I’ve been crowded and had no choice but to start it and make an escape, the police then witnessed them dragging me off the bike but I was still arrested. 

maybe now you know the story you’ll understand I’m not as irresponsible as you think, it was just bad luck. 

Sounds like a good story, did you tell that to the judge?

On 12/2/2020 at 3:28 AM, AlexRich said:

I don’t actually think it is a criminal offence, so I don’t actually think it would be on a criminal clearance record. I think it is a civil offence, like speeding. The only thing you can do is try.

you can't go to jail for a civil offence

4 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

you can't go to jail for a civil offence

Quick search brought this back, case closed:

Yes, drink driving is a criminal offence under Section 5(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Driving while exceeding the legal limit can result in a criminal record, a driving disqualification, an unlimited fine and in serious cases a prison sentence! What is the legal drink driving limit in the UK?

Also they use drink instead of drunk.. A country where the English language originated, shocking!

Iv'e had enough of this now, I'm going to get back to work...

On 12/2/2020 at 12:11 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Why is it a criminal record it is just DUI ? Well never mind I never had a ticked since i got my license 

since I was 18, now I am 73

It depends on the country. DUI without arrest should be on criminal record but shouldn't show up on someone's request of criminal record check (eg: employer). If DUI led to arrest it's a different story. Again it all depends on the country. 

Edited by Sundown

3 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Does not condone breaking the law!

You said there was no excuse. 

Have you really never broken the law? 

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle without a helmet here? 

Have you ever driven a car/ridden a motorcycle after a drink? 

On 12/2/2020 at 3:28 AM, AlexRich said:

I don’t actually think it is a criminal offence, so I don’t actually think it would be on a criminal clearance record. I think it is a civil offence, like speeding. The only thing you can do is try.

You're actually wrong, a conviction for drunk driving in the UK actually is a criminal offence, i.e. a crime was actually committed. 

Speeding is not a "civil offence" which is a reference to UK military law. 

Edited by Qualibus

On 12/2/2020 at 5:47 PM, simon43 said:
On 12/2/2020 at 5:25 PM, wotsdermatter said:

As you are seeking advice, I have two pieces for you.  First, improve your English.  Second, check with the Thai Embassy.  As they issue the visa, they are able to provide the best answer and give full information.

'nuf sed.

Perhaps you should also improve your English...  ("advise").

I was waiting for the poster, Jamiehex, to say something as there are several mistakes in his posting but obviously that never happened as you beat him to it.

'nuf sed.

Edited by wotsdermatter
  • Sad 1