What’s your favourite Christmas song?

webfact

On 12/3/2020 at 7:14 AM, jonga80 said:

My favorite christmas song, no doubt. I love The Pogues! Shane McGowan is a genious, or at least he was. Now there is a documental about him produced for Johnny Depp and directed by Julien Temple, I want to watch, in San Sebastian film festival won the audience award.

Now this lyrics are censored in the BBC.

I put the video:

My cousins in London used to jam on a Sunday afternoon with some of the pogues in Willesden London.

Not sure if Shane never managed to get there.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

My cousins in London used to jam on a Sunday afternoon with some of the pogues in Willesden London.

Not sure if Shane never managed to get there.

I have watched this weekend the documentary about Shane MacGowan and it's a <deleted>in' masterpiece. I love this man and I love The Pogues, I think Shane is one of the best songwriters ever. And I would love to drink some beers with some of this guys.

Now it's possible to rent the movie but only in USA, I made it with a VPN connected to USA. This is the trailer:

Edited by jonga80
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonga80 said:

I have watched this weekend the documentary about Shane MacGowan and it's a <deleted>in' masterpiece. I love this man and I love The Pogues, I think Shane is one of the best songwriters ever. And I would love to drink some beers with some of this guys.

Now it's possible to rent the movie but only in USA, I made it with a VPN connected to USA. This is the trailer:

That looks awesome, I'm going to seek it out. Reminds me that Kirsty has passed away as well. She was an incredible talent.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jonga80 said:

Something in that trailer made me search "The Pogues in Thailand"

To be honest, I was expecting better.

16 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Something in that trailer made me search "The Pogues in Thailand"

To be honest, I was expecting better.

I like the song, it's not my favorite but I think it's a great song, that was the last album with Shane in 1990. About the history between The Pogues and Thailand the are many songs in that album and many references to this country:

Sayonara
(Shane MacGowan)

"Okay, it's time for Sayonara..."

Sayonara is Japanese for "good bye." In concert I've heard Shane introduce this song by saying it's about a Yankee (i.e., American) soldier and a Thai hooker. It's also the first of three songs on "Hell's Ditch" set in Thailand (the others being "Summer in Siam" and "House of the Gods.") The boys, or at least Shane, must have had a fun tour of Indochina.

"Ooh she gave me Mekong Whiskey
Ooh she gave me Hong Kong Flu
Ooh she gave me Mekong Whiskey
Put me on a breeze to Katmandu..."

Mekong Whiskey is a local whiskey in Thailand. I have always suspected that "Hong Kong flu" was a reference to some sort of venereal disease, but I haven't been able to confirm it. There was an outbreak of "Hong Kong flu" in the early 1990s that was a pretty nasty viral infection spread by contact with birds (specifically chickens). Katmandu is the capital of Nepal (see Sunnyside of the Street). The chorus itself here seems to be a close cousin to the one in Van Morrison's "Moonshine Whiskey" off his November 1971 Tupelo Honey release

Here the link with all the info: http://www.poguetry.com/hd.htm

Edited by jonga80

On 12/8/2020 at 8:37 PM, jonga80 said:

I have always suspected that "Hong Kong flu" was a reference to some sort of venereal disease, but I haven't been able to confirm it.

That is probably because it isn't a reference to VD. No variation of "Hong Kong flu" on google brings up VD. There was a real Hong Kong flu though. Killed over a million.