Painted licenses plate

Misab

Why doesn’t anyone do something about the growing urge to paint the license plate white and thus illegible. I don’t know if this is a problem in all provinces but it is apparently in Hua Hin area.

I can see the advantage if a person is driving crazy, if he is in a hit, he can run and no one can get the licenses number.

12 minutes ago, Misab said:

Why doesn’t anyone do something about the growing urge to paint the license plate white and thus illegible.

That would require effort on the part of the Police... It's rampant, I have travelled a lot in the last few months and it's everywhere... In fact I have toyed with the idea myself as they roll out more and more cameras ????

On 12/3/2020 at 11:19 AM, jackdd said:

Because the police in Thailand is too lazy to do their job, same as with many other things.

I think it's sanded off or somehow rubbed off, not painted over.

The black paint is often poor and in my experience the pressure washer used in all these car washes will remove the black over time. If they wont by a damn  bulb when lights dont work kn the back, you got no chance in them buying plates ! And you are not supposed to paint them back yourself.( apparently)

A few years back there was a bad batch of plates that lost their paint easily.

I've seen a small shop near the S&M minimart on Sisaket Rd in Ubon that made copy "illegal" licence plates. Don't know if hes still in operation.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:25 AM, CharlieH said:

The black paint is often poor and in my experience the pressure washer used in all these car washes will remove the black over time. If they wont by a damn  bulb when lights dont work kn the back, you got no chance in them buying plates ! And you are not supposed to paint them back yourself.( apparently)

So, you mean that the white paint stay shiny all over the plate as if it was new, but the black paint fall off.   Ha, ha.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2020 at 7:03 PM, NanLaew said:

Nobody is spraying their plates white. The black paint on the numbers and lettering is rubbish, fades gradually on some plates and gives the washed out look. Next time you see a 'sprayed' number plate on a car that's parked up, go and take a close look. The orange peel effect of the black will make the less savvy think it has been sprayed over. Then look at the anti-counterfeiting horizontal wavy lines between the rego number and the province (see below). You can still see those clearly because if the plate had been sprayed over, you wouldn't.

M4B44Q.jpg.0358adf5e6c770bcb82dbf4f7dd17e1c.jpg

I replaced my faded, 5-year old plates earlier this year after a friendly bobby pulled me over and advised me to do so. They can't fine you for faded plates but they can fine you if you try and repaint the faded black bits yourself. Something about altering an official government-issued 'document'.

I did take a closer look, and it is definitely painted white

• Haha 1

On 12/3/2020 at 9:56 AM, johng said:

I don't think many paint the plate white  its just the crappy  black paint falls off after a while.

Exactly that in many cases. Our car is 5 years old and the number plate (top picture) has faded to gray over the years but still legible. My DIL's car is 15+ years old, number plate (bottom picture) is almost as good as new yet she says she's never renewed the plate in the 10 years she's had it.

Newer Plate.JPG

Older Plate.JPG

Edited by MartinL
Attach photos