18 found Covid-19 positive in quarantine

webfact

18 found positive in quarantine

By The Nation

800_7abe0040be5a6e1.jpg?v=1606887704

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Wednesday reported 18 new cases in quarantine over a 24-hour period.

Most of the new cases are asymptomatic Thais who returned from abroad:

> A Thai woman, 56, travelled back from Turkey and went into alternative state quarantine in Samut Prakan on November 17. She was found positive on November 22.

> A Thai male construction worker, 53, returned from Kuwait on November 17 and entered hotel quarantine in Chon Buri. He tested positive on November 20.

> A Thai woman, 24, returned from Germany on November 19 and went into hotel quarantine in Bangkok. She was found positive on November 30.

> A male Egyptian language teacher, 44, arrived on November 24 and entered hotel quarantine in Samut Prakan. He tested positive on November 29.

> A Thai man, 31, returned from Israel on November 25 and went into hotel quarantine in Bangkok. He was found positive on November 30.

> A Thai man, 24, and a Thai female farmer, 29, flew back from Japan on November 25 and entered hotel quarantine in Chon Buri. Both tested positive on November 29.

> A Thai woman, 32, flew back from Sweden on November 26 and went into hotel quarantine in Bangkok. She was found positive on November 30.

> A Sudanese woman, 57, arrived on November 30 and entered alternative hospital quarantine in Bangkok. She tested positive the same day.

> Five Thais – one man (aged 31) and four women (27, 56, 56, 66) travelled from Switzerland on November 25. All went into state quarantine in Chon Buri and were found positive on November 29.

> A Thai man, 69, returned from the United States on November 29 and entered hotel quarantine in Bangkok. He tested positive the next day (November 30).

> A Thai woman, 43, and a man, 44, returned from Myanmar on November 24 and went into hotel quarantine in Bangkok. They were found positive around November 28-29.

> And a Thai woman, 25, who worked in an entertainment venue in Myanmar and entered Thailand illegally via the natural border. She admitted to entering the country on November 26. She contacted health officers for a test on November 28 and was found positive on November 30. She was taken to hospital in Chiang Rai.

Meanwhile, 11 patients have recovered and been discharged.

As of Wednesday, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand has increased to 4,026 (1061 in state quarantine). Of these, 144 are in hospital and 3,822 have recovered and been discharged. The death toll remains at 60.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am the number of confirmed global cases has reached 64.19 million (increasing by 576,938 in 24 hours).

Of these, 44.43 million have recovered, while 18.27 million are active cases (106,030 in severe condition) and 1.49 million have died (an increase of 11,887).

Thailand ranks a safe 151st for most cases in the world, while the US has the most number, with 14.1 million, followed by India (9.5 million), Brazil (6.39 million), Russia (2.32 million) and France (2.23 million).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398954

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-02

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My first thoughts:

- Did most/all of these people have any tests before departure for Thailand.

And/or did they need/present a CEO document at check-in before boarding?

- Does this mean the aircraft (in fact many aircraft) are not being cleaned properly before passengers board? 

They are not required to have a covid test  before returning to Thailand. 

And, as stated in the OP, most were asymptomatic so they did not even know that they were infected. This is not unusual as in the majority of cases elsewhere in the world, people with covid are either asymptomatic or only very slightly affected by this virus.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A Thai woman, 24, returned from Germany on November 19 and went into hotel quarantine in Bangkok. She was found positive on November 30.

The incubation period for COVID is anything from just a few days to a couple of weeks at a stretch, nearly everyone will get it within the first week. The above case suggests to me that it was caught either on the flight or after arrival.

I know of people who've caught COVID and developed symptoms within just a few days. They also mostly recovered pretty quickly.

If you plotted out a bell curve, the top half of it would be well inside the 5 day time frame based on one of the studies I've read.

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Did most/all of these people have any tests before departure for Thailand.

Certainly none of the Thais on board the plane were tested, Thai people are special in this respect, but not that special as they can still contract COVID simply by breathing it in.

It was time to begin testing people before they board the flights months ago - how long until people start dying after contracting COVID on the flight? Even then, will they do anything?

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

I still go back to my question I asked a month or so ago concerning Quarantine hotels .

Who cleans all the rooms , are they wearing different PPE from cleaning one room to another ?

Could the cleaners be carrying the virus on their clothes/gloves .

• Like 1

And this shows the massive fault in not making Thais take a PCR test before flying and them only needing a fit to fly certificate before getting on a plane !! Yet all non Thais are made to take the test within 72 hrs . 
The government say it’s all for the good of the country and keeping Covid out etc , but this clearly proves it is not true and it is to charge foreigners for ASQ etc otherwise they would make all people entering the country take a PCR test before flying !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

My first thoughts:

- Does this mean the aircraft (in fact many aircraft) are not being cleaned properly before passengers board? 

Thais don't need a COVID test.

I think everyine needs a CoE and FtF certs,

No. Both foreign and Thai pax are the source of the infections.

They may have to slow the influx of passengers, do some more random testing throughout the country and plan for a two-week lockdown, at least in some areas/provinces.

The numbers are creeping up, was averaging ~ 5 per day, now inching towards twenty. Would be nice to know the total number of inbound pax.

Seems like they've got a problem on their hands. Time for anutin to dust off his medical costume and get back to work.

4 hours ago, oompie69 said:

They are not required to have a covid test  before returning to Thailand. 

And, as stated in the OP, most were asymptomatic so they did not even know that they were infected. This is not unusual as in the majority of cases elsewhere in the world, people with covid are either asymptomatic or only very slightly affected by this virus.

Thank god for quarantine... and for those who say lets delete it.. plain stupidity.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Does this mean the aircraft (in fact many aircraft) are not being cleaned properly before passengers board? 

Not many farangs flying in r testing positive, and there are many now, so I would say no. The aircraft are probably being cleaned exceptionally well to attract more passengers.

There is absolutely no logic to requiring non Thais to take a test before boarding and then cram them in with hundreds (40000 in total to date) of untested Thais and then quarantining them all together in Thailand! What is the problem with testing them all BEFORE they get on a plane or cross the border! Currently non Thais travelling to Thailand are almost guaranteed to contract Wuflu when traveling!

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

My first thoughts:

I think I can answer your questions based on my own experience after taking 3 different Covid Tests:

1) the test comes at a cost of appr. 150 USD (which is prohibitive for the most people)

2) the test is somewhat difficult to obtain: only at certain locations, valid for only 48 hours while the lab will need 24 hours for the results (which  makes it prohibitive to depend on it, when you have arranged so many things at your own cost in advance)

3) the result comes as a PDF which is easily altered and edited. No stamp or signature. No distinct form, every lab has its own format (which makes it very profitable to provide such documents for 10USD at any road or copy shop all over the world)

There is NO WAY to verify a Covid Test document. They take just any sheet of paper.

At the Thai Immigration, they pulled my 9 month old German Covid Test and accepted it (although I flew in from Africa). After telling them in Thai, that this is the wrong paper and it is old and there was a recent test, they just responded it would not matter and stamped me through.