Using a Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand.

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any experience using their Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand?

For either renting a car or motorbike or having been stopped by the police....

It's been surprisingly difficult to find accurate information on it.

Has anyone ever used it in the U.S, Canada, or Mexico?

Thank you

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your handle perfectly describes your comment, which is absolute nonsense.    The truth is, any foreign license in English is acceptable for driving in North America. It helps if it's accompa

If the OP doesn't have a Thai driving license yet, the first one he will qualify for will have 1-year validity. This is considered as a 'provisonal' license and is not accepted as a full-license by ca

I have rented cars in Europe on a Thai license. (5yr). I did some research into this a few years ago since im unable to get a license from passport country due to non-residence. Most countri

I asked  that question  a long time back and the answer is that a driving licence or  international driving permit is required to be issued from the country of nationality in your passport if and where it  is accepted as valid for short term use, and not from a country other than your original nationality. Unless  you have  dual and Thai passport to match Thai diving licence.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
7 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Your handle perfectly describes your comment, which is absolute nonsense. 

The truth is, any foreign license in English is acceptable for driving in North America. It helps if it's accompanied by an international driving permit (IDP) but isn't absolutely necessary. There are millions of people around the world who possess a license issued by a state they are resident in, but not necessarily a citizen of. It is absurd to suggest that you have to possess a license from a particular country to match your nationality.

Complete misinformation. No country in the world demands that. 

Really?

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

• Confused 1

Has anyone used a Thai licence and been able to use a debit card rather than a credit card? 

Last time in the UK I could use my UK licence /debit card but they wanted proof of address /bills which will be impossible next time.

Does anyone know how to rent a car without credit card?