Govt hits brakes on ‘old car for new car’ proposal

webfact

Govt hits brakes on ‘old car for new car’ proposal

By The Nation

800_52d3b2992f16e95.jpg?v=1606826563

Deputy Prime Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow

The Industry Ministry's proposed “old car for new car” scheme needs more time and discussion before being finalised, Deputy Prime Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow said on Tuesday. He added that the scheme is not ready to be implemented given the lack of clear details.

Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit told Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting that work on the details of the scheme had not been completed.

Government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri said the scheme would be shelved for the foreseeable future to prevent confusion among car buyers and the auto market.

Anucha added that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told the relevant parties to consider the idea carefully.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30398911

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-02

Amazed this is being considered given the "history" of "schemes".

FWIW, I actually thought that the previous scheme was good - full disclosure I benefited - and that a new similar scheme would be good. 

Ideally a massive credit/rebate for electrics would be great too but can't see that happening here anytime soon as it would result in a cage match between PTT and MEA/PEA.

1 hour ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

They be too busy now working out how to store the  extra dead with the new 120kph speed limit.  So 30kph over now be many doing 150 - 160kph.

????????????

I remember from my first trip to Thailand looking down at the speedometer of the taxi at 1:00 am and seeing it bouncing between 130 and 140 kph.  I wondered the driver was somehow inspired by Sterling Moss.  Later I learned that was just the normal for a Thai taxi at that time of night on the tollway between Don Muang and Bangkok.

Edited by HarrySeaman