Using a Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand.

HappyFalang

28 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I don't really understand all the fuss about IDP. If you live in Thailand, and travel outside Thailand, you use your Thai Driver's Licence, as others have stated. My British Driver's Licence still sits in a drawer, I keep it for sentimental reasons, not sure why, but I believe Swansea expect it to be returned if it is invalidated by the fact you no longer reside in the UK, not that that is enforceable in any way. If, in the unlikely event I were to visit the UK in the future, I would use my Thai DL if I got pulled over by the police, and indeed, I believe this is the way it's supposed to be.

This is correct in the UK, if you are non-resident in the UK, then technically it is illegal to drive using a UK license, this is to do with the authorities being able to issue summons etc. to an address, you can use a Thai license for up to one year in the UK.

If there is doubt, some rental companies will carry out an address check to see if the UK license address tallies with publicly available records.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If the OP doesn't have a Thai driving license yet, the first one he will qualify for will have 1-year validity. This is considered as a 'provisonal' license and is not accepted as a full-license by car rental agencies in the UK or US. After this 1-year license is renewed, it will have 5-year validity, is considered a full license and will be accepted by car rental agencies in the UK and US.

new licences are for two years, been this way since, but you still need the five year for outside of Thailand

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

I've used Thai DL to rent cars in UK uneventfully for last 10 years + from mostly Hertz/Avis/Budget/Enterprise. One benefit of using it is that it may mean traffic tickets get written off [I got one for speeding; when I followed up on it I was told it had been cancelled because my license was foreign].

I've also used Thai DL to rent in US and Italy.

I got a parking ticket in Italy. Ignored it and Euro Cars banned me fornotpaying. No biggie. Lots of other agencies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If the OP doesn't have a Thai driving license yet, the first one he will qualify for will have 1-year validity. This is considered as a 'provisonal' license and is not accepted as a full-license by car rental agencies in the UK or US. After this 1-year license is renewed, it will have 5-year validity, is considered a full license and will be accepted by car rental agencies in the UK and US.

2 year and 5 year 

49 minutes ago, Thai Dan said:

I'm a U.S. citizen by birth and have used my Thai driver's license on every trip home.  Rental car agencies don't bat an eye and neither do the police.  It is accepted nationwide.

5 year or 2 year license ?

5 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Also, as far as i could research at the time  even a 2yr license will work in Europe. I know you can not get a Thai IDP on it, but I could not find any info it would not be valid in the EU. As long as its in english translation, which all Thai licenses issued within the last 10-15 years have.

So you can’t get a IDP on a 2 year correct ? Thx 

6 hours ago, HappyFalang said:

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any experience using their Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand?

For either renting a car or motorbike or having been stopped by the police....

It's been surprisingly difficult to find accurate information on it.

Has anyone ever used it in the U.S, Canada, or Mexico?

Thank you

I have a 5 year Thai driving license. I have hired cars in both UK and USA with it. No problem at all. All the large car rental companies are used to seeing foreign licenses, all totally routine. All they require is your license and your passport. They may ask for a local contact address and phone number. No need for IDP. 

6 hours ago, HappyFalang said:

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any experience using their Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand?

Thank you

While I used and had only my Thai Driver’s License for my two trips in 2013 and 2015, I do not recall being stopped by police. I did have to produce the Driver’s License in the USA and the Czech Republic when I rented cars in those two countries. In Europe drove in CZ, Austria, Germany.

4 hours ago, Brightonman said:

Has anyone used a Thai licence and been able to use a debit card rather than a credit card? 

Last time in the UK I could use my UK licence /debit card but they wanted proof of address /bills which will be impossible next time.

Does anyone know how to rent a car without credit card? 

Some car rental companies do prefer a credit card (Hertz and Avis). I have used Enterprise in both UK and USA, and they are quite happy to accept payment with a Debit Card. Every time I have rented a car in UK and USA from Enterprise I have used my Thai driving license and paid with a debit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

So you can’t get a IDP on a 2 year correct ? Thx 

Nope. I have tried in 2 provinces. I lost my 5 year license a while back due to visa issues. When i renewed i had to settle for a 2 year???? and they would not give me an IDP.

That said, an IDP is not so important anymore. Few countries require it.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

1st time license is good for 2 years not 1 NanLaew

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I asked  that question  a long time back and the answer is that a driving licence or  international driving permit is required to be issued from the country of nationality in your passport if and where it  is accepted as valid for short term use, and not from a country other than your original nationality. Unless  you have  dual and Thai passport to match Thai diving licence.

wrong

• Like 2

Two years ago was legal in Canada including no issues with rentals with my Thai licence and an IDP from Thailand.  Would have used my British Columbia licence but it had expired.

Doubt they will rent to you unless you have both but I didn’t try.  

IDP only issued at certain places (Chonburi not Pattaya - Bang Lamung -  motor vehicle office in my case).  

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I've used Thai DL to rent cars in UK uneventfully for last 10 years + from mostly Hertz/Avis/Budget/Enterprise. One benefit of using it is that it may mean traffic tickets get written off [I got one for speeding; when I followed up on it I was told it had been cancelled because my license was foreign].

I've also used Thai DL to rent in US and Italy.

Happened to me in Australia; I got a ticket for parking while facing the wrong direction and never had to pay it. 

26 minutes ago, surfinglife said:

Yes, usually no problem renting a car but without IDP to accompany your licence the insurance will be null and void.

Only if requiring an IDP is stipulated in the terms of the policy.

• Like 1

How interesting it is that so many  describe how easy it is in terms of  rentals etc.

Perhaps would be interesting to know if any have had the experience of  an accident and how that went?

It would otherwise  seem that  rental companies outside of Thailand are little different anywhere inside Thailand when  renting such as  motorcycles  to  unlicensed  tourists but those Thai business  come in for a lashing !

Stupid much !

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It would otherwise  seem that  rental companies outside of Thailand are little different anywhere inside Thailand when  renting such as  motorcycles  to  unlicensed  tourists but those Thai business  come in for a lashing !

Apples and oranges:

• Renting a car with a valid Thai licence not an issue
  • Renting a bike without a valid bike licence is an issue

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

How interesting it is that so many  describe how easy it is in terms of  rentals etc.

Perhaps would be interesting to know if any have had the experience of  an accident and how that went?

Stupid much !

Prior to moving to Thailand I rented a car with my US license and no IDP.  I had an accident, I called the rental company they said no problem someone will come to me. They sent out the insurance guy, he told me he would take care of everything and I could leave. The police never talked to me, nobody asked to see my license. The insurance guy handle the police, towing, etc. 

8 hours ago, Brightonman said:

Has anyone used a Thai licence and been able to use a debit card rather than a credit card? 

Last time in the UK I could use my UK licence /debit card but they wanted proof of address /bills which will be impossible next time.

Does anyone know how to rent a car without credit card? 

Try Easirent at Heathrow Airport. I use them every time I go back to UK. Expensive but always accept Thai Debit card.

• Thanks 1

Many people are Domiciled in Thailand for work, careers, whatever....Ergo: We are not able to renew DL's from homeland, provinces or States. 

You're Thai Drivers license (and if need be, your resident card) the vehicles insurance and registration is all thats required driving in The America's. 

From Canada to Chile, and every country in between. Boarder crossings of course will require passports. 

I have also used my Thai Drivers license in Europe: Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium and The Nederlands. 

No problems with Car rentals. Hotels or Police and Traffic Stops.

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

IDP for 500 baht, for many years also in all provinces. 

IDP is only valid for 12 months and only valid if you are on a tourist visa (or similar). Non Imm O or anything long - term, a valid Thai licence is required by law. 

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver licence.
The driver must carry the driver licence and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.
This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.
In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.
Section 42-2

In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.

Once you obtain a non-immigrant visa or establish you are a resident and are no longer a tourist, you need a Thai drivers licence as your national license and international driving permit is only legally accepted if you are a tourist. Several insurance companies have  fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As far as I know the "temporary license " is , since quite a few years already, 2 years , not 1 , You can only get a IDP upon obtaining the 5 year one. Concerning Europe you can drive without any problems with a Th "IDP" . The Th "IDP" is always valid 1 year.

21 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I asked  that question  a long time back and the answer is that a driving licence or  international driving permit is required to be issued from the country of nationality in your passport if and where it  is accepted as valid for short term use, and not from a country other than your original nationality. Unless  you have  dual and Thai passport to match Thai diving licence.

I've hired cars at Heathrow in the UK using an Abu Dhabi and Thai driving license in the past. I only have a British passport. No international driver's permit; just the licenses.

23 hours ago, HappyFalang said:

Hello everyone!

Thank you

Canadian citizen and passport holder.

I work in O&G all over the world. I have rented cars using only my thai driver license in, Canada, USA, Australia, UK. 

No problems, as long as the relevant details are in English they'll accept it

• Like 1