Using a Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand.

HappyFalang

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 6:21 PM, Ireland32 said:

So you can’t get a IDP on a 2 year correct ? Thx 

You do not need a IDP. That is an old document that used to accompany non-English licenses.  Thai Driver's Licenses have sufficient English, both the 2 and 5 year varieties, and are completely useable by themselves across America.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:39 AM, Yellowtail said:

I have booked rental cars in the US using my Thai license, and used it to pick them up.

I think my State of Virgina in the U.S. allows one to drive for 6 months before a local license is required.  So my lifetime Thai motorbike license is no good since I came back 40 years ago.  It's all in Thai anyway. 

23 hours ago, Histavia said:

You may find that if you use it in your home country, you are braking the law.

I believe you would only be breaking the law in your home country it you used your Thai license while holding a valid license issued by your home county. If you only held a Thai license I think you are operating within the law. 

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I believe you would only be breaking the law in your home country it you used your Thai license while holding a valid license issued by your home county. If you only held a Thai license I think you are operating within the law. 

I think that would be totally wrong..... and it would be stupidity to cancel your home licence and enjoy gaining it again....  I flew back mainly just to update my photo requirment after 10 years....  (never mind I cant see much anymore, stuipid laws.. do you think I should tell them? lol)  

Just now, Seeall said:

I think that would be totally wrong..... and it would be stupidity to cancel your home licence and enjoy gaining it again....  I flew back mainly just to update my photo requirment after 10 years....  (never mind I cant see much anymore, stuipid laws.. do you think I should tell them? lol)  

However, may I add, even though "legally" I can use my Thai Licence back home, I choose not to have any grief arguing with some small town cop and keep a Thai issued IDL ready ...

16 hours ago, Seeall said:

This year was the first time in twenty years I was going to have to go in. I got the notice, but due to covid when I went to book an appointment they had changed it such that I could (again) renew online.