Is Thailand open now for normal tourists?

Do I have to get a new COE  --  register again, etc. -- or can I 'modify the information in the online system' as an embassy hereabouts suggested?  (I replaced a couple of Eva flights with Qatar ones; got a new ASQ letter, too.)  Thanks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, cubism001 said:

Do I have to get a new COE  --  register again, etc. -- or can I 'modify the information in the online system' as an embassy hereabouts suggested?  (I replaced a couple of Eva flights with Qatar ones; got a new ASQ letter, too.)  Thanks.

The Thai Consulate in LA asked me to update new airline bookings when I had to change flights because of the EVA Air Taipei airport shutdown. They sent me a link to update my COE filing through their web application.

FWIW, my visa arrived today from LA, but I still haven't received my COE, which I expected to receive by email , but no word yet on that from the Consulate.

6 hours ago, cubism001 said:

he countdown begins from my first international flight (in this case, that’s Guayaquil, Ecuador to Florida & onward to BKK.)  Is this correct?  Thanks!

That is correct.

5 hours ago, cubism001 said:

You need to go on the COE website and change your flight numbers and and etc. Then the embassy in Lima will issue a new COE with the correct info on it.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is correct.

You need to go on the COE website and change your flight numbers and and etc. Then the embassy in Lima will issue a new COE with the correct info on it.

How do I do that? I can't get anything but text boxes that I have completed the COE then the COE itself.  Thank you.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:09 PM, Mai mee said:

The Thai Consulate in LA asked me to update new airline bookings when I had to change flights because of the EVA Air Taipei airport shutdown. They sent me a link to update my COE filing through their web application.

FWIW, my visa arrived today from LA, but I still haven't received my COE, which I expected to receive by email , but no word yet on that from the Consulate.

Thank you! I'm sorry this has happened to you. My embassy hasn't given me a link yet.  That's the missing part at this stage.  When is your flight?  This holiday week end is ruthless (imo).

17 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Thank you! I'm sorry this has happened to you. My embassy hasn't given me a link yet.  That's the missing part at this stage.  When is your flight?  This holiday week end is ruthless (imo).

My flight is January 20, so I have a little time to sort things out. My only concern is that the Thai authorities will change the rules again before I can depart. I'm not relaxing for a moment. One can never feel comfortable until he's arrived and cleared ASQ in Thailand. We're not in a stable predictable environment, and it's important to remember who we're dealing with as well.

4 hours ago, Mai mee said:

One can never feel comfortable until he's arrived and cleared ASQ in Thailand. We're not in a stable predictable environment, and it's important to remember who we're dealing with as well.

Things are not going well for me at all: the Thais now say that I can get into the system & make the necessary changes by using my log in information only. I leave at 12 am 1 11 20.  But re who  we're dealing with: at least it's not Trp, the R party, & we'll survive no matter what they throw at us! I wonder how much of all this I can get refunded if I have to stay in Ecuador & not go to Thailand.

15 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Things are not going well for me at all: the Thais now say that I can get into the system & make the necessary changes by using my log in information only. I leave at 12 am 1 11 20.  But re who  we're dealing with: at least it's not Trp, the R party, & we'll survive no matter what they throw at us! I wonder how much of all this I can get refunded if I have to stay in Ecuador & not go to Thailand.

Hopefully you will get your COE very soon. My COE arrived by email today, so the system is working. It is my belief that with the recent holidays, both worldwide and in Thailand, the processing which has to be reviewed by real people had slowed down and things are moving again.

I can't remember if you have received your visa already or not? Have you submitted your final flights to the Thai COE system yet? Or instead are you unable to enter the online COE system and upload your information?

11 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Hopefully you will get your COE very soon. My COE arrived by email today, so the system is working. It is my belief that with the recent holidays, both worldwide and in Thailand, the processing which has to be reviewed by real people had slowed down and things are moving again.

I can't remember if you have received your visa already or not? Have you submitted your final flights to the Thai COE system yet? Or instead are you unable to enter the online COE system and upload your information?

I was going in on a visa exempt, then changing to an ed visa. Now the embassy insists that I can enter the COE system. After an hr I was able to. Press the red edit button, & got a screen blocker: you did not enter your flight info w/in 15 days.' Oh they're moving along now, but not always knowledgeably.  I'm working hard now on improving my lot in life, not pining after what's not working... Thank you for your encouragement. I'm glad things are working for you! I have a friend from LA who really needed this & he's been in Ch Mai for 10 months.  Glad for him, too. There's a slim chance I'll get there, too.

But I'm going to try again. It was sheer hubris, trusting the Lima Thai embassy.  They've really screwed things up now.  The guy I trusted didn't know how to let me put in changes, but didn't tell me for a week.  I'll be lucky if I get a dime back from all I've spent. Now I'll try the LA Embassy.  I dislike SA, just not my cup of tea & don't want to be stuck here any longer. It's not right to give up.

1 hour ago, cubism001 said:

But I'm going to try again. It was sheer hubris, trusting the Lima Thai embassy.  They've really screwed things up now.  The guy I trusted didn't know how to let me put in changes, but didn't tell me for a week.  I'll be lucky if I get a dime back from all I've spent. Now I'll try the LA Embassy.  I dislike SA, just not my cup of tea & don't want to be stuck here any longer. It's not right to give up.

All I know is that if you can get to LA, LA works. The LA consulate works, the airports work, there are all the medical services including 24hr Covid PCR testing, and the system works. I feel so lucky my US home is in the west, because I've seen others experience tremendous difficulties dealing with other embassies and consulates around the US and the world.

Are you sure you cannot get the help you need in SA? Is there someone else you can talk to? Also, I don't recall if you ever said what country you're a citizen of? If not the USA could your home embassy help?

5 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Are you sure you cannot get the help you need in SA? Is there someone else you can talk to? Also, I don't recall if you ever said what country you're a citizen of? If not the USA could your home embassy help?

He is a US citizen but is in Ecuador now and is using the embassy in Lima, Peru.

He may be able to use the consulate in LA if he has a flight out of LAX.

How about this story, from a friend of a friend, about trying to get into Thailand?

I am a frequent visitor to the country. I’ve travelled there some five times a year for the past 15 years. I’m familiar with the airports, immigration, the BTS, Metro etc. Airport workers, immigration officers often say hi to me “oh you’re here again?” etc.
On Dec 8, a "major Thai newspaper" said: “Thailand now open to the whole world”. I said great! I always spend January and March in Thailand, now I can go. There’s only a “few” new restrictions/hoops to jump through.
1. They require a 14-day quarantine period in a choice of what’s called “ASQ” hotels, complete with meals etc.
2. They require a Covid negative test within 72 hours of travel.
3. They require special travel insurance that covers Covid-19.
4. I’ll also need a special tourist visa to stay 60 days.

So, here we go: I start to apply online for the visa but I’m stopped at the space for “ASQ hotel” booking reference number, the insurance policy number and flight details. Now as a seasoned traveller, I am hesitant to purchase a flight ticket for a trip that may or may not take place.
I go online and apply for an ASQ hotel but I’m stopped at the space for “travel insurance policy number” and flight details.
I attempt to apply for the insurance ... but they first want the flight details.
I now book a ticket on Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong, using mileage points. This way the trip is refundable. The trip is scheduled for Dec 30 at 12.05am.
I purchase the insurance for $200 and book the ASQ Hotel with 50% deposit of 30,000 baht.
Now here comes the fun part. On Dec 9, I go online to apply for the visa, see approx 15 screens of questions, including some that cannot be answered. “Person you know in Thailand and their phone and passport number”?
I attempt to call the Thai consulate and continuously get a “this message bank is full” recording. Redial for a few hours, I get a staff member who suggests put the name of the hotel in the space for person you know, and put “none” in the passport space.
Continuing on, I fill in all the blanks and “Submit”.

I don’t receive any email confirmation. I wait until Dec 15, start the phone call marathon to the consulate again to ask them what do I do next. I get the visa staff member who says: “No, you must print out the application.”
“But I already submitted online.” “No, you must print out and send in with your passport.”
“OK, I have a FedEx envelope ready.” “Do not send FedEx, send USPS [United States Postal Service] overnight, with return envelope inside.”
“Ok got it.”

Back to the application, I find out that 1) you can’t recall the previous application, and 2) you can’t redo it either. I have to make a new application with a “different name” (the system rejects any attempt to reapply with the same name) that I will clarify on print-out an one screen page at a time, I print out this application.
On or about page 15, there are four simple “ticks” to check off. I do this and hit next. Oh no, I forgot to print that page! Now I must start all over again, with another “new’ name” and redo all the details page by page and print.
All done, I stack the papers with my passport, and hurry down to the post office. Now it’s Xmas time and the lines at the USPS are akin to Disneyland, Six Flags, or LAX security. Then it hit me! No one said if and how much this application will cost!
I go back home and start the phone call procedure again, then ask how much is this, and were you ever going to tell me this small detail? The staff member says US$40. There’s a pause. I’m waiting for them to tell me how to pay them. “So, how do I do this? Cash, Cheque? Credit Card?”, I ask. “No you must use Post Money Order”.
Back to the post, send it all out. Done! Or so I thought.
Wednesday Dec 16, overnight envelope is received by Thai Consulate at 12 noon. I figured they would look it over, insert the visa and send it right back. I’d have everything within the next couple of days.

Dec 21 (8 days until travel date): I start calling the consulate at 10am, finally reaching someone at 11.45 to inquire as to my status.
“You must print out application.” “I did.”
“No, you send wrong one, go to website and see application download.”
“I’m on the site now, and it’s not there.”
“Wait, I’ll check, where are you now?” “3 hours away by car.”
“OK, not far, you can come today?” “Leaving in 10 minutes, I’ll be there by 3.30.”
3.30pm I arrive and in the lobby is a stack of these one-page applications, not to mention that the information requested on this form is exactly the same as the details on the papers I already sent in. I’m shown to the visa office, the same staff member, all smiles, says “not to worry, I already do it for you”. As he hands me my passport with the visa attached inside, I see the stamped return envelope sitting on the desk. Wait, he could have simply put the passport in the overnight post? OK, whatever.
So, Christmas comes and goes, and now I need a Covid test in the next 3 days. So I’m all set to go ... or so I thought.

(This anecdote has a similar rhythm to Arlo Guthrie’s Alice’s Restaurant.)
Monday, Dec 28, midnight: I get an email from the ASQ Hotel requesting something called “Certificate of entry”? I call and let them know:
“I have this already, it’s called a visa, that’s what a visa is.”
“No, it’s a different form altogether.” “And where does one obtain such a form?”
“You get it at the Thai Consulate.” “The same place I got the visa?” “Yes.”
(Remember, this is the hotel reservations clerk I’m speaking to now.)
“I was just there last week, Any reason why no one there mentioned this ostensibly required document?”
“No.”
“OK, I guess I’ll ring the consulate in the morning and see what happens.”
Now I’m starting to really think that this trip was not going to happen.
Tuesday Dec 29, 9.45am I’m ringing the consulate to inquire about this oversight. They straight away said they would email this to me in 5 minutes, which they did. I sent this back to the hotel (Its now midnight in BKK, and the reservations office is closed).
Tuesday Dec 29, 9pm: I arrive at the airport 3hrs ahead of gate time, of course it’s empty, as there are only 30+ people booked on the flight, which has some 350 seats. The gate agent looks over all of my papers and after 10 minutes asks me for another form, something called “fit to fly”.
“What is that?”
“Fit to fly.”
“Yes, what is that?”
“Special form from a doctor indicating that you are fit to fly.”
(I’m now thinking, I am actually a commercial pilot, but I am not working this trip, I’m not going to physically fly this plane.)
“Wait, that’s what these are.”
“No, that’s Covid test papers.” “Yes, fit to fly.”
“No No No, that says OK, you do not have Covid which is good, but you also need a paper that says you are healthy enough to fly I can see you are healthy but we need this paper that says so”. “So I guess I’m not going then, right?” “No, cannot, so sorry nobody tell you before”.
So, in the end, what did we learn?
1. These procedures are to ensure that anyone who wants to visit Thailand must first prove that they really want to go!
2. A visa, which is in fact an entry document is not the same as a certificate of entry.
3. A negative Covid test is no indication that you are fit to fly.
MODERNA, please make your vaccines available soon!

35 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

1. These procedures are to ensure that anyone who wants to visit Thailand must first prove that they really want to go!
2. A visa, which is in fact an entry document is not the same as a certificate of entry.
3. A negative Covid test is no indication that you are fit to fly.
MODERNA, please make your vaccines available soon!

Being vaccinated does not stop you catching COvID  or spreading CoVID.

so the vaccination will be ADDED to the list of requirements for entry, making everything 1 step harder.

Then the fun  will begin as the  vaccination certificate you were given  won't be in the format they want, so you'll need another vaccination at  a place that issues the certificate they want to see.

easier just to stay home.

Which is what all the authorities/governments really wanted in the first place.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

“So I guess I’m not going then, right?” “No, cannot, so sorry nobody tell you before”.

That's certainly true. The sad part is that the Consulate in LA provides very detailed step by step instructions on their website, and all necessary forms other than the Fit to Fly certificate... The whole process is so convoluted it's difficult EVEN IF you follow their template. There is no room for "winging it". All of the "i's" need to be dotted, and the "t's" crossed.It became clear to me from the very beginning, that any failure along the way was likely to be "serious to fatal".

The correspondents failure to procure a comprehensive list of the required steps, documents, and sequences, (hubris), and to methodically tick off the boxes made all the things he did do...  for naught.

I thought I knew all about the visa system and Thai travel... Nope, not even close, 'cause that was then and this is now, and things ain't like they used to be. This is Covid Panic baby!

And yes, you do have to REALLY want to go, because this ain't easy and the whole thing can blow up in your face at any point. Be diligent, check, read, check again, assume nothing, back up your work... Then submit.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

He is a US citizen but is in Ecuador now and is using the embassy in Lima, Peru.

He may be able to use the consulate in LA if he has a flight out of LAX.

That's out, then. I wonder if Argentina or Brazil would work if Lima can't deal with it? Thanks.

8 hours ago, Mai mee said:

I'm doing the visa exemption, then applying for an Ed visa once I'm in Thailand. That's the current problem: submitting my final flights to the COE system. The Eva flights were stopped so i bought new ones from Qatar but can't get into the system.  The Lima embassy is debating how to do this, if at all.  I didn't know LA functioned so well, with all the covid problems. That's great.  Sounds like you're ready to go on the 20th!

48 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

I'm doing the visa exemption, then applying for an Ed visa once I'm in Thailand. That's the current problem: submitting my final flights to the COE system. The Eva flights were stopped so i bought new ones from Qatar but can't get into the system.  The Lima embassy is debating how to do this, if at all.  I didn't know LA functioned so well, with all the covid problems. That's great.  Sounds like you're ready to go on the 20th!

Unless they change things again in the next two weeks 555 ???? I am taking nothing for granted.

On 1/5/2021 at 12:04 AM, Mai mee said:

Unless they change things again in the next two weeks 555 ???? I am taking nothing for granted.

they'll change 10 times by then...BTW, The Lima embassy sent my new coe today! Thanks to everyone for the dozens of explanations and support!

3 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

they'll change 10 times by then...BTW, The Lima embassy sent my new coe today! Thanks to everyone for the dozens of explanations and support!

Awesome, I know for me it was a huge relief to get the COE in my hands. Now all we have to do is get through the "final 72" with the covid PCR test and the FTF cert.

Ubon Joe

I just got my 2nd COE & depart Ecuador for FLL on Jan 11.  BUT someone just mentioned that my fit to fly & covid test must be done prior to the first international flight before arriving at Bangkok.  not the 1st international flight (from Guayaquil International airport).  Could you please  clarify? Thanks!

54 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

BUT someone just mentioned that my fit to fly & covid test must be done prior to the first international flight before arriving at Bangkok.  not the 1st international flight (from Guayaquil International airport).

This from the COE application site. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

image.png.af17e1c740203df55e36c63b129067b6.png

You need it it before your your flight departs from Ecuador.

10 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Why is there this sudden assurance that the test must be done just prior to arriving in BKK?

That has been required since they stared allowing people to enter the country in March or April.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That has been required since they stared allowing people to enter the country in March or April.

I can't find that requirement anywhere, but the COE instructions say that the test needs to be done within 72 hours of departure. Should I change my flights, my COE, so I can somehow get this done before I land in BKK? I wonder if I could get it done in Doha. That's the closest. 

15 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

I can't find that requirement anywhere, but the COE instructions say that the test needs to be done within 72 hours of departure.

It is shown here on the embassy in the states website. https://thaiembdc.org/visa_tourist_coe/

"4. A Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected, issued no more than 72 hours before departure"

It is also shown on the IATA website. Click on Thailand on the map. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

image.png.eb454647310e3aca3929f8a8471bff9c.png

You need to try and get it before leaving ecuador. They might not allow you to board your flight without it.

You will also need a fit to fly certificate issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is shown here on the embassy in the states website. https://thaiembdc.org/visa_tourist_coe/

"4. A Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected, issued no more than 72 hours before departure"

It is also shown on the IATA website. Click on Thailand on the map. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

image.png.eb454647310e3aca3929f8a8471bff9c.png

You need to try and get it before leaving ecuador. They might not allow you to board your flight without it.

You will also need a fit to fly certificate issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

Thank you for your advice.  I'm ok with the covid test & fit to fly (I've got that lined up here in Cuenca). It's the first embarkation point debate that's made me ...feel like this won't work, at least for now.  some people say that means Guayaquil airport; most others say it means the last American stopping place before landing in Bangkok, and if I don't get that exactly right, BKK immigration won't let me in.

45 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Thank you for your advice.  I'm ok with the covid test & fit to fly (I've got that lined up here in Cuenca). It's the first embarkation point debate that's made me ...feel like this won't work, at least for now.  some people say that means Guayaquil airport; most others say it means the last American stopping place before landing in Bangkok, and if I don't get that exactly right, BKK immigration won't let me in.

It is for the departing flight from where you at when the test is done. That also the first place you need to show the COE.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is for the departing flight from where you at when the test is done. That also the first place you need to show the COE.

Sorry for temporarily being discouraged.

The test has to be done either in Cuenca or Guayaquil, and I can't find anyplace in Guayaquil because of test results take a day or at least several hours.  Same with SFO or anyplace in the US now: they're swamped with people who want to be tested. Since day 1 I've used the COE guidelines so I'd have the results & fit to fly to take onto the airplane in Ecuador. Is that all right, Cuenca or the city where the plane leaves?  Thanks again.

Archived