Thailand is set to dominate Southeast Asia’s IPO market in 2020, says Deloitte

From a CNBC article

Thailand is set to dominate Southeast Asia’s IPO market in 2020, says Deloitte

SINGAPORE — Thailand has dominated Southeast Asia’s initial public offering market so far this year, contributing more than 60% of total funds raised in the region, according to data by audit and consulting firm, Deloitte.

Thailand recorded 23 IPO launches from the start of the year to Nov. 15 — down from 34 for the whole of 2019, data by Deloitte showed. But funds raised so far in 2020 totaled around $3.94 billion, exceeding last year’s roughly $3 billion, according to Deloitte.

The consultancy studied IPO trends in six major Southeast Asian stock markets: Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.  

As opposed to many, I think Thailand and the SET are potentially very good investments for the future.

This place is way down now and that is a good time to invest.

We will see I do not think Thailand will ever meet its full potential, but still are some good future opportunities here.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

This place is way down now and that is a good time to invest.

Thailand is no where near the bottom of the market.  

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not think Thailand will ever meet its full potential,

Thus, if your money is invested here, your money will never reach its full potential either.  

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Thus, if your money is invested here, your money will never reach its full potential either.

Ha.  You don't invest in an entire economy..

No economy due to various factors ever really reaches its full potential.

But, certain areas of it can/will and that is what your investments should be focused on.

On 12/3/2020 at 5:42 AM, bkk6060 said:

You don't invest in an entire economy..

True.

However, you invest in a stock market that reflects the confidence in that country's economy.

Would you invest in Thailand, particularly with the current government?   

Here's a link to the article if anyone's interested: Thailand is set to dominate Southeast Asia’s IPO market in 2020, says Deloitte

I looked it up to find a list of the companies. Seems Thailand is strong on manufacturing and retail IPOs, while Singapore is growing more on REITs and tech.

The companies aren't sexy, but if they can produce good returns, and COVID goes away someday, these investments might turn out ok.