A bottle of Wine a day keeps the doctor away....or does it?

WineOh

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Drinking wine in moderation with meals can't be fatal or the French would have died out long ago.

They did, figuratively. They just can't accept that they've been surpassed by the English speaking world.

A votre sante.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tyler Visan said:

Its the number of UNITS OF ALCOHOL that matter. In UK now it is 14 per week recommended for both men & women. Does a bottle of wine or spirit not say how many units inside?

Not sure I believe anything the UK government say, claim or recommend anymore.
But I do agree with your point.

• Like 1

Don't be tuupid.  Drinking heavy amounts of alcohol over a long period of time decreases brain volume, according to scientific research that was presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 59th Annual Meeting in Boston, April 28 -- May 5, 2007. The study found the more alcohol people drink on a regular basis, the lower their brain volume.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I drink purely to relax.

mate, I hope you enjoy it as well. I averaged a bottle of red per day for 30 years and the legs are still kicking so you should be okay. When I started drinking 2 bottles every day I thought it was time to go back to one but the stuff is so good. I did not drink during working hours so my bottles went down quickly compared to you. Only gave it up when I moved to a hot climate 10 years ago. Have never liked warm wine or beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tyler Visan said:

Its the number of UNITS OF ALCOHOL that matter. In UK now it is 14 per week recommended for both men & women. Does a bottle of wine or spirit not say how many units inside?

Obviously 1 bottle = 1 unit. ???? 

14 per week sounds acceptable - at least for men.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

Well no...  Your liver performs many functions and an important one is to isolate any toxins, prior to them being expelled from your body.  Dealing with toxins, such as alcohol is what the liver does all the time.  The problems arise when the level of alcohol is too much for the liver to perform its normal function correctly.  (All this with my scientist hat on...)

You'd argue the same about smoke in your lungs.

And you're wrong.

6 hours ago, JohnB1945 said:

All reputable large scale studies show moderate drinking (1 to 4 drinks a day) increases your life expectancy. By reputable I mean studies carried out to determine the truth, not to prove an agenda! See https://www.alcoholproblemsandsolutions.org/drinkers-live-longer/.

A bottle (75 cl ) a day is about at the top of the moderate range. Red wine is especially good for you. If you can afford it at the ludicrous Thai prices for drinkable wine then keep doing it!

Well I am not in Thailand anymore I buy 5 liters of wine for 320 baht and I love it.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2020 at 2:03 PM, Tyler Visan said:

Most 750 ml bottles of wine will have between 8 and 10 units depending on the abv.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 1:15 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Since february I also have been on a bottle of red a day I look in my recycle bin every second wednesday for my tally and this fortnight it is 9 so must be cutting down though it could be on the rise again since finding a very acceptable 13% £3.99 Asda red ????

Where is that Asda in Bangkok please?

15 hours ago, JimGant said:

....or run slower. Rationalize your behavior to enjoy all the competing aspects of it.

Oh dear. Being forced to run slower (and that's not the only thing that happens to me. Athletes tend to be very conscious of what's happening to their bodies) means that I am not well. I had a beer last night. Today is a rest day. THAT'S rational behaviour, up to a point.

10 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not a fact at all

It was one definition from a site dealing with alcoholism on the internet and most others refer to this and similar, esp with the effects that alcoholism (no longer called that) has on behaviour...

"The results highlighted a vicious cycle where alcoholism contributes to harmful personality changes, which in turn leads to increased alcohol consumption. The negative impact alcoholism has on one’s personality is attributed to alcohol-induced changes to the brain".

"Recent studies have shown that alcoholism does in fact have harmful effects on your personality and behaviors".

Edited by xylophone

Re the OP:  More likely to keep you away from the doctor if you are living here in Thailand.  With barely drinkable "wine" at 350 baht a bottle, you're talking almost 130,000 baht a year which at least in my case would squeeze the budget for hospital visits.