Is Thailand open now for normal tourists?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cubism001 said:

Where can I read about the rules, etc.?

On the Thai Embassy website for whatever country you're in (multiple threads on the subject here but might as well go to the source).

Things have relaxed a little; more visa options without ridiculous show 500K Bht (equivalent) in bank account for six months but still insurance, quarantine etc.

Without specifics of your situation not likely to get specific answers.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

On the Thai Embassy website for whatever country you're in (multiple threads on the subject here but might as well go to the source).

Things have relaxed a little; more visa options without ridiculous show 500K Bht (equivalent) in bank account for six months but still insurance, quarantine etc.

Without specifics of your situation not likely to get specific answers.

You will need to get a visa and Certificate of entry in advance from the thai embassy in your country.

You will need to do a two week quarantine in an approved hotel when you arrive.  You will also need insurance covering covid for the duration of you stay.

I have cleaned out some off topic posts and the expected replies to them.

It is still not a normal situation for tourists but there is the special tourist visa (STV) for those from low risk countries and a single entry tourist visa for all others. 
Both require you to apply for a certificate of entry (COE), have $100,000 covid 19 insurance and go into the 14 day quarantine.

Check on the Thai embassy or official consulate website for where you are located for info on which visa can be applied for and their COE requirements.

Links to all embassies and official consulate can be found here. https://www.thaiembassy.org/ 

1 hour ago, Mops59 said:

The website of the Royal Thai Embassy in your country will have more information. STV special tourist visa. COE certificate of entry. 16day/15 night mandatory quarantine in ASQ alternative state quarantine.

Very few embassies and official consulate websites will have info about the STV on it since most are not located in a low risk country. They will only have info about the single entry tourist visa.

At the moment only about 300 tourists a week are being allowed into Thailand and the requirements for visiting Thailand are very strict and expensive including 2 weeks of Compulsory Quarantine the first of which you spend locked in your hotel room. Look at Ubon Joe's post for the relevant information and website with the latest details. In essence it's only worthwhile coming if you intend to stay for a long holiday and can afford the Quarantine and insurance. 

13 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

@ubonjoeIf one enters on STV or the Single Entry Visa...after quarantine, can one then start the process of getting a Non-O and extension based on retirement? 

Not with the STV since it is not a standard tourist visa. It can be done with the single entry tourist visa.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is still not a normal situation for tourists but there is the special tourist visa (STV) for those from low risk countries and a single entry tourist visa for all others. 
Both require you to apply for a certificate of entry (COE), have $100,000 covid 19 insurance and go into the 14 day quarantine.

Ubonjoe

If you are from a country that covers you for Covid 19 even when you are out of the home country and coming to Thailand, do you need an additional policy from a Thai Insurance Company.  If not, what sort of proof would you have to submit in order to get the COE 

20 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Ubonjoe

If you are from a country that covers you for Covid 19 even when you are out of the home country and coming to Thailand, do you need an additional policy from a Thai Insurance Company.  If not, what sort of proof would you have to submit in order to get the COE 

Think you will find that the policy requires specific statement that "covid 19 is covered to $100,000"

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you will find that the policy requires specific statement that "covid 19 is covered to $100,000"

Almost no international policy has such language. And plenty of people have entered on international insurance policies. There is no requirement that the insurance be from a Thai company.

What you will need, is a letter from the insurer stating that you are insured for XXX )or unlimited) and that this includes COVID.

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What you will need, is a letter from the insurer stating that you are insured for XXX )or unlimited) and that this includes COVID.

I did not say policy needs to be from Thai insurance company. I stated that specific statement re 100k coverage is required. You confirmed that by stating "letter from insurer.." specifically regarding covid coverage, would be required.

It seems like Thailand will maybe reopen in march, so wait until then. Vaccines has been sent to holland for testing, if they approve them, europe would be starting to vaccinate its population in the start of january, there is 2 doses to be taken with the 2nd dose has to be taken after 2 weeks. So expect europe to be completely vaccinated in Q2, and thats where thailand claims to start reopening

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Almost no international policy has such language. And plenty of people have entered on international insurance policies. There is no requirement that the insurance be from a Thai company.

I.e., that's what the Thai Embassy in German/Berlin demands exactly on its web page.

6 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

It seems like Thailand will maybe reopen in march, so wait until then. Vaccines has been sent to holland for testing, if they approve them, europe would be starting to vaccinate its population in the start of january, there is 2 doses to be taken with the 2nd dose has to be taken after 2 weeks. So expect europe to be completely vaccinated in Q2, and thats where thailand claims to start reopening

Where have you heard that Thailand maybe will reopen in march ? Seems like pure speculation IMO.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:09 AM, cubism001 said:

Hello, I seem to have missed this, & hope it's true.  I'm stuck in a SA country, not my cup of tea. Can I come back to Thailand now?  Where can I read about the rules, etc.?  Thank you.

Go to the Thai embassy in your country and ask.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Go to the Thai embassy in your country and ask.

That is hard to do now since most are closed for walkins and the few things they do in person is by appointment only.

By phone or email it about the only way to contact them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've lost track of a basic: a person has to apply for a Tourist Visa now in their home country?  I've seen posts by others who work & live abroad having to use their birth country's websites or even return to their country just for a tourist visa... Specifically, I left the US in Oct. after being there for a few years. Now I'm in Ecuador. The Ecuadorian Thai asst. consulate said I couldn't get a Tourist visa in EC or Peru; only in the US. Please advise. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

I've lost track of a basic: a person has to apply for a Tourist Visa now in their home country?  I've seen posts by others who work & live abroad having to use their birth country's websites or even return to their country just for a tourist visa... Specifically, I left the US in Oct. after being there for a few years. Now I'm in Ecuador. The Ecuadorian Thai asst. consulate said I couldn't get a Tourist visa in EC or Peru; only in the US. Please advise. Thanks.

Some embassies will only issue visas to those who are citizens or legal residents of the countries where they are located.

You may have to fly to the US to get the tourist visa.

Info can be found here on Thai embassy in Washington DC. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

11 hours ago, cubism001 said:

It'll work by mail. Only thing is they assume you're leaving from the US & will return to the US. I'll leave from Ecuador & would prefer an onward ticket, not a return.   Thank you.

I think you may have to do the mail in visa application and return of it while in the US.

They will accept a onward flight ticket to anywhere.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you may have to do the mail in visa application and return of it while in the US.

They will accept a onward flight ticket to anywhere.

Thank you!  Onward ticket is important. The LA Consulate said 'It is suggested that you study the website.'  My interpretation: download the items to them. 

47 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

The LA Consulate said 'It is suggested that you study the website.'  My interpretation: download the items to them. 

Online would only be the certificate of entry application. For the tourist visa application you to mail your passport and etc to them. Info is here: https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/tourist-visa/

When you do the online certificate of entry application the embassy will forward to the consulate for the state you enter unless you are within their jurisdiction. See: https://www.cognitoforms.com/RoyalThaiEmbassy1/onlineapplication

Visa exempt entries have been approved and should be shown on the embassy and consulate websites this coming week. That might work out good for you to go through the certificate of entry process from the embassy in Peru and start your trip from Ecuador since you would not need a visa.

But what would a visa exempt do to how long I can stay? And now the borders are closed, that would be a problem. And I've considered a one year retirement visa, & I wouldn't be able to change to that with a visa exempt? Or would a visa exempt work?  

Thank you for all the information, like they'd forward my application to the correct office.

11 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

But what would a visa exempt do to how long I can stay? And now the borders are closed, that would be a problem. And I've considered a one year retirement visa, & I wouldn't be able to change to that with a visa exempt? Or would a visa exempt work?  

A visa exempt entry would allow a 30 entry that can be normally extended for 30 days but it should be 45 days soon since that was approved recently as well. You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration with a visa exempt entry. You would have to do the visa application before  you have less than 15 days remaining on the extension of your entry.

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day your apply for the visa.

There is also a 60 day covid 19 extension available but it is due to expire on January 29th unless they extend the allowance for them again.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa exempt entry would allow a 30 entry that can be normally extended for 30 days but it should be 45 days soon since that was approved recently as well. You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration with a visa exempt entry. You would have to do the visa application before  you have less than 15 days remaining on the extension of your entry.

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day your apply for the visa.

There is also a 60 day covid 19 extension available but it is due to expire on January 29th unless they extend the allowance for them again.

That's more money than I  was quoted; I don't think an agent could get it much lower.   My friend from LA is in Thailand is getting a study visa; maybe that's right for me, too.  Could I still go visa exempt?

BTW. I just bought my ticket!  I still need to get the onward ticket & do all the other paperwork. 

Thank you.

Archived