UK watchdog studies 'range anxiety' in electric vehicle charging

snoop1130

UK watchdog studies 'range anxiety' in electric vehicle charging

2020-12-02T085630Z_1_LYNXMPEGB10IR_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-AUTOS-ANTITRUST.JPG

An electric car is seen at a charging point at Halfords in Rugby, Britain, November 19, 2020. REUTERS/Molly Darlington/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's competition regulator said on Wednesday it would study whether the fast-growing electric vehicle charging sector worked well in helping drivers deal with "range anxiety", or the worry about not being able to find a chargepoint.

Research showed range anxiety was a key concern for many consumers and ensuring easy access to chargepoints was key to persuading drivers to switch to electric vehicles, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said.

Britain will ban new petrol and diesel vehicles from 2030 to help cut greenhouse gas emissions.

There are almost 20,000 vehicle chargepoints, up from around 1,500 in 2011, although more will be needed in the future as this is the only way to power electric vehicles, the CMA said.

"Being able to easily stop off at a petrol station is a standard part of a journey and consumers must trust that electric chargepoints will provide a similarly straight-forward service," said CMA CEO Andrea Coscelli.

The CMA will look at how to develop a competitive sector while also attracting private investment to help the sector grow, and ensure drivers get the best service from chargepoints.

The CMA said it would consider "how to ensure the sector works well for people now and in the future, which will help to build trust in the service and address any competition issues."

The review will be completed within a year and look at the supply of chargepoints for plug-in hybrid and all-electric passenger electric cars and light vans.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-02

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not like them.

The technology is not perfected when a person cannot drive from Los Angeles to Vegas without stopping to charge it for 30 minutes or more.  

If that is the benchmark for perfection, then the tech has already been perfected. The long range versions of Tesla has a range that exceeds 500km.

If you want to stop and charge, the new V3 superchargers can add almost 300km of range in only 15 min. Most normal people want a 15 min break every 3 hours or so on road trips. So it really isn’t intrusive at all.

Edited by madhav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, madhav said:

If that is the benchmark for perfection, then the tech has already been perfected. The long range versions of Tesla has a range that exceeds 500km.

If you want to stop and charge, the new V3 superchargers can add almost 300km of range in only 15 min. Most normal people want a 15 min break every 3 hours or so on road trips. So it really isn’t intrusive at all.

I think there'll plenty of break time waiting in line to get a charge...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think there'll plenty of break time waiting in line to get a charge...

Various European countries are literally outlawing the sale of petrol and diesel cars beyond a certain date. 2025 in the UK if I recall correctly. On top of this others are providing huge financial incentives to purchase BEV and taxing the hell out of fossil cars. In China there it is extremely expensive to register fossil fuel cars but free for the BEV. 

In the not to distant future you’ll likely have a hard time finding a diesel station! And likely have to wait in line!

Of course Thailand is heavily invested in ICE based cars and automotive parts industry. They will drag their feet as long as possible. I’d imagine it would be quite expensive to switch over to BEV production. I see literally zero incentives at a consumer level for BEV, in fact quite the opposite. They still insist on huge import taxes on anything but Chinese made BEV. And even these Chinese imports, such as the MG ZS EV. If you check overseas prices, is still 20% cheaper to buy in Australia than in Thailand. So someone is still marking up the price or charging excess taxes.

Lack of incentives is quite sad but understandable considering how things work here and how easy it is to hand over brown envelopes to ‘influence’ things.

Anyhow regarding any potential issues, I think there are far more intelligent people than us who are preparing and planning for these kind of situations (such as waiting for a rapid charger). The fact of the matter is though that the vast vast majority of people stick to a common routine 99% of their lives. They charge their battery at home while they sleep, go to work, go shopping during the day etc.

Edited by madhav
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, madhav said:

Various European countries are literally outlawing the sale of petrol and diesel cars beyond a certain date. 2025 in the UK if I recall correctly. On top of this others are providing huge financial incentives to purchase BEV and taxing the hell out of fossil cars. In China there it is extremely expensive to register fossil fuel cars but free for the BEV. 

In the not to distant future you’ll likely have a hard time finding a diesel station! And likely have to wait in line!

Of course Thailand is heavily invested in ICE based cars and automotive parts industry. They will drag their feet as long as possible. I’d imagine it would be quite expensive to switch over to BEV production. I see literally zero incentives at a consumer level for BEV, in fact quite the opposite. They still insist on huge import taxes on anything but Chinese made BEV. And even these Chinese imports, such as the MG ZS EV. If you check overseas prices, is still 20% cheaper to buy in Australia than in Thailand. So someone is still marking up the price or charging excess taxes.

Lack of incentives is quite sad but understandable considering how things work here and how easy it is to hand over brown envelopes to ‘influence’ things.

Anyhow regarding any potential issues, I think there are far more intelligent people than us who are preparing and planning for these kind of situations (such as waiting for a rapid charger). The fact of the matter is though that the vast vast majority of people stick to a common routine 99% of their lives. They charge their battery at home while they sleep, go to work, go shopping during the day etc.

Why do you assume people more intelligent than us are preparing and planning?

Where is all the electricity to charge all the cars going to come from, windmills?

Yes, they will make it extremely expensive to own ANY car. Once again the left will punish to poor under the guise of saving the world.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, madhav said:

I'm wondering when light weight solar panels (perhaps under a 'mask') will cover the roof of the car to provide continuous daytime charging/re-charging?

My guess is that in the near future there will be several such innovations, within the vehicles and outside of the vehicles. 

2 hours ago, madhav said:

Various European countries are literally outlawing the sale of petrol and diesel cars beyond a certain date. 2025 in the UK if I recall correctly.

According to the OP -

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Britain will ban new petrol and diesel vehicles from 2030 to help cut greenhouse gas emissions.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Good step in the right direction .

That leaves more 9 yrs to install the necessary infrastructure .

But what about the big trucks ?

• Like 1

Wrong wording - Britian "Wants" to ban ...

And this is just new car sales

Pipe dream - As if they could build the infrastructure in 9 years - 555

And all the cars and trucks which are still on the road will require gasoline and diesel.

Someone is off their Meds

• Like 2

In Canada, the CBC did a test on an Electric car and its ability for long distance, and it

basically failed. I will not be buying any electric vehicle until the vehicle can go

1000 kms on a charge.  Also I heard that some Tesla vehicles have suspension problems.

The issue of fast charge stations should be closely watched around the world as I think

the reality is way different than the hopeful dreams of the Electric car developers and

the green peoples dreams.

Geezer

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why do you assume people more intelligent than us are preparing and planning?

Where is all the electricity to charge all the cars going to come from, windmills?

Yes, they will make it extremely expensive to own ANY car. Once again the left will punish to poor under the guise of saving the world.

That is generally how government organisations work. They employ teams of highly qualified and experienced individuals to prepare and plan (Except if you live in Thailand, in this case you just give the job to one of your mates from the army)

Windmills? Funny you should mention them, as a matter of fact the vast majority of electricity in Scotland comes from windmills! 

I agree with your last statement. 

6 hours ago, topt said:

According to the OP -

I recalled incorrectly. I got mixed up with the date from Norway. They will ban the sale of them from 2025.

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

In Canada, the CBC did a test on an Electric car and its ability for long distance, and it

basically failed. I will not be buying any electric vehicle until the vehicle can go

1000 kms on a charge.  Also I heard that some Tesla vehicles have suspension problems.

The issue of fast charge stations should be closely watched around the world as I think

the reality is way different than the hopeful dreams of the Electric car developers and

the green peoples dreams.

Geezer

I don’t know about you, but driving 1000km without a break sounds like my worst nightmare! I have done my fair share of road trips, including more than 10,000km over a few months in the USA. Driving more than 3hrs without a break is completely uncomfortable and unnecessary. The maintenance required on BEV is far far less than fossil cars. The latest Lexus EV has a 1 million km warranty on the battery! 

I am not sure if many people are aware that in various countries electric vehicles are becoming the norm. Take Norway for example, more than 70% of new car sales are BEV over the last few months.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'm wondering when light weight solar panels (perhaps under a 'mask') will cover the roof of the car to provide continuous daytime charging/re-charging?

My guess is that in the near future there will be several such innovations, within the vehicles and outside of the vehicles. 

We had solar power cars twenty years ago. 

1 hour ago, madhav said:

The latest Lexus EV has a 1 million km warranty on the battery! 

I'd imagine that's a "loss leader"    ie they know the battery will not last that long  but will replace it when it does actually fail  there could also be some "interpretation"  as to when the battery fails...is it a failed battery at 50% of original capacity   or at 10% capacity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johng said:

I'd imagine that's a "loss leader"    ie they know the battery will not last that long  but will replace it when it does actually fail  there could also be some "interpretation"  as to when the battery fails...is it a failed battery at 50% of original capacity   or at 10% capacity. 

And the battery warranty is likely not transferable...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madhav said:

Windmills? Funny you should mention them, as a matter of fact the vast majority of electricity in Scotland comes from windmills! 

36% Nuclear. A chunk more from hydro.

Edited by polpott

1 hour ago, madhav said:

That is generally how government organisations work. They employ teams of highly qualified and experienced individuals to prepare and plan...

I think this is hilarious. That has just not been my experience with the government organizations I have dealt with over the years. 

One thing I do not like about electric cars, especially, but all cars. The batteries do not get recycled.

Many things in the world do not get recycled and there are garbage dumps all over the world

with stacks of, tires, batteries, old cars and trucks. All sorts of garbage just sit around, rust or pollute 

with the leakage fo what ever liquids were inside of what ever they are. THat is the sad truth of the

waste in the world. There is a lot of it that will never be recycled. If I am driving 1000 kms in a day, in

Canada there are not always quick chargers that are available, so that is why I have no trust in the

present electric cars. The hybrid vehicles are a better idea for large countries like the USA, Canada,

Australia because of the mileage some people have to drive to get anywhere. The city people around the world that want a 2nd car to get around in the city, can sure use electric cars as that would certainly reduce

the carbon emissions. 

Geezer

11 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

One thing I do not like about electric cars, especially, but all cars. The batteries do not get recycled.

Many things in the world do not get recycled and there are garbage dumps all over the world

with stacks of, tires, batteries, old cars and trucks. All sorts of garbage just sit around, rust or pollute 

with the leakage fo what ever liquids were inside of what ever they are. THat is the sad truth of the

waste in the world. There is a lot of it that will never be recycled. If I am driving 1000 kms in a day, in

Canada there are not always quick chargers that are available, so that is why I have no trust in the

present electric cars. The hybrid vehicles are a better idea for large countries like the USA, Canada,

Australia because of the mileage some people have to drive to get anywhere. The city people around the world that want a 2nd car to get around in the city, can sure use electric cars as that would certainly reduce

the carbon emissions. 

Geezer

Lead acid batteries get recycled, it's just the high-tech batteries the left is demanding that are not recycled. 

In 2017, sales of electric vehicles exceeded one million cars per year worldwide for the first time1. Making conservative assumptions of an average battery pack weight of 250 kg and volume of half a cubic metre, the resultant pack wastes would comprise around 250,000 tonnes and half a million cubic metres of unprocessed pack waste, when these vehicles reach the end of their lives

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1682-5

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

In 2017, sales of electric vehicles exceeded one million cars per year worldwide for the first time1. Making conservative assumptions of an average battery pack weight of 250 kg and volume of half a cubic metre, the resultant pack wastes would comprise around 250,000 tonnes and half a million cubic metres of unprocessed pack waste, when these vehicles reach the end of their lives

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1682-5

Yes, lefty's end game is that no one but the rich elite (them) is able to have a car.