Tax ID on retirement extension?

My last Thai Tax ID from my last job is over 10 years ago and the tax number format I have from that does not match today's 13 digits needed today to complete some business documents for my bank.

1. Can I get a new Tax ID today as a retired foreigner here?

2. What is procedure and documents required to take to a local tax office please?

Thanks.

It would be much easier you would go direct to the Tax Revenue department and ask yourself there. As the main problem is (as always in Thailand) needed documents can change from office to office. Then you not told which documents you have yourself. 

Go to the Tax Revenue Office for your district (area) depends where you are located... bring in your passport, your old Tax-card (paper), your Pink ID (if you have) your yellow book (if you have) and think for a good reason why you want a tax ID. I think you have a fair chance to receive a new ID, especially as you already had an old one.

Ok thanks for that reply. The office will be at Klong Toey somewhere, never been before, but I have a Yellow Book for that district.

It seems one of my foreign banks, outside Thailand, insists on me providing a 13 digit tax ID since my address is in Thailand and I don't have anything from another country.

Hopefully the new ID get provided as I wait, and does not mean a return visit. I actually now live in a second location some distance away?

Edited by Hamus Yaigh

On 12/3/2020 at 7:08 AM, Hamus Yaigh said:

Can I get a new Tax ID today as a retired foreigner here?

The usual excuse is you need one to reclaim back tax withheld on bank interest - even if you don't actually bother. However since you already have one not sure how that will fly. If you explain about bank requirements they hopefully will help you. 

As the poster above mentions if retired and no Thai income then theoretically no reason to have a Thai TIN. I have successfully argued this with one foreign bank as have some other posters.

You could also try  telling your bank that Thailand has not implemented CRS yet (planning to but no set date for it) so its currently irrelevant..........

• Like 1

It is very easy to get a TIN as a foreigner here on a long term visa. As above, ask the local office, bring all your docs, no two offices will require the same. Took less than an hour in Bangna, even during lunchtime.

As the OECD rolls out CRS it will become increasingly difficult to conduct financial transactions, operate bank accounts or buy and sell real estate outside Thailand without a Thai TIN if you are resident here.

From early 2019 I had to provide my Thai TIN to be able to continue to use my bank accounts in HK and China, some I have had for 30 years.

The risk is that Thailand may seek in the long term to tax residents on global income. However, there are far more Thais, much richer than us, with far more to lose and more influence that will not be keen on that happening any time soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, did it earlier in the week inside 10 minutes at Klong Toey with pp, yellow book and got a new TIN#. There was a lot of discussion about how they should enter me on their terminal as I was retired with no current employment income, but they just did it anyway.

Very friendly and helpful service.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

OK, did it earlier in the week inside 10 minutes at Klong Toey with pp, yellow book and got a new TIN#. There was a lot of discussion about how they should enter me on their terminal as I was retired with no current employment income, but they just did it anyway.

Very friendly and helpful service.

Did they want to know anything about your tax situation between finishing work and now, bearing in mind you previously paid tax but had not filed for years (assuming you were in Thailand)?

Edited just now by mokwit

7 hours ago, mokwit said:

Did they want to know anything about your tax situation between finishing work and now,

There was nothing to do on my part, no forms to fill or anything. I just had to sign a register log book to agree they attended to me. We did chat about income and I said I am here on retirement status since 10 years, so no income as far as Thailand goes.

• Thanks 1