Thailand hikes price of 5-year visa as foreigners seek COVID haven

webfact

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

A pack of peanuts. And the increase cost of this visa. 

Probably will get a lot of people complaining about it, people who don’t have it, but I doubt the elites will be writing in about it.

It’s actually 55 baht per day. the visa cost increase over 5 years (55 x 365 x 5 = approx 100,000)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bodga said:

thats it  just keep  increasing everything and then wonder why no ones  coming later

Who exactly is wondering why? It seems when some of the TV brain trust  become bewildered, their imaginations become over-.active. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

It’s actually 55 baht per day. the visa cost increase over 5 years (55 x 365 x 5 = approx 100,000)

So in total about 330 Baht/ day, or 10K/month. Include a decent health insurance and make that payable monthly, and we have a deal!

I will just stick with my yearly retirement extensions @14,000 Baht per year (using an agent). I am lucky as I don't have to keep 800,000 Baht in the bank, as I can still get the income verification letter from the Canadian Embassy.

• Like 1

Can you get the 20 year SE for 1 mill if you are a new member?

I have 2 friends thats currently on the 5 year elite visa for 500K, and they both have plans to renew it. 

I asked why didnt you get the SE 20 year one for 1 mil? They claim its not possible do get one from scratch, it can only be obtained after you have done a 5 year EA membership? I disagree. Which is it?

I've been finding great enjoyment when the hospitality industry posts these packages claiming huge savings to stay or take part in what they have to promote, only to discover some clever consumer post a screen shot of the same Resort or package offered only a year ago, at half the price presented currently.

No saving at all, in fact just more price gouging, which is fine, just don't post that the boarder need to be opened or the locals will starve. They remind us endlessly that they not need us here, and to simply go back home. The problems is some of us mistakenly bought into the kindness trap, and sold everything to come here, only to discover the huge mistake we made in doing so. Then some clever lady pretended to love and care about us long enough to have children, only to take everything from us. Our mistake, yes I know. Now they want to disguise their motivation once again, in pretending they need tourism, when at least they have the ability to open their schools and businesses, while other parts of the world, which also have their boarder closed, are in lockdown or virtually locked down, and have very little way to make a living within these conditions. Thailand meanwhile thinks that when they do open their boarders, who are the first they want to invite back? The same society which gave us the gift that just keeps giving us more pain. If Thailand really wanted to open their boarders to a safe, secure population, why not consider South Korea, who actually did the best in controlling this pandemic. No, because they look for who they believe to have the deepest pockets, when basically even if they opened the boarder wide and proud, who would really want to travel here or travel much of anywhere for that matter, at this time. There was not much in the way of bargains left to be enjoyed here before the pandemic, you had to look hard to find them and you certainly had to be willing to sacrifice comforts or service to receive those so called savings. If anything went sideways, give it up that you would be protected in anyway, it would just be your loss, and asked to move along quietly now. Now with the appearance which they have worked so very hard to present as being the Pandemic safe heaven, it's time to give the foreigners here the hardest time possible in processing the visas or for that matter renewing them, and if you're willing to pay, then pay you shall; as much as they can get. If you not like, well we all know the words to their favorite song...Go back home!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Thai gov't again revealing its black hearted contempt for farang. Jai dam. 

I did not see any mention in the article of this being directed specifically at farangs.
If you read the article you should have noticed the following:
'Residency program aims for profit in 2 years on surge of Chinese applicants'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KeeTua said:

I did not see any mention in the article of this being directed specifically at farangs.
If you read the article you should have noticed the following:
'Residency program aims for profit in 2 years on surge of Chinese applicants'

I'll make a bold prediction that this scheme will never be in profit in 5 years let alone 2. 

5 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

A pack of peanuts. And the increase cost of this visa. 

Probably will get a lot of people complaining about it, people who don’t have it, but I doubt the elites will be writing in about it.

A pack of peanuts is 10 baht at 7/11

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I also wonder how a company that does nothing but issue visas can lose over half a billion Baht in a 12-month period! What overheads could possibly lead to those amounts of losses.

You have NO IDEA how expensive those plastic cards have become...

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ItoroK said:

How can you run a loss on selling a simple plastic card and some stamps for 15000$ a piece? Let that sink in

I thought the same thing, how can you loose money selling something that costs next to nothing to make ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stigar said:

My thaiwife will relocate to norway..dont cost her much to get here.When she get her visa she can start work or make her own company same day.Thailand just want our money.Seems desperate to me.Im sick and tired of this country now.Thailand is just a short holiday for me.

Its the same in reverse, if you are married to a Thai you can come to Thailand and start work/company the same day, visa/extension costs 2,000 baht. There is no difference