Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK

anchadian

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55145696

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for widespread use.

British regulator, the MHRA, says the jab, which offers up to 95% protection against Covid-19 illness, is safe for roll out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

we can but hope that this is the beginning of the end for those of us stuck in the UK away from our families currently and that a passport stamp will negate a hoopy entry

Do you mean a happy, non-hoopy entry?   LOL

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Patts said:

Apart from the 43000 people that took part in the phase 3 trial, approximately half of which received the vaccine and none developed severe Covid nor serious side effects. 

Details, details..........

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

we can but hope that this is the beginning of the end for those of us stuck in the UK away from our families currently and that a passport stamp will negate a hoopy entry

But a " Hoopy " entry for those wanting to come back to Thailand will not generate any Money for the Authorities.

Nothing will change yet, although they want Tourists back.

The Tourists they want back, are not Europeans, the ones they really want hail from China, and you will be placed on the back burner.

I still wish you well.

8 minutes ago, sakoo said:

MHRA is funded by Bill Gates foundation. No surprise that it would endorse vaccine roll out. As if people even know what is inside this vaccine. For all you know it has aborted fetal tissue from all those abortions. Ask the officials for a full ingredient list and see if they will even acknowledge your question as valid. 

As a government trading fund, the Agency is funded mostly by income from fee-charging activities. Income from fee-generating activities in 2019/20 was £104.6m, which was £13.2m lower than in 2018/19 primarily as a result of a reduction in revenue from centralised (EMA-managed) as well as decentralised (EU-member states led) marketing authorisations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr mr said:

i challenge boris and the british govt. show your strength and line up in front of a bbc live broadcast and every single politician takes the shot first. 

be the leaders you were elected to be.......lead by example.

Hancock is taking it live on tv

The UK is not really going to be a test guinee pig, if you look at the finer details and ignore the 'hype'. It's only going to give the vaccine to a small number of old aged people in care homes first. 

For this age specific group (over 80s) the positives outweigh any negatives with the vaccine. 

Questions still need to be asked - how long will the vaccine give you immunisation for ? Will you also get a choice of what vaccine you can take? 

13 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

The UK is not really going to be a test guinee pig, if you look at the finer details and ignore the 'hype'. It's only going to give the vaccine to a small number of old aged people in care homes first. 

For this age specific group (over 80s) the positives outweigh any negatives with the vaccine. 

Questions still need to be asked - how long will the vaccine give you immunisation for ? Will you also get a choice of what vaccine you can take? 

Indeed, and it looks like the care home residents won't get it quickly either (even though they are the ones that most need it):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/02/uk-care-home-residents-to-miss-out-on-first-wave-of-covid-vaccinations

It's going to be very difficult to provide mass inoculation using the Pfizer vaccine.  Essentially you need to bring the people to the vaccine, initially anyway.  I'm sure they'll find a way in time though.

Providing the Oxford vaccine does perform to flu jab standards (it looks that way) then it is a much better option.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, EdrigoSalvadore said:

This is truly amazing. I am waiting every day for Thai Government to release news that a vaccination proof is all you need to visit Thailand.

they'd probably still require a quarantine, which is the new money maker to replace visa runs

It's a tribute to the fair-minded Brits that they simply and honestly evaluated the worth of a competitor vaccine without bias.  All the more so when one considers that their own perfectly good vaccine has been so unfairly pilloried in the USA to the point that it could never be used there, even though it is sorely needed for mass inoculation.  The sclerotic EU has also admirably displayed why it was impossible for a progressive nation such as the UK to remain one of its members.

On 12/2/2020 at 6:05 PM, samsensam said:

hardly, 43,00 people worldwide were involved in the stage 3 trial

I don't know how long they been in phase 3, but in general 6 months are enough to discover most long term side effects in regular vaccines, so I assume they would have found any serious sideeffeces by now. 

I'm more interested in finding out how long their vaccine works compared to Modernas. 

I'm getting a shot when I can, but will take a while before I'm able to get one. 

Not in any risk group so I have to wait. 

If I'm lucky I'm looking at July/August 2021 which could end up ruining my Thailand trip if vaccine requirement is a must have to fly. 

Sucks that I just can't buy one on the private market, but overall it makes sense to prioritize the doses. 

I probably want Pfizer or Moderna , but in the meantime I can sit back and watch the progress in UK. 

It will be interesting to see the data for covid 19 cases for Dec, Jan, Feb in UK.

Hopefully they will see a rapidly decline in deaths and people submitted to hospitals in mid January start February. 

It's going to take a while before supply can keep up with demand.

If we want to vaccinate half the planet we're looking at 8 billion doses worldwide and Pfizer hope to produce 1 billion in 2021, Moderna between 500 mill - 1 billion, so the rest of the companies are going to be busy as well.

Lot of money to be made from this situation if you invest in the right companies. 

Meanwhile Pfizer will only deliver 50 rather than 100 million doses this year due to slow ramp up and later than expected results of phase III trials https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-pfizer-halves-vaccine-supply-estimate/a-55818736. In the UK this means that most NHS staff will probably not be eligible for early vaccination due to vaccine shortages with shots now going to  care home staff and those over 80.