Thailand tourism return: Government told to "be brave" and open travel bubbles allowing Chinese tour groups

webfact

Problem is once you let them in there is an invasion and then nobody else wants to go there. 
Could easily see this happening on one of the islands...kinda like Sinhoukville.

Once social media gets a hold of it there will be no farang tourists. Thai need to choose if they want to catch lay the short game or be in it for the long haul.

Edited by XJPSX
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

What about Perth Australia ?  It has turned out to be the safest city in the world, If not very close to the top.  Planes would definitely be full and a much better class of tourist with money to spend. But as for all the paperwork and compulsory 2 weeks in hotel lockdown, I bet nobody would go.

If I could get the Visa and a plane, I would be back in a shot. But not if I have to do two weeks locked down in Phuket or BKK

• Like 2

No point trying to keep up with TAT and the rest of them. They're just teasing with all these different ideas, until the vaccines are rolled out.

My bet is tourism will become vaccine dependent, so us older folk will get the early seats ????

Expect recovery to start around March to June, then gather momentum in the 2nd half of the year.

People will resume their love of escapism holidays and world will return to the old normal by the end of next year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jaiyen said:

What about Perth Australia ?  It has turned out to be the safest city in the world, If not very close to the top.  Planes would definitely be full and a much better class of tourist with money to spend. But as for all the paperwork and compulsory 2 weeks in hotel lockdown, I bet nobody would go.

4 hours ago, b2bme said:

No its a terrible place. Best advise to stay away from here. Please don't look at this week's weather forecast, and please don't Google our beaches and tourist attractions. Its all false. Not safe to fly here and too much paperwork. I hope your right and nobody comes here.

Plus it’s called all tooooo hard at moment,diffently not worth the pain and rd tape

10 hours ago, harada said:

They don’t seem to be able to snap out of this Chinese dream, I can see Thailand being left behind by others in the region if they don’t wake up soon.

That's assuming the Chinese even want to come to Thailand with 6 known Thais hopping across the border from Myanmar riddled with Covid-19 and not going into quarantine!! Maybe they hope no one reads the news and makes a mockery of everyone else doing two weeks quarantine

All the emphasis on Chinese tourists bringing money in is perhaps misplaced. They are not known as big spenders. Which group dragged Thailand out of the backwaters from the 70s onward? Someone must have poured money in as the Chinese were the ones trying to convert the country to Communism and definitely weren't the tourists that made Thailand what it became world famous for.

37 minutes ago, Purdey said:

All the emphasis on Chinese tourists bringing money in is perhaps misplaced. They are not known as big spenders. Which group dragged Thailand out of the backwaters from the 70s onward? Someone must have poured money in as the Chinese were the ones trying to convert the country to Communism and definitely weren't the tourists that made Thailand what it became world famous for.

the 70's?  dude, that was half a freakin' century ago. 

the times, they've been a'changin'.

china was in the midst of the cultural revolution then.

yesterday they landed on the moon to retrieve samples.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Given Oz’s ridiculous prices, definitely not a goer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emdog said:

Difference between being brave and stupid, but we can't ask powers that be to make that distinction as they have experience with neither.

Opinion based on latent rascism or low selfesteem? i just cant choose but facts tell you are wrong.

Just take a look at how Thailand (and China) manage and contain a global pandemic, compare that with the utter weak and failed leadership in America and most western countries.

Thailand, China, everything under control, most of the economy busines as usual. Safety.

America, Europe, wave after wave, chaos, continued high death toll, half baked lockdowns and public life still shattered, economy gets punched in the face. Until there is a vaccin, the covid will continue, and most likely thanks to anti vaxxers and sympathisers covid will stay alive and always lurking in the dark.

To contain a pandemic, it takes smart leaders. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

Dificult choiche for the Thais, choosing between sexpats and lowincome pensioners and backpackers on one hand, and large groups of Chinese tourist....

Are you a sexpat or low income pensioner?

Edited by Olivie
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, harada said:

They don’t seem to be able to snap out of this Chinese dream, I can see Thailand being left behind by others in the region if they don’t wake up soon.

You underestimate how many Chinese tourists were visiting Thailand while other nations fell off.

Chinese tourism, like it or not, is the only real tourism keeping the region’s tourism industry afloat during normal times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, herwin1234 said:

Dificult choiche for the Thais, choosing between sexpats and lowincome pensioners and backpackers on one hand, and large groups of Chinese tourist....

That’s not difficult at all. They go for the group that spends the most money.

5 hours ago, XJPSX said:

Problem is once you let them in there is an invasion and then nobody else wants to go there. 
Could easily see this happening on one of the islands...kinda like Sinhoukville.

Once social media gets a hold of it there will be no farang tourists. Thai need to choose if they want to catch lay the short game or be in it for the long haul.

China is the long haul. 

The days of white single males being the predominant tourist in Thailand are long over.  Chinese are also now the #1 group by far for long term visas such as the Elite. 

• Like 1

Will the Thai government ever listen to the people?  OK, due to Covid 19 there have been several reports of shops and restaurants placing 'No Foreigners' signs in their windows but in normal times I've never seen a sign saying 'No Farangs'.  I have however, seen plenty of signs saying No Chinese (Russians too) outside hotels and guest houses.

It may be advisable for Prayuth & Co to learn what Thai people in general, think of Chinese people (advisable but unlikely).  I'm not being racist at all, and neither am I commenting either way on whether the feelings I'm aware of are justified. I'm simply saying that most of the Thai people that I've spoken to in my home city of Nakhon Ratchasima simply don't like the Chinese (putting it nicely) and I get the feeling that their sentiments are widespread. They can't stand their manners (or lack of), the way they share drinks and food etc. etc. and they are very aware that many Chinese tourists, especially those in tour groups, don't actually spend that much (on goods and items where the profit stays in Thailand). The manager of a large hotel told me that when Chinese guests arrive, the mini bar in their rooms is emptied before they get access - to save the arguments he says almost always happen when they check out - reminds me of Indians arguing about their 99kg of luggage on check in at Manchester ????.

It just so happens that my home city is also the PM's home city.

Not that the gov would give a damn about what the Thai people think - its all about money but all this cosying up to the Chinese could possibly backfire in the future.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AMFWolfie said:

That's assuming the Chinese even want to come to Thailand with 6 known Thais hopping across the border from Myanmar riddled with Covid-19 and not going into quarantine!! Maybe they hope no one reads the news and makes a mockery of everyone else doing two weeks quarantine

The Chinese won’t care about that ! You make it sound like they are a select bunch. A few cases is nothing. They are still having these regularly in China but they control the area incredibly well. 
Chinese are itching to go on a group tour. Escape the smog and spend some RMB and go toe to toe with each other at a buffet for a prawn.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The economic situation on the holiday island is seen as so dire and in imminent danger of complete collapse

Repeat for EVERY city in Thailand which put all its eggs in one Chinese basket.  You reap what you have sown. Allow them back at your peril.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcnx said:

You underestimate how many Chinese tourists were visiting Thailand while other nations fell off.

Chinese tourism, like it or not, is the only real tourism keeping the region’s tourism industry afloat during normal times. 

China is the most important single country with nearly 11 million visitors in 2019 but a second important driver is the large increase in tourists from other Asian countries. Tourists from Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Taiwan were nearly 14 million in 2019 so they were certainly helping to keep things 'afloat', as well.   

Possibly less important, at least to Thailand's tourism thinking, are UK, Germany, and France.  Combined figures for these 3 countries are around 2.6 million visitors.  If you throw in USA you get around 3.8 million.  Australia and Russia bring the total to around 6 million.   So, 6 million vs. 25 million from China and other Asian countries.  You can see where Thailand's focus is likely to be.