Interior Ministry to use straw bales to reduce air pollution created by crop burning

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Help me someone, this seems to make sense - what's the catch?

Interior Ministry to use straw bales to reduce air pollution created by crop burning By THE NATION     The Interior Ministry has signed a memorandum of understanding with Siam

Rice straw bales can also be effective wall materials for buildings.  I used them to construct a smallish bungalow style house about 7 years ago.  The render is red clay and sand mix.  It withstood th

7 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Help me someone, this seems to make sense - what's the catch?

selected farmers in Ayutthaya

In other words no requirement to use or buy such machines - a limited number to be provided to selected farmers in one district of one province of the country (which Google can not even find).

• Like 2

It's taken long enough to get to something that sounds like it might have a chance of lessening the smoke, let's keep our fingers crossed that Kubota and the local Powers That Be are able to provide the support necessary support to keep a scheme like this running.  Timely maintenance of the machinery and people on hand to prevent farmers taking the easy way out will be essential.

I understood that the machines were on loan, surely requiring farmers to buy them would be the kiss of death to the idea which is a pilot in my view.  If it works then money from SCG and a contribution from Kubota's PR or advertising budget should be well on the way to providing machines to local co-ops who could take care of their own areas.

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

Rice straw bales can also be effective wall materials for buildings. 

What about the insect and rodent problem did you use some chemical treatment of the straw ?

Whatever they provide will be a drop in the ocean... the equipment either won't work, or the farmers won't know how to work it, or if there are maintenance problems who will solve them?....just burnt stubble....... it is so easy.

Also, the vast majority of the pollution seems to come from sugar cane burning not rice.

Sticking plaster at best.....waste of time and money at worse.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, johng said:

At long last some  positive action that may actually make a difference  👍

It means that someone has realised there is money to be made out of doing something; otherwise nothing would continue to be done !

• Like 1