Any recommendation for a 5.1 AV receiver with free internet radio?

Speedhump

22 hours ago, Encid said:

I bought the Marantz SR-5014 about 6 months ago for just under 30K... and am very happy with it.

You can stream music or listen to internet radio from all leading music services and control the SR-5014 with voice control compatibility via Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Siri.

If you have local music libraries on your smart phone or tablet, or on a networked hard drive, the SR-5014 lets you stream your favorite audio tracks wirelessly via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

And you can't beat the 4K video and digital sound processing capability.

Setup was so simple with the Marantz Audyssey MultEQ XT for seamless setup of your listening environment.

I highly recommend it.

The Marantz unit looks amazing. 

I have had a Yahama RX-V450 with JBL speakers, but I have never really achieved good sound balance.

Did you get it from Piyanas and do they also offer installation and testing? 

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

On 12/11/2020 at 9:58 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Marantz unit looks amazing. 

I have had a Yahama RX-V450 with JBL speakers, but I have never really achieved good sound balance.

Did you get it from Piyanas and do they also offer installation and testing? 

Yes I did get it from Piyanas, and yes they do offer installation and testing, but it really is so simple I did it myself.

I bought it to replace a 10 year old Denon 1080p receiver as I wanted the 4K video and the latest sound processing capability.

So it was a simple matter of replacing all the HDMI cables with HDMI2, and reconnecting the speakers to the new receiver. I have Infinity speakers.

With the measurement microphone and cardboard stand (supplied with the receiver), setup is simple as MultEQ XT analyzes each speaker's output (including the subwoofer if you have one) at up to eight measurement locations and generates precision digital filters that optimize each channel for the correct frequency and time domain response.

Although it is a 7:1 receiver, I only have 5 surround speakers plus a sub and it was a breeze to set up.

The primary measurement location is where you would normally sit in front of the TV, so you set up the microphone on it's stand at that location and at the height that your ears would be, then start the Audyssey MultEQ XT running for simple setup and room calibration.

I had a quick look at the Owner's Manual for the RX-V450 and it does not appear to have the sound balance and room calibration features that the Marantz has.

The Dolby and DTS sound decoders are also dated.

The input and output ports are all RCA plugs not HDMI and there is no mention of video out resolution so I suspect that it is only DVD quality (480p).

If you feel like upgrading you would be hard pressed to do better than the SR-5014. :biggrin:

• Like 1