Not sure where to post this Mods. Please move where you think best.

I want to bring a cashier's check from my American credit union, to deposit in my Bangkok Bank account when I return in January.

Will Bangkok Bank accept it?

Please no comments about other transfer of funds methods. This is a yes or no question based on factual knowledge.

Thanks.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

No reason why they will not honor it albeit it will take sometime to clear it, and don't forget to ask the bank for the toto3 credit note from the bank to show that you have brought money from overseas...

That's what I thought. Not worried about the time limit.

7 hours ago, i Phad said:

I want to bring a cashier's check from my American credit union, to deposit in my Bangkok Bank account when I return in January.

Please no comments about other transfer of funds methods. This is a yes or no question based on factual knowledge.

Thanks.

From my own experience, which goes back some years, my answer is definitely YES. However, it may take some time (even weeks) until the check is cleared and credited to your account. Wouldn't it be better to have the funds transferred in another way?

• Like 2

I have paid several cheques from US banks into my Bangkok Bank account without problem. Make sure however that the name on the cheque is identical to the account name, or

you will have a problem. You will get the money credited to your account in 3-4 weeks

• Thanks 1

Depending on the amount bring some or all in the form of Travelers Check so you'll have some initial funds available if needed.  Safe and good exchange rate.  Do not forget to declare before departing USA.  Can't remember the max now but it includes all funds and negotiable instruments you have with you.   Make sure you double check the fee Bangkok Bank may charge.  They do have a detail of their chargesfor various services on their website.

• Thanks 1

In 1997, living in Phuket, I had a cashier's check and gave it to BBK and they did not say how long it would take to clear but shortly after, the baht devalued considerably so I lost some money and that is why your idea is not a particularly safe idea and especially during these tumultuous times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, i Phad said:

I've received cashier's cheque from US, but it's a few years ago since last. However, your bank might wish to send it for cashing the funds, before they credit your account – pretty normal method – which depending of bank can take from a week, and up to fairly long time. Based on experience from earlier days it could take a month, in Thailand it took about a weeks time with the cashier's cheques I got.

When I arrived here 4 years ago, I brought a cashiers check with me from a large midwest bank. I took it to Bangkok bank main office in Bangkok. They had no idea what it was. I could not cash it. I ended up opening an account and having money wired.

Maybe it has changed in the 4 years since, but I doubt it.

14 hours ago, i Phad said:

I have. The answer varies day to day and person to person.

We had a Sterling cheque. Requirement was account had to be in use for min. of 6 months. They took a copy of the cheque and a few days later called to say it can be deposited. Took about 2 months till money showed in the account. I doubt any of their staff will commit to a reliable yes/no. over the phone. A better wsy would be transferring the money

Bkk Bank will ask why you don't do it by transfer.

• Thanks 1

I am stuck here in the US and need to send money to Thailand often..... I sent over 250,000 Baht this past month to different accounts in Thailand from my USA bank account and I did it all online... With TRANSFERWISE....  Look them up.... Google them.... They are Great and if you have your US account online then while you are in Thailand you can open a Thai account and then transfer money via TRANSFERWISE...... or you can leave money on deposit with TRANSFERWISE as I do sometimes and then almost instantly you can move it to your Thai account... Transferwise also gives you a better exchange rate which more than covers their small charges....

As I am writing this I checked both rates -- TRANSFERWISE ig giving 30.17 baht to the dollar.... BANGKOK BANK is paying 29.73.... THAT MORE THAN COVERS THEIR CHARGE TO SEND THE MONEY.....

I have a lot of time nowdays and I have done much research and hope it helps others........ Ken

10 hours ago, Kurtf said:

Here in Chiang Mai I tried to cash /deposit my stimulus check from the US government and Bangkok Bank would not accept it. I ha to FedEx to my credit union in America. Cost me $30.

Most banks these days have mobile banking. Couldn’t you have used your credit unions mobile banking app to capture and deposit the check? (With VPN on phone set to U.S. server.)

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 3:18 PM, i Phad said:

Thanks.

Make it out to Bangkok Bank and no problem. I think cash available right away.