Jump to content

Fake News: Violators face 5 years jail for sharing Covid post


Recommended Posts

Fake News: Violators face 5 years jail for sharing Covid post
 
1pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News
 
The Chiang Mai department of public health warned the public that they face serious repercussions for sharing what they said was fake news online. 
 
A post had appeared that claimed people could not travel to anywhere in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and parts of eight other provinces from December 4th because of a Covid-19 ban.
 
The department said that there were no restrictions on travel to Chiang Mai and people could be jailed for five years or face fines up to 100,000 baht under computer crime legislation for sharing the erroneous news. 
 
The other provinces mentioned in the post were Mae Hong Son, Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khirikhan, Chumphon and Ranong. 
 
Source: Daily News
 
 
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

And just how is anyone supposed to know what is fake news and what is not?

 

By not reading FB, Tweets, LINE and the rest of the <deleted> or at least verify what is seen on there via official channels before passing it on.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

And just how is anyone supposed to know what is fake news and what is not? I have Thai friends that passed it on in good faith; then passed on the pic in the OP as soon as they received it..........bloody madness, but TIT

If it's from social media, chances are it's fake, misleading or divisive.  News comes from proper outlets.  Not social media.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webfact said:

The department said that there were no restrictions on travel to Chiang Mai and people could be jailed for five years or face fines up to 100,000 baht under computer crime legislation for sharing the erroneous news. 

Seems a bit harsh, but authoritarians do what keeps them in power, for now anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Salerno said:

 

By not reading FB, Tweets, LINE and the rest of the <deleted> or at least verify what is seen on there via official channels before passing it on.

Then make sure the powers that be approve it .

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

5 years for fake Covid news, how many years will those sneaking

into Thailand ,already infected with the virus get.....

regards worgeordie

5 wais.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

If it's from social media, chances are it's fake, misleading or divisive.  News comes from proper outlets.  Not social media.

Proper outlets? MSM?? I don't know any "proper" ones. The interesting ones are banned more and more and deleted by Facebook and YouTube "factcheckers".

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

If it's from social media, chances are it's fake, misleading or divisive.  News comes from proper outlets.  Not social media.

seems even "proper" news outlets cant be trusted either, especially in usa.... sigh worlds gone crazy

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sevenhills said:

What are the "Proper outlets" then?

 

Check here.  It lays it out quite well.  Not perfect, but pretty good.

 

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

 

11 hours ago, yawg said:

Proper outlets? MSM?? I don't know any "proper" ones. The interesting ones are banned more and more and deleted by Facebook and YouTube "factcheckers".

 

Sad commentary.  There are plenty of proper ones.  The interesting ones banned by FB and YT are done for a reason.  Fake news! LOL.  Sad some don't understand that.

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, honcho said:

seems even "proper" news outlets cant be trusted either, especially in usa.... sigh worlds gone crazy

 

Proper news outlets can be trusted.  Great quote from Bernie Sanders today in Twitter:

Quote

Trump's rants about a "fraudulent election" are not a joke. They are the most significant attack against our democracy in history. If the election system's "rigged," if the media's "fake," if federal officials are part of a "deep state," who can you trust? You got it. A dictator.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1334589920283914242

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...