Mobile phone charges outside promotional rates must not exceed Bt1.60 per minute

webfact

Mobile phone charges outside promotional rates must not exceed Bt1.60 per minute

By THE NATION

800_7e4fca7196ccdfc.jpg

The Royal Gazette website on Wednesday published an announcement by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) that the maximum rate charged for domestic mobile telephone services, among other things, must not exceed Bt1.60 per minute outside sales promotion rates provided by operators, while mobile Internet charges should not be more than Bt0.9 per megabyte.

The announcement, signed by NBTC chairman Sukit Khamasundara, stipulated that mobile phone services outside promotional rates must not exceed the following rates:

- Voice services: Bt1.6 per minute

- Short message service (SMS): Bt2.5 per message

- Multimedia messaging service (MMS): Bt4.5 per message

- Mobile Internet: Bt0.9 per megabyte

The above rates however do not include value added tax.

The announcement takes effect retroactively on November 25. Operators who have set fees outside promotional rates at higher than the rate stipulated in this announcement prior to the date of effect may continue using their rates until contracts expire, but must not exceed 270 days from the effective date.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399008

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-03

Thai mobile still seems expensive, probably due to all the license fees paid by operators.

In the UK, my current 30 day pre-paid package costs £10  (406 baht) and offers:  7GB Data  600 Minutes  Unlimited Texts

In Thailand, earlier in 2020 I was using a True 30 day pre-paid package, with I think, 3 GB of data for about 407 baht.   No free calls, no free texts.

They seem to have deleted the 30 day package at this price point.

They now do a 30 day 2GB package for 199 plus taxes, but 2GB is not enough.

I can get 2x15 day 10GB packages for 199 baht plus taxes.   Lots of data, no free calls or texts.   Hassle of renewing every 15 day.

Maybe I need to shop around.  Contracts are not an option, as I only want to buy packages when in the country.

Edited by jaizan